2012 Nissan Versa steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Versa:

2012 Nissan Versa Owner Comments

May 222016

Something making noise in the steering wheel inside when making turns... and pass airbag sometimes off sometimes on when driving... and the last one the brake pedal is not smooth as other cars and also you can hear a crack on it when pressing on it.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Nov 212015

The contact owned a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving 35 mph, the contact was distracted and swerved to gain control of the vehicle. The brake pedal was applied but failed to stop the vehicle. The contact crashed into a telephone pole. The air bags deployed and the brakes and steering wheel locked up. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the chest and left arm, which required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jan 152016

I pulled up to a pump at a gas station, got out and went in the store to get a drink. Came back out and my car had locked up. The steering and brakes were both locked. Thank god I wasn't in motion when this happened. The car would not accelerate. I cut the car off and let it sit there before trying to start it again. It cranks but never turns over. There is a battery light, brake light, ps light and oil light on the dash. I researched it and everything indicated a bad alternator. I bought a Nissan alternator and put it on. Still never turned over. The fuel pump runs and I put some starting fluid into the throttle body and it started but died after a five seconds. Every Nissan dealership tells me they don't know what the problem is. Its my only car, I'm flat broke and I am walking 2 hours to work every day so I don't lose my job. I need to know what's wrong.

- Selma, NC, USA

Nov 302015

Salesman/dealer did not disclose vehicle maintenance report when requested. Was told that the vehicle was not involved in any accidents. 1) vehicle rolls back after it is put in park. May have been associated with previous recall. 2) when putting car in gear, can feel tugging in the floor board of driver side. Called and was told that there were 4 recalls on the vehicle in which 2 had already been performed. Called Nissan dealer and scheduled an appointment for service for 12/31 to rectify those issues.

- Apalachicola, FL, USA

Apr 272015

My car will not move when the gas is pressed, it stutters and vibrates then jerks. The transmission catches then RPM hit 7500 very unsafe. This happens every time I stop and go. Took it to Nissan they said that they could not replicate the problem therefore could not fix it. This is ( bs ) cause it happens all the time. Also when I turn my steering wheel I feel something moving and hear popping noise on the driver side floor board.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 042014

Versa 4-cyl

This vehicle had an electrical problem. The entire electrical system would randomly shut down, killing all gauges, lighting, power steering and etc. Multiple visits to the dealership brought "unable to duplicate" responses and no attempt to repair. Nissan dealership recommended to drive the vehicle until the stated problem could be displayed at the dealership (note that a car cannot drive without a working electrical system). When vehicles electrical system shut down the final time a fire was ignited under the hood. The car was soon engulfed in flames. It is a total loss. Video of burning car can be seen here:

- Kansas City, MO, USA

May 292014

I was getting ready to back my Versa into a parking space. I had my foot on the brake when I shifted the car into reverse the car engine revved up, brakes failed, and the car flew backwards into a wall causing considerable damage to the back end of the car. This could have been deadly if I was backing out of the parking space and not into it. Once I hit the wall the brakes came back on. Since the dealer was unable to replicate the incident they said it never happened. They also told me that it was impossible for the brakes to fail as they are a cable system. I also contacted Nissan motor Corp directly and was told this was not a warranty issue and I would have to go through my insurance and pay the deductible. I had mentioned to the Nissan dealer previously that I thought the brakes were funny prior to this incident as they would routinely go to the floor if I was traveling at slow speeds. I was told this was normal operation.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

May 082013

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the vehicle always veered to the left and the steering wheel had to be held tightly to prevent a crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice for a front end alignment; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Socorro, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Vehicle started lurching while driving, power shut off on its own and then going back up to speed at 45mph. When slowed down to park, the power steering light came on and the power steering immediately cut off.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 142013

Versa 4-cyl

Vehicle has been in 2 collisions over 2 year span. Once T-boned by another car, second time front end collision. First time passenger side door received severe damage, second time major front end damage. Never or neither time did any airbags deploy. Vehicle was doing 35 mph at least each time. Have children and family whom are in vehicle often. Worried about all our safety. Thank you very much, with regards.

- Garden City Park, NY, USA

Mar 012013

When driving down the highway, my Versa went into neutral but the shift still said D for drive, had no acceleration took to dealer and they passed it off as nothing because nothing read on the computer system and they basically said in a round about way I'm a woman are you sure you didn't bump it into neutral? then a month later had it back as it did the same thing but this time I was going 25 mph. Hooked it up to the computer again and there was nothing reading and reset the computer system. Happened again but was in our parking lot and just blew it off as the dealer would just tell me nothing was wrong. Just yesterday (6/29) as I was turning into the park I work at it slipped back into neutral, then all the electrical went out, no power steering, but the engine was still going, electrical came back on and then the car died as I was going about 20 mph and it quit all together on me shut down. Had to push it to a parking stall and call a tow to the dealer, once at the dealer they hooked it up to the computer and 3 errors for fuel system and 1 error for transmission came up. I'm just thankful that it didn't cause an accident when this has happened. I have it documented that it has been at the dealer now 3 times for this same issue.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Apr 022013

The car is swaying from left to right. Especially on the highway. There seems to be alot of play in the steering wheel. And the handling appears to be very loose. This is very danger and could cause alot of accidents.

- Boston , MA, USA

Jan 162012

In a parking lot going 3 or 4 mph I bumped into a curb. It was a slush condition, I got out and looked at some scrapes on my hubcap. I drove around for a min., it did not pull in any direction. I went on with my day. After 3 hours of driving my rack N pinion steering part snapped while I was driving. I had no steering ! I had it fixed at a local asc cert. Shop for fear of Nissan taking the part and charging me twice as much, while saying it was my fault. I had a former Honda engineer look at the steel and in his opinion the part should have failed in two other locations before snapping. No bent ty rod or anything else. The steel looks like a bad batch in that it did not shear it let go out of weakness. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs to no avail. I filled their suvey stating what happend and still nothing...

- Columbia , MD, USA

Sep 122012

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle began to veer from left to right and became hesitant. The contact mentioned that none of the warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem and stated that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150 and the current mileage was 7,000. The VIN was not available.

- Merrillville, IN, USA

Jun 302012

Versa 4-cyl

I dismissed the pull I felt while driving my new Nissan Versa since Feb. 2012 as being new to driving on mountainous roads.... but after having a major scare this weekend where my steering went completely out I am not sure if it is not all connected. When driving I can not let my hands off the wheel at all with out it significantly moving towards the next lane/curb. Then this weekend when sitting in traffic (yes it was very hot outside) with ac on I traveled a few feet beyond the traffic light and went to make a right turn when my steering became so hard that it took all my strength to keep the car from colliding with signs/off road. It was like I lost power steering... I got it to an empty parking lot near by and turned the car off for about 1 min. The check engine light was on and oil light. I restarted the car and steering had returned. Called the dealer and they took me in right away and "looked at it" and said there were "no trouble codes stored" and "electric power steering motor may have got hot enough for the control module to shut it off to prevent damage". does this mean I can't steer my car if it gets hot outside"?????" I am a mother and don't feel safe traveling in this car!!!!! I do not feel that the dealership was concerned with what had happened.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Oct 312011

Versa 4-cyl

The car seems to have very loose steering or is really out of alignment. Feels like I am being buffeted by a strong wind. The steering wheel doesn't move, but the car pulls left and right. Especially at higher speeds, it is a struggle to keep in the lane. Different road surfaces add to the movement. I have taken it back to the dealership and have been told there is no problem.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA