2009 Nissan Versa suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Versa:

2009 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Jan 112015

Versa

Recently, I submitted a safety complaint here about a broken coil spring. At about 39K my right spring went and was replaced by a genuine Nissan replacement coil spring. At about 61K, my left spring broke. I ordered a replacement from Nissan and was going to replace it. Unfortunately, I noticed that the already broken spring had snapped some more and the newly replaced spring had snapped as well when the car was simply sitting on my driveway! the new right side spring only lasted about 22K miles or 15 months. Basically, I have experienced 3 broken coil springs from Nissan after only about 61K miles of driving. I have read the stories at the carcomplaints website and many are similar to mine. Please investigate this problem before someone gets seriously hurt.

- Ontario , NY, USA

Dec 252014

Versa 4-cyl

Recently I noticed a piece of metal near my mailbox. Looking at it I quickly realized it was probably a piece of my Nissan Versa hatchbacks left coil spring. Sure enough, the breakage matched what was on my car. Why did I so quickly guess that it was from my car? because my right coil spring went at about 39000 miles and I had read up on Nissan Versa hatchbacks and sure enough, a bunch of people have had this problem (I actually was waiting for it to happen). My right coil spring broke more drastically when I was going at highway speeds and I went onto a bridge. There was a loud clang and my alignment went whack. Later upon inspection at a repair shop, I realized that I could have had a very bad crash seeing that the sharp part of the broken spring coil was only a few inches away from my tire (it was pretty ugly break). The repair cost me 200$ with a student discount, which I very cheap, some people fair worse. The more recent left coil spring broke without me even noticing anything, I only found the broken piece about half a ring size. Since it was near my mailbox, it must have broke off at low speeds, probably when I drove over the little trough in front of the drive way for the drain. Somehow the rest of the spring just re-aligned itself so I was actually able to drive my car without noticing anything wrong. I obviously wont drive it now unless its to a repair shop. This is unacceptable, I am a 4th year electrical engineering student and I am disappointed at the engineers who designed my car. Other Versa drivers had their wheels blown by these broken coil springs from what I have read, I have just been lucky. I am surprised there has been no recall yet by Nissan or atleast some warning, perhaps no one was seriously hurt yet. When I get out of college and look for a new car, I don't think I will consider Nissan. Thank god I wasn't hurt by these failures.

- Ontario, NY, USA

Dec 202014

Versa 8-cyl

When I put the car in drive to pull out of my parking spot I heard a noise and the front end driver side dropped. I had to replace the coil spring and strut. The strut was damaged due to the coil spring breaking. I had to fix both sides and get front end alignment which cost over $700. Based on what I have read this is a know problem with the Nissan Versas and there should have been a recall. I drive on a highway in bumper to bumper traffic daily and was lucky it did not happen there. The next person may not be so lucky. Nissan needs to do something about this before a serious accident happens.

- Auburn, MA, USA

Dec 032014

Versa 4-cyl

I started to back out of my drive way when I heard a loud cluck sound. Upon checking the ground I found part of the passenger side spring laying on the ground. There is no rust. The part just broke. This appears to be a problem. I am just glad that I was on my way down the highway where someone could have died.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Dec 062014

Versa

We were driving on the garden state parkway doing 65 mph when the front passenger side coil spring broke and punctured the passenger side tire causing a blowout. Luckily I was able to maneuver the car onto the shoulder without causing an accident, but the outcome could have easily been different. At the time I didn't know it was the coil spring, I just thought I ran over something on the highway. It wasn't until I got to a service shop that I learned that it was the coil spring that caused the blowout. Open inspection we saw that the bottom of the spring had just broken clean off. There was no rust any where near where the spring broke. I've done some research on this problem and it's entirely too common for cars that have under 100K miles and are 5 years old or less. My car had 68,432 miles on it when the spring broke and this is something that should not have happened. Of the 159 NHTSA complaints for the 2009 Versa 58 of them are for the coil springs breaking. That?S almost 1/3 of all the complaints and this isn't just a problem for the 2009 model year. Based on the complaints, this has apparently been an ongoing problem with the Versa from when it was introduced to the 2011 model year. Who knows how many vehicles had this problem and the owners never bothered to file a complaint. I would like to know what is being done about this because there seems to be some sort of engineering defect with the coil springs. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Crisfield, MD, USA

Dec 032014

Versa

2009 Nissan Versa hatchback with 50825 miles. Front passenger suspension coil (spring) broke off while driving. Very loud clang/bang sound. Didn't know what happened. Stopped vehicle and did not see anything obvious. When home in garage, upon closer inspection, noticed that the front passenger side coil had broken off. It appeared to have rust on it. I read numerous complaints online regarding same issue online. This is appears to be a defective part and a safety concern that should require a recall. Cost to replace both front coils = $550.

- Moon Township, PA, USA

Nov 212014

Versa

I purchased this car to have a safe vehicle for my baby to ride in and am infuriated that after 5 months of purchasing it and only 72,000 miles, the front passenger side spring snapped clean off. There is no signs of rust and after reading numerous complaints of the same problem from other Versa owners, this clearly is a defect in the part. Why has there not been a recall on this"?? it's a major safety hazard. Is it really going to take for someone to get injured or killed before something is done about it, or is this issue just going to be ignored"

- Everett, MA, USA

Nov 012013

Versa 4-cyl

My car was being inspected in November 2013. The front driver side spring coil was cracked and had to be replaced. In March 2014 I was driving slowly and heard a horribly breaking sound. I found part of my front passenger side coil spring on the ground. It had broken and also had to be replaced. On the part that broke off from the car; there was a clear line. The coil was coated with a protective enamel like coating and was perfectly fine. There was a line however where there was no coating on the coil. This was completely rusted through. It is clear to me that there was a defect in manufacturing of the coil springs. The coil springs are not coated properly and are therefore rusting where there is no protective coat and breaking. There should be an investigation and recall. I had purchased an extended warranty which covered these repairs so fortunately I did not lose any money or suffer any injuries due to this negligence.

