2012 Nissan Versa drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Versa:

2012 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 222015

Versa

My husband was driving home from work in our 2012 Nissan Versa. He was on the highway traveling through a construction zone at approximately 55 mph when the car suddenly cut out on him. He pumped the gas pedal but the car would not accelerate over 20 mph. He pulled the car off at the closest exit. It was towed to a Nissan dealership where it was evaluated. We were notfied that a total transmission replacement was necessary. I contacted Nissan and was informed that Nissan took no responsibility for the transmission failure because the warranty had expired. However, in the scheduled maintenance provided in the owner's manual the first transmission related maintenance does not occur until 60,000 when they recommend checking the transmission fluid. Nissan claims they have no way of verifying that vehicle maintenance was completed because we did not have the maintenance completed at a Nissan dealership. I offered to provide our records of maintenance from our provider but Nissan was not interested in seeing them. I spoke to three different Nissan assist representatives. Finally, I was informed by the last representative that there was no one else to which I could petition my case. In summary, if you have a Nissan Versa you should expect to replace your entire transmission when the vehicle is three years old. In the past, Nissan has extended warranty coverage on Versa model years 2003-2010 for issues with the transmission. I think a manufacturer's defect still exists in their transmissions. I think this defect was the cause of our total transmission failure. I just hope that no one is killed when their transmission fails them in the middle of rush hour.

- Toronto, OH, USA

Jun 102015

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle speed shifter failed to go into second and third gear. The contact also stated that the vehicle would shake when coming to a stop light and made a loud knocking noise when it was in reverse. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V032000 (power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,108.

- Granada Hill, CA, USA

May 062015

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving down a busy road at 20 mph, the vehicle experienced a loss of power. The vehicle could drive in reverse, but could not function in drive. The vehicle had to be towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission malfunctioned. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Mar 052015

Versa

Purchased new from Nissan dealer. 35 months later, just around 40,000 miles, notice jerky movements forward and backwards at freeway at approx 60mph. Took to dealer service dept and nothing found. Happening more frequently and at lower speeds too. Returned 8 weeks later and was told it was the cvt transmission. Was told replaced by new one. 4 days later car started but would not move forward. Had to have towed and was told the new transmission needed replacing again. Both repairs covered under warranty. Concerned this may happen again and be dangerous on freeway or be right after warranty is over and be costly. Read lots of problems with cvt transmissions. This car is not driven in harsh conditions or stop and go traffic so very concerning.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

Apr 272015

Versa

My car will not move when the gas is pressed, it stutters and vibrates then jerks. The transmission catches then RPM hit 7500 very unsafe. This happens every time I stop and go. Took it to Nissan they said that they could not replicate the problem therefore could not fix it. This is ( bs ) cause it happens all the time. Also when I turn my steering wheel I feel something moving and hear popping noise on the driver side floor board.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 072015

Versa

Transmission had to be replaced for $4,500 for a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

- Prosper, TX, USA

Jan 142015

Versa

When driving for about an hour, if you stop at a traffic control device, once you try to accelerate, the car will not move. Even if you hold the gas pedal to the floor, the car will not go. Once it does "catch", the RPM's hit about 7000 or 8000 and when you let off the pedal the car jerks hard and goes into "limp mode". it did this seventeen (17) times and 6 of them were on the interstate in heavy traffic. I almost got rear ended by a car coming up behind me because I couldn't move the car out of the road in time. I had to shut the car off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on to get it to move and even then it stayed in limp mode so I was stuck in first (1st) gear. This has happened every day until I finally took it into the shop and they said it was the transmission. Coming from an aemt, this is a very dangerous situation and needs to be resolved with Nissan and their cvt transmissions.

