2012 Nissan Versa seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Versa:

2012 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 022013

Versa 4-cyl

Nissan Versa 2012. This is my second cvt transmission replacement. I received the first transmission replacement in December 2013 and it has broken again in May 2014. The vehicle got stuck in gear and would not shift. It accelerated and decelerated without my foot on the gas pedal. The vehicle made front end noises and pops like it was going to fall apart. It's very unsafe to drive. The airbag and check engine lights came on. I took my car to the dealer and got the run around. Don' T know what caused the problems and need more time to run test. The second transmission is under warranty and the dealer gave me every excuse to not fix my car. I was told, by the dealer, after seven days of waiting on repairs, that they (dealer) were waiting for a response from Nissan headquarters to run test. Fix my vehicle and run all the test you want but not at my sacrifice. The dealer said that they could not help me with a rental until Nissan gave the dealer an answer as far as what test to run and if to repair the vehicle, which is under warranty. The dealer just said, sorry but we can't do anything. It wasn't until nine days later that the dealer gave me a rental car, only, after my dad lit the fire. I was inconvenienced getting off work, very late hours, with no transportation. I informed the dealer about my late night dangerous experiences. It should not take, let's see, I'm on day twelve as of this complaint to fix a warranty problem. These cvt transmissions have been a long, ongoing problem with Nissan. This is a nightmare for all Nissan owners and Nissan should be held accountable for knowing about these issues and ignoring their issues. Nissan puts the blame on the car owners so that they can pay. This is wrong. Very disappointed in a reputable company. No longer reputable for me.

- Unknown, CA, USA

Mar 012012

Versa 4-cyl

Reference: NHTSA campaign number: 14V138000 my vehicle has the exact same problem as NHTSA campaign number: 14V138000, but it is not included in the recall. It deactivates the passenger airbag when there is an adult sitting there. I took the car to the dealer several times. They calibrated the seat and the problem remained. They asked me to take my wife there, which I did. My wife sat in the front passenger seat and the airbag was deactivated (front passenger airbag off light came on). Then they asked her to sit in another brand new Nissan Versa 2012 and the passenger airbag was deactivated too. The dealer said the vehicle was within specification and there was nothing they could do and suggested that I call Nissan. I then called the Nissan consumer hotline and they said the threshold for the system to deactivate the airbag is 90-100 pounds. This is the wrong weight because there are small adults, such as my wife, who weigh less than the threshold and that causes the passenger airbag to turn off. The Nissan consumer hotline said there was nothing they could do either. This was about two years ago. For reference, Honda civic has a threshold of 65 pounds which is more reasonable and would correctly classify an occupant as a child or an adult. When I saw the news in March 2014 that Nissan is recalling about one million vehicles for this same problem I called Nissan and they told me my vehicle is not included in the recall campaign. I need your help to get Nissan to live up to their responsibility and correct this design flaw which is a very serious safety issue with the 2012 Nissan Versa. Nissan is aware of this and refuses to do anything about it. I do not want to wait until there is an accident and my wife gets hurt or worse because the airbag was disabled. Please help me.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jan 012014

Versa

Whenever I'm driving alone, the light that tell me the passenger air bag is on or off, goes on and off by itself. Yesterday I saw an article on cnn, that Nissan is recalling some vehicles because the air bag sensor in the passenger side is malfunctioning, and may prevent the air bag to not go off even if there is a passenger sitting there. The light does this only when the passenger seat is empty. If there is a passenger the light goes off and stays off. I did not see my 2012 Versa included in the article. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 142013

Versa 4-cyl

Vehicle has been in 2 collisions over 2 year span. Once T-boned by another car, second time front end collision. First time passenger side door received severe damage, second time major front end damage. Never or neither time did any airbags deploy. Vehicle was doing 35 mph at least each time. Have children and family whom are in vehicle often. Worried about all our safety. Thank you very much, with regards.