- Grantham, PA, USA

Nov 062014

Versa 4-cyl

When pulling out of garage heard loud bang from right front end. Thought had run over something in garage, but found nothing at the time. Drove several hours on highway without further incident until turned sharp into destination driveway and heard a definite suspension "spring-like" sound. Drove around the block turning hard, but sound did not recur. Subsequently heard the same spring sound intermittently, especially when making a hard turn. Had problem evaluated by Nissan dealer who said right front coil spring was broken and needed replaced. Subsequently took in for actual repair and dealer instead recommended to replace both front coil springs (best as a pair), both struts (since right one seeping slightly), and have aligned. Total quoted cost about $750 for all repairs.

- Holland, MI, USA

Aug 112014

Versa 4-cyl

While driving at approximately 35 mph, the front right strut snapped. Less than 30,000 miles on the car. There were no potholes, ditches, or anything that could have caused this breakage. This could have caused a very serious accident..updated 11/03/14 updated 11/06/14

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 122014

Versa 4-cyl

This is second incident in within 3 months period. September of 2014, I went back in for a new oil change & tire rotation. When mechanic was rotating tire, the front left coil spring just snapped right in front of his eyes. Car still drive-able, but is costly to replace. I have a limited income. Now, this seems to be an extreme problem with Nissan Versa. This needs to be put in as a recall and they should be footing the bill for their errors, not us, the trusting consumer.

- Franconia, NH, USA

Jun 122014

Versa 4-cyl

Backing up to change parking spot at work. Heard a really loud noise front right. It ended up being the coil spring apparently. Didn't know that it was because the car drove okay after that. But when I took it in for oil change and tire rotation, that's when it was discovered it was broken. Quite costly to replace. Then in September of 2014, I went back in for a new oil change & tire rotation. When mechanic was rotating tire, the front left coil spring just snapped right in front of his eyes. Car still drivable, but is costly to replace. I have a limited income. Now, this seems to be an extreme problem with Nissan Versa. This needs to be put in as a recall and they should be footing the bill for their errors, not us, the trusting consumer.

- Franconia, NH, USA

Jun 062014

Versa 4-cyl

During the month of May 2014 the Versa started to make clicking noises at the front of the car especially when I applied the brakes. The sounds got worse and the car was not performing well. I took it to the service station in my neighbourhood and the person who repaired my car had to replace the 2 front strut mounts, 2 front coil springs and align the 4'wheels! the car only had 5420 miles on it at that time. Now today, I took the car back to the service person as the car is making the same clicking noises and the steering column is making noise when I turn it to the right! I sent an email to Nissan today to inform them of these problems and also to let them know that the car was taken in again today for more problems that have arisen! thank you.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Jul 272014

Versa 4-cyl

Front right coil spring snapped. I was traveling on a smooth highway with no bumps or turns at the time. Almost caused my family to get into an accident and could have ruptured the tire causing further damage, which was the case for many other people. Upon researching the problem I have discovered a high volume of similar complaints with the same exact vehicle in the northern parts of the United States. I assume this has to do with the salt they use on the roads in the winter causing rapid erosion. My mechanic says this shouldn't happen this early in a car's life. Other car companies, such as Ford, have had similar issues and did issue a recall. It is clearly a safety issue which could cause a fatal accident if not addressed.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

May 202014

Versa 4-cyl

My suspension spring snapped while pulling out of my driveway. This is a known problem with Nissan Versas. I have contacted Nissan na and my local dealer and there is no current recall. I replaced both springs and they were both rusted and flawed. Luckily I wasn't traveling on the highway at the time, or it could have been a lot worse. I encourage those who have similar experiences to contact Nissan and file complaints both with the na office and NHTSA.

- Dover, NH, USA

Apr 152014

Versa

Both front coil springs on my 2009 Nissan Versa snapped in half on the same day. There was no apparent rust or fatigue. The front left tire was gouged out beyond repair from one of the springs (I am lucky it didn't puncture and burst while I was driving it.) I had to replace both coil springs, the mounts, the sway bars, and the tire, costing me nearly $1000 in repairs. I do not believe this is acceptable on a 5 year old vehicle with relatively few miles on it.

- Portland, ME, USA

Jun 222014

Versa 4-cyl

I was taking a right hand turn after a stop sign in a department store parking lot. I heard a loud popping noise stop to check it out. And there was a half moon shaped piece of coil from my driver side suspension laying on the ground.

- Brooklyn Park , MN, USA

May 242014

Versa 4-cyl

Front coil springs broke on 2009 Nissan Versa when pulling out of driveway. Found piece of metal under left side of car that was part of the spring. The right side coil was also broken. I have saved both springs for review. We are the original owners of this car that is driven mainly by my daughter to and from school/work. Very frightening situation for her. Cost to repair both coil springs with labor was $430.72 from a trusted neighborhood mechanic since this did occur on a holiday weekend.

- Totowa, NJ, USA

Jun 052014

Versa 4-cyl

I went to put my car into gear and I my front end dropped and I heard a metal hitting the road sound. I got out and saw by left front end had dropped 3-4 inches and a piece of my coil spring on the ground. I had to get the car towed and repaired for over $580. Thank god I wasn't driving 65 at the time.

- Springfield, VA, USA

May 302014

Versa

We have had two 2009 Nissan Versa for my son's to drive after completing boot camp in the usmc. After Friday's failure, both vehicles have broken coil springs in the front suspension. Fortunately, he was not traveling down the road and was only backing out of the driveway.

- Winchester, VA, USA