- Del Rio, TN, USA

May 152014

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving at approximately 10 mph, the fuel pedal was depressed but the vehicle would not accelerate. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Houtzdale, PA, USA

Jan 212015

Versa 4-cyl

The transmission completely went out of the car. It would slow down, I had to stop, turn it off, wait, turn it back on, drive a little bit, repeat. This is a known issue with this car and the cvt transmission systems, yet no recall has been issued to date. When you buy a new car, the known issues aren't out yet because there hasn't been time enough to gather any statistics. The dealership nor Nissan corporation was willing to assist us. We provided service records and they deemed them 'insufficient' because the service was not performed through Nissan. However, it is not mandated that oil changes and tire rotations be completed at their site. They also stated that the oil put into the car might not be made for a Nissan vehicle. This is the first time in my life I've ever heard of an oil being made for a specific brand of car. The transmission wasn't due to be serviced until between 60,000 and 70,000 miles, and we had just turned 60,000 the week before. Plus, engine oil has nothing to do with a transmission, it has to do with the engine. We are still making payments on the car. If we pay out of pocket for the repairs, and add to what we still owe, now the car costs more than what we bought it for brand new. I've done quite a bit of research and have found many other customers with these same issues. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Dec 082014

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 40 mph and depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle shifted from drive to reverse. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the transmission sensor failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Jan 262015

Versa

2012 Nissan Versa sv 4 door sedan with cvt transmission. Vehicle is jerking when trying to accelerate over 65 mph. RPM gauge will bounce from 3000-4000 while the vehicle is shuddering. This vehicle has had many complaints about the cvt transmission since 2007 and Nissan still has not done anything to resolve the problem. A recall should be issued since this is a very dangerous situation on the highway when the transmission will finally breakdown. I hope that this can be fixed and Nissan will own up to the bad workmanship on the transmission. I will continue to post as the transmission gets worse. Thank you!

- North Attleboro, MA, USA

Dec 302014

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would jerk and hesitated before losing acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the transmission was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was made aware that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 12V032000 (power train). The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same failure listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Markham, IL, USA

Dec 262014

Versa

While driving on the free way RPM began to rev extremely high about 5000, car began to jerk and lost speed while I was pressing on the gas. I had to immediately cross several lanes of heavy traffic to pull to a shoulder. This is continuing to happen and it has happened while driving in the fog where a sudden loss of power could have caused the semi truck behind me to collide with me.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Nov 282014

Versa

I purchased a 2012 Nissan Versa from a private owner for my grandson to drive at college. A week after the purchase, my grandson was driving on I95 at 55 mph and the engine started to slow down. He tried to accelerate, the car continued to slow down while making a horrible sound like it was stuck between gears. He coasted to the nearest exit, pulled onto the shoulder and turned the car off. He restarted the car and was able to make it home. I took the car to a Nissan dealer since it only had 18,000 miles and is under warranty. They were not able to duplicate the issue but did replace a "sensor". two weeks later it happened again and Nissan again replaced a "sensor". the third time, my grandson was driving to the poconos and just made it to the lodge before the car shutdown completely. We had the car towed to the nearest dealer where it sits today. Nissan is directing me to contact the district office. How many complaints do you need to get a recall" does someone need to die before Nissan does the right thing"

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jan 042015

Versa

Concerned with my transmission slipping out of gear...and malfunction of air bags.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Dec 182014

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the engine rpms decreased and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was restarted and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the transmission fluid mixed with the coolant in the transmission. As a result, the transmission and the radiator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 092014

Versa

Cvt failed while driving, stalled in middle of the road, car would not move.floored the car, barely moved, had to pull over, car jerked.

- Lockeford, CA, USA

Sep 172014

Versa

My transmission started to make clunk noises as I would decelerate and the car would jolt while doing that. I took the car too a Nissan dealer and they confirmed there was an issue with my transmission. They also said my transmission fluid was completely black. After a few hours, Nissan finally approved a new transmission after they refused to the first time.

- Washington, NJ, USA

Mar 132014

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the crank shaft seals needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 41,457.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 092014

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, the contact slightly touched the gear shifter mechanism and the lever moved into the neutral without the brake pedal being depressed. The failure recurred twice. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 12V032000 (power train). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA