Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2007 Nissan Xterra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Mar 182016

Eight hours from home, the truck would not start and had to be towed. Initial local garage could not diagnose the problem. Chris myers Nissan in daphne, al, was the closest dealer. They were called and diagnosed the problem over the phone. It is a known defect in these vehicles that allows the radiator to fail and leak radiator fluid into the transmission, destroying it and the module. This cost $5,225 to repair in addition to the tow and driving back another 8 hours to retrieve the vehicle. Nissan na was completely unhelpful. Despite this known defect, they refused to assist with any cost. They previously agreed to a court order to repair these issues but only under 80,000 miles. This is a known issue with these vehicles that is certain to occur in all of them. This definitely should be a recall and they are shirking their duty with this defective system. Their should be no mileage limit as they know this will eventually occur with these vehicles.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 262016

I was driving and the RPM excelerated without warning, the car shuttered, I had no power. Prior to this happening on March 26, 2016, we did not have any warning of a problem. The check engine light came on at which time I had already pulled over. I had the SUV towed to a repair shop. The repair shop advised me that the internal radiator dumped water into the transmission causing the transmission to burn up. It is not repairable. Upon further investigation, we found that there is a pending case regarding this defect (DP12004) on most Nissan affecting models made in 2004-2012. This states that the investigation is pending and a recalll has been requested but Nissan has not issued one as yet. Thank goodness I was not trying to pass or turn at the time it occurred. I was driving on a rural road and was able to safely pull over. There was no warning at all. Nissan should take responsibility for what is a defect in their vehicles. We bought the car used and will try to work with the finance company on who is responsible for this defect.

- Keystone Heights, FL, USA

Mar 052016

Transmission failure: While driving car began to sputter like engine or drive shaft was stuck, speed and power decreased rapidly in traffic nearly causing me to crash vehicle looking for a way to get out of driving lane. I pulled in a parking lot turned vehicle off, to inspect tires, engine and transmission fluid. Checking fluids noticed transmission fluid thick like a milk shake, checked coolant, it too was the same. All this out of no where. I googled problem and found many with same issue and that car wouldnt start also due to wet electrical parts in transmission that pops a breaker not allowing restart. I check 10 amp fuse, it was broken. Got car towed to near family home, began researching and find out that Nissan was aware of trans cooler problem that will cause transmission failure. Also, that this issue most likely happens after 100,000 miles, which I also found out Nissan only covered this under an extended warranty with co-pay to that amount, which I never was notified of this issue. My car was financed with a major us bank, same emails since purchase. I went to dealer, called nissn North America and was quickly dimissed with my vehicle has to many miles and campaign is over and wont speak futher due to some lawsuit. Really"? I live in Illinois where its cold, what happens when you break down in the middle of no where? this should not happen to a car like this, me being the only owner and just had Nissan inspect my vehicle due to engine light being on previously. This is a dangerous thing. Thousands of people been affected. Dealer quoted me $4900 for repairs and stated this was a common issue. They should be responsible and pay for total repairs regardless of miles. What happens while traveling at highway speed and thebtransmission stops" I'm a commercial driver, seen many accudents. This could have been fatal. Recall this please, their liable.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jan 162016

Transmission began failing at highway speeds. Car would intermittently slow suddenly and begin shaking as if riding on a very rough road. Nissan dealer informed us this was a known defect wherein the radiator fluid and the automatic transmission fluid became cross contaminated, resulting in transmission failure. Although Nissan knew of this issue, they did not inform us to have our car inspected for this problem. Nissan currently covers this problem up to 8 years and 80,000 miles, but we are just outside this limit.

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA

Jan 152016

My transmission is now useless because there was a radiator leak? this isn't very safe as it could have messed up my driving!!!!

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Mar 112016

I bought a 2007 Nissan Xterra. 2 days later my check engine light came on Nissan told me I would need a new transmission it would cost me 4900 to replace. They clear the light off.they failed to tell me about the 2 recalls or the fact they were under investigation. When I called to file a complaint the lady said I would be contacted the following Monday. It never happened. I called Nissan they told me either to pay the 4900 or do without and I was hung up on. The following day I lost all gears in my car was almost hit by a semi with my 3 young kids in the check engine light never came back on.I called Nissan the told me there was nothing they could do.when I brought up about the investigation they hung up on me when I called the complaint line back they told me they would look into it and I would hear back.still nothing. Nissan should be ashamed and sued and be put out of business for knowingly endangering lives and not caring

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Mar 032016

This complaint is in reference to a 2007 Nissan Xterra off road 4X4 with180,900 miles. The transmission began to spontaneously downshift to low gears while moving at speeds above 25 mile per hour. At one point, the transmission seized and locked up while traveling at 45 miles per hour, which resulted in a sudden stop in the midst of the traffic flow on a two lane road. I took the vehicle to the Nissan dealer for service immediately. Inspection revealed coolant had leaked into the transmission via a leaking transmission cooler assembly integrated into the main engine radiator. The transmission sustained substantial internal damage from the coolant mixing with transmission fluid and circulating through the transmission. The transmission and engine radiator had to be replaced in order to make the vehicle roadworthy again. Total cost of the repair with taxes was $4800. Nissan service manager and techs at dealership indicated this is a common problem for the Xterra and frontier model vehicles, yet no proactive action was taken during previous service appointments at 30,000 mile service intervals, routine maintenance appointments, and during yearly state vehicle inspections conducted at the same Nissan dealership.

