CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

6.5

$1,400.00

1. replace timing chain and tensioners (3 reports)
2005 Nissan Xterra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Xterra:

2005 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Mar 152013

Xterra S V6

Nissan Consumer Affairs is a joke. They keep sending me emails saying my problem with them is resolved. That is patently false - this is not resolved by any means.

I have a Nissan service bulletin dated 2009 which shows that Nissan was aware of the timing chain problem with 2005-2007 Xterras. My service department elected not to make me aware of this, waiting instead for the warranty to expire and the whining noise to get loud.

I'm taking them to small claims court to recover the $1,049 repair bill, interest on my credit card, and any other expenses related to my claim. They shouldn't have ignored me when I offered to split the repair cost down the middle.

- , Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Sep 122011

Xterra SE

On top of all things going wrong with my 05 Xterra, I was recommended to replace the timing chain on it, which by the way is no longer covered under the factory warranty.

- , Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA

Mar 152011

Xterra SE 3.2L

Theres a tapping noise coming from the engine. I think that I need a new engine. This car has turned out to be a lemon . It was not but two years old when I bought it.

- , Memphis, Tennessee, USA

Oct 292009

Xterra 4.0L

At 68,000 miles my Nissan Xterra had a whining noise at about 2,000 RPM it would go away at idle but would be real noticeable as you picked up engine speed so I went to the nissan dealer and a service tech said it was a timing chain they said it would be 1750.00 to do the repair. I had bought the car because it had a timing chain and not a belt for lower maintainance costs overall so I had to go through Nissan to get the parts at cost and do the repair myself It's not a quick fix the problem is that the upper chain tensioners between the two cams the rubbing blocks wear through and the harden pin in the center contacts the chain and produces the noise the new ones are made from a better material I hope it lasts longer but Nissan acts like it is no big deal but in this recession 1750.00 is a big deal to an average family. No big deal for Nissan but it is a big deal when deciding not to buy another Nissan.

- , Riverside, California, USA