Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2005 Nissan Xterra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Xterra:

2005 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 17 of 17)

Apr 252010

I have a 2005 Nissan Xterra 4-wheel drive. While driving it in snow, ice, wet roads or simply stopping quickly, I hear a horrible grinding noise from the front end. It happens when I apply the brakes coming to a stop. It has to be a condition where the wheels may lock up. Also, the brakes let the vehicle "loose" for several feet and/or seconds before the grinding begins. I am used to the fluctuation of the brake pedal with an ABS system. However, I had never heard a sound that reminded me of grinding aluminum cans in a coffee mill. I took it to the service dept when this first happened (December 2005; last incident, April 2010) and they have assured me that this is how the ABS is supposed to sound, feel and work. My husband noticed the same feeling/sensation and asked what was wrong with the brakes. I told him Nissan says that is how they're supposed to work. It doesn't sound acceptable that an automobile company would produce a safety system that sounds/feels like your differential is being ground into little metal pieces.

- Dayton, NV, USA

Nov 222009

I have a 2005 Nissan X-terra and the rear differential has burned up. This issue has actually been going on for about a year. I had to take the car in because I was having a transmission issue and the Nissan dealership did not think it was the transmission. The service manager rode in the back and thought it to be the wheel bearings. They switched that out but it did not fix the issue. Long story short at that particular time it ended up being an issue with the transmission which was replaced but ever since I got the vehicle back in 1/09 is had the whistling noise when going down the highway at higher speeds and when you let off the gas it whistles. Bottom line is there was an issue in January 2009 with the rear differential and it was blown off by the dealership and now it has blown and Nissan will not stand behind it. I will never buy another Nissan. Mine has had 2 transmissions replaced and now this all within a year. Rear-ends should not go out this easily.

- Charlotte, NC, USA