2009 Nissan Versa suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Versa:

2009 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

May 212014

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the tire tread separated and the back side of the rubber became separated from the rim. The vehicle was taken to a tire shop and was repaired. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was advised that the suspension spring and the coil tie were fractured. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 43,500.

- Lisle, IL, USA

May 182014

Pulling out of driveway, heard a "pop" noise and later found on the floor a piece of the coil spring from the front passenger side. Had broken off where it comes into contact with the strut plate that holds it in place at the bottom. I called the dealership, they say Nissan won't cover it because its covered only up to 3yr/30000miles. I'm calling Nissan too but need to car so having it towed to my mechanic to replace the coil. Coil spring costs $111.80. I'm sure with parts and service, it would be higher than that. There should be the Nissan recall for this. This is potentially fatal crash problem. Nissan better do the recall or get readied to be sued by someone soon. I read the same problem in Canada Versa forums too. P.S. sorry about the all caps. This is the only way to tell how upset I'm. I use this car to commute my two little daughters to school daily. I would not want this spring to snap at highway.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

May 072014

Versa 4-cyl

Left front coil spring failure, spring snapped as I backed out of driveway, I shudder when I think what would have happened at highway speed, as I travel the garden state parkway daily. This vehicle has never been abused, and in my almost 40 years of being around cars I have never seen a potentially deadly spring failure as this. Also, upon checking auto forums online it seems this failure is not uncommon to the Nissan Versa.

- Forked River , NJ, USA

May 112014

Versa 4-cyl

When backing out of the garage this morning I heard a grinding noise, pulled back in. Got out, looked for a flat tire or some object being dragged under the car, didn't see anything unusual and tried to back out again, same grinding noise. Got a flashlight and noticed the coil spring on the front passenger side was resting on the tire. Looking closer, found a large piece of the coil spring broken off and sitting just behind the wheel well on the ground. Car drove fine last night, spring broke off at some point before I left for work this morning.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 112014

Versa 4-cyl

Pulling out of our garage, there was a "pop" noise and later we found on the garage floor a piece of the coil spring from the front passenger side had broken off where it comes into contact with the strut plate that holds it in place at the bottom.

- Middle Grove, NY, USA

May 012014

I had the car in reverse to back out of garage and heard a grinding sound. I stopped to look at the car but didn't see anything obvious. I tried driving again but stopped after a few feet and called my mechanic. His garage is about a half mile away so I tried to drive slowly there but suddenly there was a loud bang and the car felt like it hit the road on the right front side. The tire was flat. The diagnosis is a broken coil spring, which I have since learned is a common defect on the Versa.

- Hooksett, NH, USA

Apr 212014

Versa 4-cyl

On the 21st of April 2014 my wife left work. As she was reversing the car she heard a loud grinding noise and then a boom. The front right tire blew out. She found a large sheered off metal piece underneath the car. We took the car in the next day to a professional service. They found out that the spring was completely destroyed. The cost to fix everything including the tire was $720. The worse part is that they only had oem parts available. This means that they had to put the same defective springs back on our car. After I filed a report with Consumer Affairs Nissan contacted me back saying that they will not honor this defective part. We purchased our car in the summer of 2010. The spring lasted only four years. Had this been on the highway my family could have been seriously injured, especially during this recent winter. This is our only car and we have three children under three years old. No one should buy a Nissan Versa, period, if they care about the safety of their family.

- Mpls, MN, USA

Apr 282014

Versa 4-cyl

While traveling at low speed, under 25 miles per hour, on a smoothly paved road, I heard a loud bang followed by a rattling sound in the left front wheel well. After pulling over I found a part of a coil spring in the road. After looking at the coil spring in the wheel well I noticed that the end was broken and jagged and matched the broken piece of coil that was left on the road. I do not drive off road and have maintained my vehicle well. There was no indication that there was a problem with this coil prior to the break.

