2.3

2010 Nissan Versa suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Versa:

2010 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 012013

Versa

Fuel pump shut off the car while driving and left stranded at 18,000 mi., engine blown at 25,000 mi., now fort wayne Nissan wants to jerk me around on a front suspension problem. The car makes a wobble sound when taking off after startup that they say is a ABS safety test. Problem is it never made that sound before, and only after engine replacement. Not only do they say the sound is nothing they say the car doesn't wobble and refuse to replace the defective parts while it was under warranty. Its almost like the brakes are not working too. I paid them 500$ for front brakes and the car still struggles to stop and I assume that is because of the front suspension problems. I am so afraid that the springs are bad just like I see in the forums. My dad owned this car first put the first 6K miles on it. This has been a lemon since the day I got it with 6K miles on it. Something has to be done. I have 7 kids and am terrified that this is being allowed to happen. Please help, this whole coil spring strut assembly problem is out of control, people are getting hurt ! I have already had 4 open back surgeries and cannot go through another.

- New Haven, IN, USA

May 022015

Versa

Spring broke unexpectedly, while driving at a low velocity. It's hard to believe that a spring can break as it did. The vehicle has low miles, and the mechanic couldn't bekieve it himself. Mechanic informed me that he has repaired two other vehicles, same make and year with the same exact issue, and the same exact side. My estimate for the repairs is $1,500. If Nissan is aware of the issue, and has done nothing about it, they should be ashamed of theirselves. This is a safety hazard that can lead to injury or even fatalities. I have been buying Nissan vehicles for almost twenty years, but this has made me lose confidence in the company.

- Ormond Beach , FL, USA

Jul 202015

Versa

Front driver side suspension coil spring broke rubbing 2 inch gouge into tire.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Jul 102015

Versa

My wife was driving the 2010 Nissan Versa hatchback on a secondary road doing less then 30 mph when she suddenly heard a 'bang' sound. She then claimed she heard a similar sound when making left hand turns. When she asked me to inspect the vehicle I was shocked to see that the driver's side front coil spring had broken in two. That was the last thing I expected to see. The 'similar' sound she heard was the sound of broken section of coil spring rattling around the remaining spring/strut assembly. Fortunately because of the nature of the break it was captive and there was no way for it to become suddenly separated from the vehicle while driving. This component on a car should never fail. Had she been driving at highway speed she could have been killed. We paid $350 to have one spring replaced!!! I still have the broken spring. The mechanic saved it for me. I also have close up photographs of the broken spring that I am more then willing to provide to any Agency investigating this matter. Nissan should own up and replace these defective springs before someone is killed.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Jul 102015

Versa

As I was making a left-hand turn on to a road, I heard a loud noise from my passenger side wheel well. I thought it was a rock, as I did not notice anything wrong at first glance when I looked. Later as I drove down the same road, I saw something in the road and stopped to pick it up. It was a piece of a suspension coil/spring. I felt around back of the passenger side suspension coil and felt that it had broken off near the bottom of the coil.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Jun 152015

Versa

Part of metal coil spring fell off and car veered to left while driving. Brought to the shop. They had to replace front shocks. Struts. Coils springs and sway bar.

- Hugo, MN, USA

Jun 252015

Versa

During routine front brake pad and rotor replacement I was informed by my mechanic that one of the front coil springs was physically broken. It appears to have snapped and it was in jeopardy of popping or puncturing my tire. The mechanic was shocked that this would happen with such low mileage on the car (~25,900, 5 years). He called Nissan to ask about the issue and they said it was a common problem. Both front coil springs were replaced. I do recall driving around May 1, 2015 on the highway around 65 mph and hearing a loud clattering noise under my car but thought nothing of it at the time. That could have been when the coil spring snapped....updated 09/22/15

- Cambridge, MA, USA

May 012015

Versa

Passengers front coil spring broke. Approx. 1/2 of first coil on spring broke at lower edge where it mates to front strut. Broken coil was discovered when audible sound could be heard from front suspension when starting and stopping or turning left when coil spring would shift on strut.

- Holly, MI, USA

Jun 112015

Versa

I was driving out of a parking lot at 10 mph and heard a loud pop sound coming from the passengers side front wheel area and smelled burning rubber. I pulled over and noticed a 360 degree gash in the front passenger tire sidewall. I took the tire off and noticed the suspension spring was broken and was scraping the sidewall of the tire.

- Scranton, PA, USA

May 202015

Versa

Left front drivers side of vehicle was making a "crunching sound" while driving on interstate 81. When I got to work, I looked up the problem online, and discovered it was the same issue that 2010 Nissan Versa vehicles are having.(coil springs) took it to a mechanic on 5/20/15, and the mechanic identified the problem as a broken coil spring in the front end. Replaced the broken spring.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

May 292015

Versa

While backing out of a parking space a very loud bang occurred from the front passenger side of the vehicle. Upon inspection I noted the spring had fractured. Repair required a new spring and alignment. Lucky the spring held until I could get to the repair shop and didn't ruin the tire, but total cost to repair was over $250. The left spring had been replaced earlier this year due to a deer hit, otherwise I may have had to have both replaced. Looking for a recall on this, as it appears to be a pervasive issue. My repair shop just had another Nissan Versa in last month with the same issue.

