2009 Nissan Versa suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Versa:

2009 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Apr 252014

Versa

My passenger side front spring broke and speared my tire, luckily while I was parking. When I got it towed to the mechanic, they showed me that the left spring was cracked and ready to break as well. I had to pay to have both replaced. Mechanic informed me that this is a known issue. I'm very concerned that this might happen again while I'm driving with my 8 year old in the car.

- Watertown, MA, USA

Oct 032015

Versa

Front drivers side spring broke while car was parked in driveway. Found lower part of the coil spring on the ground.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 012015

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. While at a completed stop, the contact heard a loud abnormal popping noise under the vehicle. The contact got out to inspect the vehicle and noticed that the coil spring fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- New Berlin, NY, USA

Jul 052015

Versa

I was pulling out of the driveway and heard a loud scratching noise and then my tire went flat. Cut the inside of the tire. 2 weeks later went to my mechanic for something else and he said the rear spring was broke and so was the other front. Grateful that nothing happened while driving at higher speed

- Fair Haven, VT, USA

Aug 292015

Versa

As I was driving, suddenly my tire blew. There was a load noise. I had to pull over right away. When we took the tire off there was a gash surrounding the entire tire. When I went to get new tires, I was told that the spring was broken and that it was the cause of my tire blowing. They said it was very unusual for a spring and strut to have to be replaced with my car being not that old with not that many miles on it.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Sep 042015

Versa

Pulling out of parking lot after work and heard a loud clunk from front of car. Right side of care was sitting lower then left side, mechanic said spring broke. Same thing happened 2 weeks ago to other side of car and had that front spring and strut replaced and car aligned. If this is happening frequently, why no recall. Will have the rear coil springs checked when I get the car inspected but after these 2 repair bills and of course my warrantly had run out and I did not extend. Who would think that a care I bought new, well maintained and with only 22000 miles would have this happen.

- Northumberland, PA, USA

Aug 212015

Versa

After dropping my vehicle at the dealer for other service, I was notified that the left front spring was broken, and that the axle boot was leaking. Both necessitated replacement.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Jan 312015

Versa

My car was at jones junction Nissan on 1/31/15 for a routine oil change and brake pad replacement. When the tech lowered the car from the list the shock coil on the driver side snapped. We replaced it and thought it was a fluke accident. 8 months later on 8/10/15, at some point while my car was sitting in the company parking lot of my work building the passenger side shock coil snapped. I didn't notice the issue until pulling out of the parking lot and hearing the sound of metal on metal. Once the car was towed to jones we saw it was the other coil snapping. While making repairs we discovered that Nissan has almost 100 registered complaints for these coils snapping. You can add me to the list.

- White Marsh, MD, USA

Jul 312015

Versa

Driver side front coil spring broke while driving, rubbing front tire, towed to Nissan dealer 07-31-15 - tamaroff Nissan - southfield, mi. Car has only slightly more than 25,000 miles, asked Nissan dealership if this was a recall or an issue part, they said no, and that this repair was not covered, I asked that it be referred to Nissan corporate customer service, which they did. I did not hear back from Nissan Corp. Customer service until 08-14-15 noting the coil spring replacement was not covered, and that my request was denied. I again asked that it be escalated to the next supervisor level for review. As of this date my car is still at the dealership.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Aug 102015

Versa

I was routinely pulling into my driveway, and I heard a single ping/knock sound, immediately followed by a grinding noise, coming from the front right of the car. The car instantly became difficult to maneuver. Upon immediate inspection, I could see that the lower part of the coil spring had broken cleanly. The remaining portion of the spring had come away from the metal restraining plate, and was extending against the inside top part of the tire. The metal did not puncture the tire, but it is significantly indenting the rubber. The car is not driveable. Furthermore, the left coil spring, in the same relative place, shows significant corrosion, and does not look safe for driving. Coil springs are expected to last the lifetime of a car-- especially one well cared for and driven in almost ideal conditions, like mine. I have never had a coil spring break on me. This is no coincidence, as the second one appears to be faulty as well. I can only feel grateful that this didn't happen while I was driving with my family on the highway. Has this occurred on the highway, the tire would have surely blown out, and I would have lost control of the vehicle. Nissan needs to step up and recall these springs before someone loses their life! I will need to have my suspension repaired, as well as possibly my front right tire. I wholly expect Nissan to pick up the tab for this.