- Purcellville, VA, USA

Feb 142016

While traveling at highway speeds, my Xterra had sudden jerking felt throughout the vehicle. The mechanics have diagnosed the problem as a failed transmission cooler which has allowed coolant to mix with my transmission fluid, causing internal damage to its internal components. Prior to this failure, I have had no other issues what-so-ever with the operation of my vehicle. This damage to my transmission has cost in the thousands of dollars to repair, and all due to a faulty radiator that was installed by Nissan

- Cumming, GA, USA

Nov 142015

I was driving on the interstate at 60mph when I attempted to speed up and switch lanes the truck suddenly lost power and shut off. I was almost rear ended three times lucky there was no one in the other lane so they went around I had no power steering or power brakes while trying to pay attention and not get hit I had to put the truck in neutral and try to start it back up the truck started and seemed to idle fine I put it back in drive and limped it to the side of the interstate whiteout getting hit luckily and called a tow truck and had it towed to a shop I had my wife and two small children in the truck thank god nothing happened. The shop told me that the transmission and radaitor fluid mixed causing my transmission to fail they told me that my radiator is crack and coolant mixed with the transmission fluid I didn't fix it yet I don't have the money I just paid it off and I'm trying to buy a house and now looking on line there are hundreds of cases of this and a lawsuit that was one but my truck has 150,000 miles on it all interstate mainly but I'm way out of the miles for warranty, so why isn't this a recall ? if this has happened so many times it is a safety issue I was was almost hit three times and I had to limp my truck to the side of the interstate were I could have been hit sitting still. I'm very upset over this Nissan wants 5K to fix it so I guess I will start saving my money hopefully this will be a recall soon.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Dec 182015

Car transmission is slipping and stop moving. Transmission oil leak. Radiator water leak.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Nov 242015

While driving, without warning the vehicle cut off, losing all power including braking power, nearly causing an accident. After multiple shops inspected the vehicle it was discovered that coolant had entered the transmission through a well known failure. This failure causing coolant to enter the transmission destroyed the transmission. This failure is also documented through a class actions lawsuit as well as hundreds of similar claims found online.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Nov 292015

The transmission stopped working while driving on the highway. I have read other complaints on this issue, so disappointed this has not been a recall. I just missed getting hit from behind due to the sudden stop.

- Albany, NY, USA

Apr 182015

Exiting parking lot, vehicle experienced sudden, "accute" out of control - acceleration. Immediately depressed brake pedal, yet Xterra continued forward some 40 - 50 feet unimpeded, in a severe bucking fashion. Fortunately no person, nor object was in my path. Contacted Nissan North America, was directed to take SUV to local dealer (vallejo Nissan) for inspection. Computer analysis displayed no mechanical issues. There are without a doubt, critical flaws, just waiting to be unleashed on an unsuspecting public. Nissan has staunchly refused any further evaluation.your assistance would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Sep 302015

Radiator coolant leaked into transmission and now I need a new transmission and do not have the money for this repair. There needs to be a class action lawsuit as this is happening to Nissan owners after the warranty has expired and Nissan knows about this. I was driving down the main street and vehicle service light came on and then I could only go about 10-15 mph because of the transmission

- Vidor, TX, USA

Nov 102015

5 months ago the transmission fluid leaked into the radiator causing antifreeze and transmission fluid to mix now the transmission has gone out because of this caused be to be stuck on the road I now need a new transmission.

- Centre, AL, USA

Aug 012015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Xterra. The contact stated that while attempting to shift, the vehicle started to shake violently. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the radiator was leaking coolant into the transmission. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 146,000.

- Falmouth, ME, USA

Sep 032015

Left my house garage and suddenly I notices that the car was loosing the power, so I went back to the house after few miles driving. And next morning, I was going to take my car to the mechanic, the engine didn't start. So I called aaa to tow my car to the mechanic. According to the mechanic, car wouldn't be function due to the transmissmission and computer failure. My car is still in the shop, so I dont know the exact odometer.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 292015

Transmission slipped and couldn't accelerate, my 16 year old daughter was driving, about ran over by trailer. Researched and found out this is a known problem that Nissan isn't taking care of.

- Hoschton, GA, USA

Apr 032013

The engine coolant leaked into the radiator and the transmission and radiator are ruined. I am a single mom raising 2 kids trying to save money to get it fixed. I have seen several complaints on this exact problem.

- Newark, OH, USA

Feb 182015

Transmission over heats due to radiator hose corrosion.

- Highlands, TX, USA