2.3

2010 Nissan Versa suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Versa:

2010 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jun 302014

Versa 4-cyl

While driving on a level roadway at a speed of 45mph I noticed a sharp noise come from the front end of the vehicle. Just after hearing this noise I noticed the tire monitor light illuminate. I drove to a safe area and saw that the driver's side front tire was completely flat. I took off the front tire and noticed a large puncture in the inside sidewall of the tire and figured I had run over a large bolt or other item and caught it just right on the sidewall. I put the spare on the car and continued to drive home. I noticed that the front of the car seemed to have squatted somewhat and the car was exhibiting a slight pull. Upon inspection I found that the driver's side coil spring had snapped it two. This broken spring had then punctured my tire. Fortunately it did not immediately cause a blowout of the tire. I see no reason why this spring should have broken. I have since discovered that this very issue appears to happen quite a bit with the Nissan Versa and is documented in many incidents on the internet. I am outside of the warranty range for the vehicle and will have to eat the cost of this repair. I feel that this failure is probably the result of using inferior metal in the manufacture of the spring. I have never owned another car that had an issue like this. This is not a rust problem either. It is apparently metal fatigue/failure. What would happen at highway speeds if the tire had blown" who would accept responsibility when my children are in the car and I am in an accident because of this? there was no warning. How do I continue to drive this car" I am very disappointed with Nissan over this issue. I doubt I would buy another of their product because of this. I feel they should take responsibility for their faulty product. I hope by my sharing my experience I can keep others more informed.

- Whtie Marsh, MD, USA

Jun 012014

Versa 4-cyl

Driving on freeway ramp, car exhibited an audible bang. Immediately following, the car drove okay but had sloppy and unresponsive handling. Upon examination, the coil spring on the front drive side broke in half. Luckily it just missed puncturing the tire.

- Grove City, OH, USA

May 182014

Versa 4-cyl

5/18/14 pulling out of a parking spot (in reverse) heard a horrible noise (grinding/crunching) front left wheel. Brought car directly home, but every pothole hit felt like the car was hitting the road. 5/20/14 brought car to mechanic to check out front end. Was informed that left suspension coil spring broke. I was fortunate that it did not happen on the highway or damage struts or tire. Needed to replace both coil springs at a cost of $544.41. I feel this is a defect in the coil springs.

- Lowell, MA, USA

May 182014

Versa 4-cyl

Heard a loud snapping or cracking noise and then the front passenger side of car dropped down. Had towed to local repair facility and have been told that the spring coil in the strut assembly was broken and needed to be replaced. The car is less than 4 years old and has only 44,000 miles on it. Called dealer and was told that it was out of warranty and did not cover this. I do not believe this part should break like this and have been reading that many people have complained about this on-line but Nissan will not help. If I had been driving on the highway when this happened it could have been very dangerous.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Apr 242014

Versa

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, a grinding noise was heard. The contact merged to the shoulder of the road and noticed it was the driver's side front coil spring that had fallen out. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 28,000.

- St Peters, MO, USA

Apr 152014

Versa

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while turning at 20 mph, the front passenger's tire deflated. The spare was installed and the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was found that the passenger front coil spring failed and punctured the tire. The mechanic also stated that the driver front coil spring also needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jun 092013

Versa 4-cyl

As I was driving my vehicle today I noticed a clicking noise in the right front wheel as I turned left or right. Nothing appears to be loose and I can't pin point the origin of the noise.

- North Kingstown, RI, USA

May 172013

Versa

The coil spring on the front driver side broke. It drove fine the day before and when I came out the next morning and found it broken. No rough roads or unusual driving.

- Sunderland, MA, USA

May 102013

Versa 4-cyl

Since purchase (pre-owned with ~28K miles in 2/12) car made popping noises around both front tires when turning intermittently. Had it looked at by local mechanic; could not find issue. 5.10.13 heard loud popping noise when car was just sitting in driveway. That evening began to pull out of driveway to horrible grinding/screeching noise. Stopped and parked car. Towed car to local mechanic. Broken coil spring was diagnosed. Began researching, this problem is all over the internet with others having the same issues at various years and mileages of the Versa. Nissan regional Consumer Affairs office (kelly X458169) offered to reimburse tow and send a service credit for $125 but not to admit that there was a legitimate problem with this part of the vehicle and would not cover the entire cost or to replace the other one, which the Nissan dealer (that I had to tow to from the other mechanic) suggested. There are a countless people that have endured this defect and there needs to be a recall/service completed to check all coil springs. This is dangerous. If driving at high speeds it could easily shred the tire, cause one to lose control, and hurt/kill passengers or other drivers. Nissan is ignoring this issue, not taking responsibility for faulty parts, and just trying to cover it up by offering credits. I have a 10 yr old Hyundai and a 19 yr old Ford and have never had this happen. It should not be happening on a 3 yr old vehicle with 41K miles. A few (of many) links to complaints: www.nissanversaforums.com/brakes-suspension/2743-broken-coil-springs.html www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Versa/2009/suspension/broken_coil_spring.shtml www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2009/Nissan/Versa/suspension.

- Howard, OH, USA