- Aston, PA, USA

Feb 202014

Versa

Both front springs shattered, and parts of the springs were loose around the struts and fell off the car.

- Littleton , MA, USA

Jul 202015

Versa

My wife had just backed out of the driveway and started driving down our road. Just as she started she heard a loud noise and the car steering became difficult. There is a service station 1/8th mile from our house. She drove the car extremely slowly (5mph) to the station and had the mechanic check the car. The mechanic turned the steering wheel and one of the front suspension shock absorber springs fell out of the car - broken into two pieces. It had fatigued and catastrophically failed. The mechanic informed her that she was very lucky this did not happen when she was driving normal speed as it could have sliced the tire and caused a blow out at high speed. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs to report the incident and they informed me there was no recall for this issue and that since the car was no longer under warranty the repair cost was my responsibility. It cost approx $650 to replace both front suspension units.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Jul 202015

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 5 mph, a loud abnormal sound emitted from the vehicle and the steering became difficult to steer. The vehicle was merged over to a gas station where an independent mechanic diagnosed that the front shock absorber spring failed. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000....updated 11/04/15

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Jul 252015

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 45 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front driver side of the vehicle. The contact stated that the vehicle felt abnormally lower. The contact stopped the vehicle and noticed that the coil spring was fractured in two places. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Mohnton, PA, USA

May 152014

Versa

Right front coil spring, alignment thrust broken when backing out of driveway into road.

- Manchester, CT, USA

Jul 122015

Versa

As I was driving, at 40 mph I heard a loud noise I pulled over to the side of the road and I see a piece of my spring on the road I had my vehicle towed to a shop and I am told that I need both front springs replaced, and ball joints please note the ball joints were just done so I am concerned if the spring coil had anything to do with this issue, there was no rust on or near the spring and prior to this breaking, the vehicle was driving to its normal standards.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Jul 132015

Versa

:while pulling into the parking lot at work (thankfully was not driving on a road or at full speed), my front driver's side tire snapped out of place. At first, we thought it was a ball joint, but once it was brought to the garage, I was told that the spring had snapped and would need to be replaced on both sides, to the tune of 1400 dollars. While I am thankful that I wasn't driving on a highway or near pedestrians (I work in a city), having this happen on a 6 year old car seems a little suspicious. I hope there is some sort of recall and would love to know if Nissan is willing to reimburse the 1400 I unexpectedly had to pay.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Jun 262015

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 30 mph, an abnormal noise emitted from the front of the vehicle and it began to bounce. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the front driver side leaf spring was fractured and needed to be replaced. The dealer also suggested that the passenger side leaf spring needed to be replaced due to severe corrosion. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. In addition, the driver and passenger side control arms were replaced due to corrosion. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 222014

Versa

My wife's 2009 Nissan Versa drivers side front end collapsed onto her tire last year in the last week of June 2014. When I entered the vehicle and placed the gear into drive the front driver end collapsed on the tire and a piece of the metal strut fell out of the car onto the pavement. We contacted the company and Nissan finally decided to pay for the repair after we threatened to take legal action. We asked the dealer mechanic who repaired the shock/strut that we were now concerned that the other side would be faulty and if it was safe and/or it needed to be replaced. He said he checked it and it was fine. Sure enough just a little more than 1 year from then my pregnant wife wakes up to find the front end of her car collapsed on the passenger side while being parked in our driveway. We are extremely fortunate that neither one of us was driving the car when both of these incidents occurred. I am currently trying to deal with Nissan now to rectify this situation but felt it necessary to warn others that this is a growing problem and a severe concern to the safety and welfare of all who drive.

- Fairfield, NJ, USA

May 312015

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. While attempting to start the vehicle, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front of the vehicle. In addition, the contact noticed that the coil spring fractured. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the front driver side coil spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Miamisburg , OH, USA