- Portage, PA, USA

Apr 242014

Versa 4-cyl

I was driving aprox. 30 mph when I heard a snap in the front.the car pulled to the left and went in the opposite lane of traffic. I got out and found a piece of broken or snapped coil spring under my vehicle.

- Watertown, MA, USA

Apr 192014

Versa 4-cyl

Put car in gear and started to pull away from parking spot. Drove maybe 100 yards and heard a loud bang. I pulled over and looked around. Noticed part of a coil spring laying on the ground. Looking at the car it was obvious it was from mine. Took it to the local Nissan dealer and they looked over car. Said that they have not seen this happen before and it should never happen. After looking over information on my car and seeing I had the extended warranty they told me I needed a new strut and spring as well as an alignment. Nissan would help with the cost of the strut but not the spring or alignment. How is this possible when the failure is caused by a coil spring breaking. A part that should never break. Service advisor said spring broke because of a little rust spot on it. Someone needs to explain to me how cars from the 50's have rusty coil springs that don't snap but a 2009 Versa has a rust spot and it snaps off. This matter needs to be addressed by Nissan. There maybe only a few complaints on here about it but google "09 Nissan Versa coil spring" and you will find tons of complaints of this exact thing happening to the left front coil spring. Seems odd that its always the front left.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Apr 022014

Versa 4-cyl

Althuough I'm not sure exactly when it occurred, I suspect it happened while dodging winter potholes in streets leading into cleveland, Ohio for an event there. Returning home on the freeways, my wife and I noticed the ride was extremely harsh. Later I noted the drivers side was low in the front. Actually there was only an inch between the tire and the wheel cutout. I tried bouncing the front suspension but is was solid. Clunking as I drove out my driveway, I went to my dealer service manager who did a quick look at my parked car. He knew instantly it was a broken coil spring and had a set for both sides readily at hand. The new springs are only warrantied for 1 year or 12,000 miles. Which makes me think they haven't solved thier problem and I don't like the idea of paying for it while being a test driver. I never owned a car in 55 years before that I did not trust. I did buy this car new in July of 2009 but found out later it was manufactured in November 2008.

- Middleburg Heights, OH, USA

Apr 142014

Versa 4-cyl

Both front coil springs on the 2009 Nissan Versa snapped. Thought this was highly unlikely and just bad luck. However after some searching I found that many Nissan Versa owners have had the exact same trouble, and have been told by their dealers that they were unaware of a problem. The car is driven back and forth to work on city streets and not on bad or dirt roads. It has not been subject to any heavy Transport. Both springs broke off at the bottom of the spring, where most other people have described as their break points.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Dec 212013

Versa 4-cyl

I was pulling out of my parking space when I experienced what felt and sounded like running over an empty soda bottle. I even looked back to see what I had run over but saw nothing on the ground. Needless to say I continued on my way but while driving down the highway the front of my car felt like it was bouncing up and down and was hard to steer and control. It was taken to the dealership where it was purchased and I was told that the front left coil spring had broken and this was going to be a major repair. I was shocked that something like this could randomly happen and was informed that this is a typical result of an accident (which was not the case) and was then later told that is can occur from "normal" wear and tear or age of the car. Now this is where I became skeptical because the car is ~4.5 years old, less than 54,000 miles, is very well kept, and although I have a long commute it is primary on the highway. I have done some research on this issues and it appears that I am not the only one that has encountered this issue in the same year, make and model of this car. I have also spoken to a few mechanics who also feel that a 4.5 year old coil spring should not just break so easily as it did. I did ask to keep the part and now have it in my possession. I have contacted the Nissan's corporate branch but found that to be a dead end after several back and forth exchanges over the past few months. After speaking with a few other Nissan owners they were not surprised as not one of them has ever had a pleasant experience dealing with this corporation.

- Chadds Ford , PA, USA

Feb 092014

Versa 4-cyl

Tire blew out on the highway. Had car towed to a body shop where I was informed that a coil spring had broken and caused the tire to blow. Looked online and noticed that this is a known issue with the Nissan Versa. Nissan customer service was unhelpful, getting basic facts of my case wrong and claiming no liability since warranty had expired. This is a known issue with high potential for mortality. I recommend an investigation into a potential recall.

