Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Nissan Xterra doesn't seem to have any problem trends. The only thing prospective owners should be aware of are the less-than-perfect (but acceptable) crash test ratings.

There are a very few transmission complaints, but nothing like the huge defect that shows up starting in with the 2005 model year.

2004 Nissan Xterra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Xterra:

2004 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Jan 132015

I have had to replace my starter 3 times in 4 years. I have all of the receipts to show also. I have also had to replace my radiator because of a crack near the cap. I had a hose that goes through my dash with the hot water explode on me and burn my hand pretty bad. My radiator seems to evaporate cooling fluid on a regular basis. I have had a pressure test it is holding pressure. And now my warning bell is no longer working. My battery has gone dead 5 times because no warning sound to tell me I left my lights on.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 142011

I have replaced my starter 3 times. My brake lights have a short or faulty wiring I'm sure because we have replaced the bulbs several times. I have gotten tickets because of this as a result I have a expired brake tag I cant get a new one because the wiring will cost to much. My uv joint broke while I was driving on the high way. That part they tell me is not a common breaking part. Nissan charges over a thousand dollars to repair that. I'm told my wiring is bad after I replace my starter 2 months ago. They sent me a recall for my column steering and I had it repaired but it still is a slight hassle to change gears. I have received a letter telling me they are buying 2004 Nissan Xterra's but when I called the sales man says it's nothing wrong with the Xterra's that's just a sales stunt. I think its a bunch of bull Nissan knows they didn't do a good job with these 2004"S.

- New Orleans, LA, USA