Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2005 Nissan Xterra accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Xterra:

2005 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

May 142010

Xterra 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Xterra had just under 100,000 miles on it. The transmission began to slip and there would be no power. I had it towed to Nissan and the radiator had leaked coolant into the transmission, destroying the transmission for about a 5,000 $ repair. Nissan offered no explanation other than "it happens", and after further research, found that I'm not the only case of this happening. Luckily for me, I was on a secluded state road when my transmission first slipped. Had I been on a freeway, I would have lost all power in a busy and unsafe location.

- Running Springs, Ca, CA, USA