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

May 162012

Versa 4-cyl

The first instance happened on the driver's side of my car as I was backing out of the parking spot at my house, I heard the loud ping of metal snapping. I backed up a little farther and stopped to find a piece of what I would later learn was part of the coil spring on the front driver's side. I took my car the dealership where they told me it could have easily sliced open my tire or brake line had I been going fast. After a lot of back and forth between us they repaired it without charging me. Fast forward to January 12, 2014, 64,500 miles. I don't know exactly when the break occurred this time, but as I was driving home, I would here a clanging sound whenever I turned or hit even the slightest bump in the road. I checked the car the next day and noticed the front end was low. Upon closer inspection, the passenger side spring is now broken. I haven't been able to get a closer look at it yet, but it looks broken in a similar manner to the first one. Everything I've looked up tells me that these springs are normally suppose to last over 100,000 miles, and yet both mine have broken now before hitting 65,000 miles. Once again the spring could have easily sliced the tire or a brake line, and had I been on the highway when that happened it could have easily ended badly. This really needs to be looked into, from all the other related problems I've seen, it sounds like a bad batch of springs.

- Newmarket, NH, USA

Jan 052014

Versa 4-cyl

I was driving at 45 mph and a loud "thump" under my car sounded like something hit the undercarriage. I looked back and could not see anything on the road. The next day, heard a "clang" under the as I decelerated from 20 mph. I stopped and found a piece of my right front coil spring in the roadway. The entire bottom coil of the spring had snapped right through the metal and fallen off the car. This is the second coil spring on my car that has done this. The left spring snapped the same way, about a year ago. The manufacturer must have used bad metal for the springs, and they could keep snapping while I am driving. It was dangerous when the first spring snapped, but if both springs snap on the same car, there is a serious defect.

- Bellport, NY, USA

Dec 242013

Versa 4-cyl

Passenger side spring coil broke nearly 5 months after the driver side spring coil broke. See complaint from 7/31/13. Luckily, coil broke while backing out of drive way, so I did not lose control of vehicle. Broken part of coil is now pinched between coil seat and rest of coil leaving the remaining spring unseated. Car is undriveable in this condition for second time before 5 year loan is even paid off. Case opened with Nissan, but they thus far have refused to pay diagnostic fee to confirm broken spring coil. Broken coil can be clearly seen in tire well. Diagnosis is required for any further action by Nissan regarding repair reimbursement. Bad customer service.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Dec 152013

Coil spring on passenger front side snapped and damaged the tire to bring a complete flat tire while driving.

- Wheeling, IL, USA

Oct 142010

Versa 4-cyl

I have a history of complains with Nissan about the steering. My complaint was about a pinging noise coming from the front end. You could also feel this ping in the steering wheel. Nissan ignored this complaint and explained it was my ABS calibrating. As time went by the noise got worst. Nissan would even charge me $150 each time they look at the car for this noise and could not find anything wrong. Last week Nissan told me there is a problem with the spring moving when the steering wheel turns. The spring tightens and loosens with each turn of the wheel. They have identified the problem and have a fix for it, but they want me to pay for it. To me this sounds like a defect in design and I should not be liable for the charges, however they wont repair it unless I pay for it.

- Medford, NY, USA

Jul 222013

Versa 4-cyl

At 65 miles an hour the front coil spring on the driver's side malfunctioned and broke creating a sharp edge that cut the front driver's side tire. This caused a blow out on the highway. The car on examination after the malfunction had a total of three broken coil strings (two front and one rear), and other damage to the suspension (two struts, and sway bars). Vehicle was traveling on interstate highway at the time. Operator was able to control vehicle and move to shoulder thus avoiding a major accident. Vehicle had to be towed from shoulder. It appears these springs are defective.

- Portageville , NY, USA