- Townsend, DE, USA

May 252015

Versa

Turning into driveway and the car made a loud popping noise. Passenger side front dropped significantly and began rubbing the tire. Car repairs in excess of $480 and a tire replacement. Also required fog light housing due to severity of the break and subsequent drop of the car onto the top of the tire.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 092015

Versa

I have not yet been involved in a crash as a result of this part, but I have also experienced a creaking noise coming from the front passenger-side springs in my 2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 sl and I am very worried that something similar to what other Versa owners have reported in the current ongoing investigation will happen to me and would like to be notified of any changes in the investigation. I have had my car in the shop many times to fix suspension problems that have cost me a fortune and I want to know the minute a remedy has been made available from Nissan. Again, my suspension has not yet collapsed as a result of this issue, but the creaking sound started in February and has not yet been fixed despite two separate trips to a Nissan dealership's service center.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

May 212015

Versa

I have been reading reports about front coil spring fractures and now I am afraid to drive my car. It was very hard for me to save to buy this car, I am disabled and on a very low fixed income. I was so proud of it and now I don't know what to do. Will you pay to fix it?

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Nov 112014

Versa

While driving my vehicle at a low rate of speed over a low profile speed bump I heard a loud bang and my car profile dropped on the driver's side while the passenger side remained at the normal height. Upon further inspection, it was determined that the coil on my driver's side strut popped out of the holder securing it and barely missed severing my brake line. As a consequence, I needed to replace the entire strut assembly on the driver's side and as a precaution also replaced the passenger side. Moreover, the suspense while repaired within a weeks time, required that I needed to replace tires due to wear patters caused by the suspension issue. Such tires were at half life, but regardless were changed as a precaution since it was winter time in the northeast. My father kept the entire strut assembly of both sides should you be interested in looking at them. I also took photos of the strut assembly prior to the repair.

- Landing , NJ, USA

Mar 012015

Versa

The spring in the driver's side broke as I was backing the car out of the driveway. I heard a loud noise and the front driver side of my 2010 Nissan Versa dropped. When I looked at the wheel well, I could see the broken spring. I had the car towed to the Nissan dealership for service. The passenger side spring was also damaged: Large chunks of the spring had broken off, but the spring had not broken through yet. I only have 25,835 miles on the car. I follow the regular maintenance schedule at the Nissan dealer. I am so thankful that this happened on the driveway and that no one was injured.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Jan 022015

Versa 4-cyl

I noticed that something was wrong with "feel" of right front wheel so took vehicle in for oil change and tire rotation and asked service to check on that wheel issue. He called me in to see that the right front suspension spring had totally cracked and broken off and had been rubbing on the inside of the tire creating a deep groove in the rubber. It was worn through and close to puncturing and could not even be driven to a dealer. This vehicle has under 37000 miles on it and has been totally maintained and not driven on any poor road surfaces. This was a 15 month old tire with about 14000 miles. Totally destroyed in what was a potentially life threatening situation due to a faulty part. Not normal wear and tear for springs. The mechanic said he sees this spring breakage on a lot of Versas and the Nissan dealer acknowledged that Nissan is "aware" of this problem! these vehicles should be recalled and all suspension springs replaced immediately before there is a fatal accident on the highway. I am afraid to drive knowing the left side could crack at any time. I am also concerned that if only Nissan dealers are reporting the repairs that they do, many repairs by independent mechanics are going unreported to Nissan.

- Kittery, ME, USA

Nov 242014

Versa

I am having to replace my front-end springs in 2010 Nissan Versa due to the driver-side spring breaking and the passenger-side becoming very worn and about to break. My struts and other parts of the suspension are fine and I have not had to replace those yet. Since I don't tow anything or put very heavy items in my car, I don't see why I should replace my springs other than that part being defective. Springs usually last the life of the car unless you regularly tow, drive on dirt roads, or put heavy items in the car. I have seen online that a number of Versa owners are having to replace their springs due to wear, which seems suspicious.

- Union, OH, USA

Dec 092010

Versa 4-cyl

When driving I can hear a chirping noise from the engine area; when accelerating sounds like coming from the front right hand possibly the tires; the breaks do not react on command; the shifter material on the automobile delaminated; button on seat belt came off; driver rear door coming apart; engine light is on; experienced problems with water intrusion from outside; engine and engine cooling, exterior lighting, noise from steering column, electrical problems radio not working; vehicle has not started at times; rear hatch would not open; the automobile's gas tank had to be replace; when I received a notice of the recall I went to Nissan of bakersfield and asked about the recall for this automobile and they stated "we have nothing to do with that recall notice". we can not help you and they sent me home. The vehicle jerked while driving, the driver's window was inoperable, the gasket was replaced three times. Also, the battery had to be replaced. Updated 12/01/14.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Oct 222014

Versa

Front broken coil springs. When I took my Nissan Versa 1.8 S hatchback for a regular oil maintenance and tire rotation the mechanic told me both coil springs had snapped and broken and in almost the exact same location on the bottom coil, mileage on my car is on 33,400 miles, and 4 years old. Not sure when the coils were snapped and broken. I spoke to the Nissan dealership and they told me that I might have driven very hard over the pot holes and broke them myself and they are not faulty parts, which sounds very ridiculous to me. This is very unusual for a 4 year old and less mileage car would have a broken coils. I have researched on the internet and saw several people complaining about the same situation, here is the link to the discussion forums. www.nissanversaforums.com/brakes-suspension/2743-broken-coil-springs.html.

- Pine Brook, NJ, USA