Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Nissan Xterra doesn't seem to have any problem trends. The only thing prospective owners should be aware of are the less-than-perfect (but acceptable) crash test ratings.

There are a very few transmission complaints, but nothing like the huge defect that shows up starting in with the 2005 model year.

1. rebuild transmission (1 reports)
  2. replace transmission (1 reports)
2004 Nissan Xterra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Xterra:

2004 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Nov 012014

Xterra 3.3L

Recently purchased this beautiful 2004 Nissan Xterra with 118k miles. Shortly after the purchase the transmission was vibrating in between shifting. Turns out the transmission shop (Watson Transmission) told me that these Nissans have defective radiators that leak water/coolant in to the transmissions and ultimately destroy them. Repair cost for a rebuilt tranny-$3000.00. Will NEVER even consider another Nissan product!

- , Hahira, GA, USA

Oct 282011

Xterra LX V6

There is a known problem where the radiator leaks fluid into the transmission. This obviously renders the tranny inoperable. Nissan fixed the tranny (after I paid for it) but omitted to mention that the cause of the problem was the radiator. After months of research we found many posts stating the same. When we contacted Nissan they said "no that was not a contributing factor to the failure of your transmission". well low and behold 10 mos after a band new tranny went in it experienced the exact same failure. This time they said "oh well,,, could be because of the radiator". I as so upset I called the service manager, they gave me a free rental,don't know what they are going to charge me for but for the fist time in my life I'm going to go the legal route if they don't make this right. I'm happy to help anyone else in the same boat. I'm tired of being taken advantage of.

- , El Paso, TX, USA