- Garden City Park, NY, USA

Mar 032014

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact was traveling approximately 20 mph and crashed into a wall. The air bags failed to deploy however, there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000. The VIN was not available.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 272013

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph the air bag light illuminated and remained on. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic diagnosed that the sensor module unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Dinwiddie, VA, USA

Sep 132012

Versa 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the side air bag sensors needed to be replaced. On another occasion, the vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic control unit (ECU) needed to be replaced. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was taken to a dealer for a diagnostic on five occasions for the same failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired on four occasions but the failure was not rectified. The approximate failure mileage was 19,901 and the current mileage was 55,000....updated 01-10-14

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Jan 082013

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled causing the power steering and brakes to deactivate. The vehicle crashed into a pole. Upon impact, the air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained neck and chest injuries. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer prior to the crash to diagnose the stalling but the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 8,000.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Versa

I was driving in the right hand lane on windsor ave. I was driving South and a truck was in the left lane. The truck came over on my lane. I tried moving over a little to stay away from the truck, when I did I jumped the curb and hit a caution sign which made the car go up in the air. And when it came down my foot hit the gas pedal. As going up in the air I hit my head, thank god I had my seat belt on. While trying to control my car I went through a residential fence, and then hit a house and broke their oil fill tube which caused the oil tank to leak. I also cracked the foundation of the house. When my car hit the house I was in such shock I had blood on my head, and had neck pain. The next few days I was in so much pain not only because of the accident but because of the accident my medication pump hose was kinked, and it caused the pump to shut down.which I had to have surgery on so they could replace the pump with a new one. I also have to have surgery on my neck. This could have been prevented if the air bags had been deployed. There never was a warning light on the dash board because I have been told that there has been problems with these air bags. I appreciate your time and hope to hear form you soon.

Versa 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph, the contact attempted to avoid crashing into another vehicle when he jumped the curb to and crashed into a nearby caution sign. The vehicle continued to travel and eventually crashed into a residential home. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a savage facility. The contact sustained severe injuries to the neck and head. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 9,201.... updated 12/14/14 updated 12/18/2012

Oct 282012

Versa 4-cyl

My complaint is that the side impact airbags did not deploy at all nor did the driver's seat belt engage. The incident occurred on my usual way to work. While driving the car through a T intersection and making a left turn, my car was struck by a second car that ran the red light. I was traveling about 20 to 25 mph. I was able to slam on the brake but not much else. The second car impacted the left side front wheel well area which resulted in injuries to myself and front passenger. As stated in the police report, it happened around 3:00 pm with clear weather and a dry road surface. The car was bought near the end of may of 2012.

- Miami Springs, FL, USA

Versa 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph he attempted to avoid a vehicle who had crossed the double lines on the road. The front passenger tire went off the road causing the contact to lose control of the vehicle and as a result, he crashed into a sign causing the vehicle to go airborne. The contacts head hit the roof of the vehicle scraping the skin off the top of his head. The vehicle then crashed into a large dirt pile and a vinyl fence. The vehicle was destroyed. None of the air bags deployed. The dealer was offered the opportunity to inspect the vehicle but did not do so. The manufacturer was notified and mailed the contact a brochure on air bags but offered no other assistance. The failure and current mileage was 10,261..updated 12/05/12 the consumer stated the vehicle hit the foundation of a house. The consumer's body slammed against the steering wheel. The consumer's catheter was damaged during the accident. The vehicle cracked the house's foundation, damaged the oil pipe and oil tank. Updated 12/05/2012

Jun 132012

Versa 4-cyl

While traveling at highway speeds I struck a deer in the front of the car causing major damage to the front of car no air bag deployment. Damage was hood, fenders, grill, bumper and radiator, ac, condenser and slight frame damage.

- Clinton Cornrers , NY, USA

Jun 122012

Versa 4-cyl

I was given this car as a rental. I am an extremely safe driver with a perfect driving record. Within 7-8 minutes of driving this vehicle there was a crash! I drove in on the same busy street that the rental car was located and from the stop light the car switched into gear automatically and the brakes would not work. This cause caused me to hit a car from behind and since the brakes weren't working I hydroplaned into the back of another vehicle. Only one airbag was deployed, the one in the horn..not all six. I suffered a severe concussion and had to be hospitalized overnight. Luckily, the people in the other vehicles were fine. I am now under the care of a neurologist who is doing tests to help determine why I get frequent migraines and my short term memory is very limited as well as my balance. The Nissan Versa 2012 is not a safe car!

- Royal Oak, MI, USA