CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2007 Nissan Xterra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 9 of 9)

Sep 032012

Xterra 6-cyl

Vehicle became erratic on I-405 near kirkland wa. Transmission behaved erratically suddenly and tenaciously, requiring an emergency pull off the freeway from middle lane.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Jun 302011

Xterra

Shuddering noise. Then transmission failure.

- Yanceyville, NC, USA

Jun 142012

Xterra 6-cyl

I was driving down the street at approximately 45 mph. The vehicle began to vibrate horribly. The electrical component that informed me whether I have the vehicle on drive turned off. The check engine light came on. The car began to decelerate. I was having problems getting the vehicle to accelerate. Eventually the vehicle turned off. I took the vehicle to the mechanic who informed me that coolant has entered the transmission and ruined it. Now the vehicle will not start because the coolant shorted the vehicle.

- Homestead, FL, USA

May 042012

Xterra 6-cyl

Nissan has a confirmed problem where coolant from a faulty radiator component leaks into the transmission and causes slipping or won't shift to overdrive. They have extended the warranty out on the radiator to 80,000, but are hesitant to commit on the permanently damaged transmissions. A flush won't solve the problem. I was merging in city traffic and had a upshift failure where it just vibrated almost causing a accident. The initial condition is dangerous, and Nissan unwillingness to commit to replace the terminal transmissions even inside the 80,000 extension seems like throwing a risky and expensive situation on the customer. Very disappointed in Nissan sheepishness, expected more on a well publicized and documented concern. I feel this is a dangerous situation.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Apr 182012

Xterra 6-cyl

Started smelling a burning smell. Noticed a fluid leaking under the car. Dealership said transmission needed to be replaced but didn't give any further details. Topped off transmission fluid since it was low. 30 miles later, while doing 65 mph on the freeway in traffic, the car suddenly slipped out of gear and slowed drastically almost causing the car behind me to rear end me. I slowed and it popped back into gear. I got it off the freeway and was then able to barely get it into a parking lot. I had it towed to a repair shop and was informed that fluid from the radiator was leaking into the transmission which damaged the transmission. I went back to the Nissan dealer and they apologized for not providing me all of the details and stated that Nissan is aware of the "design flaw in the radiator" but is not covering any of the repairs.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Apr 072012

Xterra 6-cyl

My Nissan which I loved originally when I purchased it brand new has been nothing but problems and I have maintained it and serviced it faithfully. I had taken my truck for service twice prior to this incident for regular maintenance and nothing was detected as far as the radiator cracking. This is what causes the transmission to go. The first time I went for service it was still under warranty nothing was said. The second time at 80588 another service was done basic oil change and tire rotation supposedly everything checked out fine each time a multi point inspections was done. I imagine this includes placing the vehicle on the diagnostic computerized machine. Well, shortly after this is when my major problems began. My vehicle began to vibrate as if I was on the highway riding on the shoulder were the warning strips with the grids vibrates your car when you go over onto them. I related the vibration to the recent tire rotation I checked the tires made sure nuts were tight and nothing was off; everything checked out fine. The awkward vibration continued so I scheduled an appointment with my local Nissan dealer and that"S when I got the devastating news a whopping $7371 in repairs for a cracked radiator and damaged transmission. There were no warning signs what so ever no engine light, no overheating, and no smell of antifreeze. Nissan is fully aware of the problem and so are the dealers. Nothing was said to me with prior visits and they quickly knew what the problem was and were certain of the problem. These dealers are definitely aware and making money off innocent consumers for these unjust out of pocket repairs. Where is the justice in all of this"

- Pemberton , NJ, USA

Nov 242011

Xterra 6-cyl Diesel

Coolant leak into transmission. Common problem to design flaw. Costly $5,000+ repair.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Sep 112011

Xterra

I purchased a 2007 Xterra at the beginning of the year with just over 80,000. I have the problem where the radiator and transmission failed simultaneously. I am currently paying a $292 note on a car that will not move. I felt comforted in the fact that I purchased the extended warranty with coverage for 100,000 miles or 6 years after the purchase. The factory warranty will not cover the cost to repair the radiator. Even though I have warranty coverage for transmission, the same dealership that sold me the expensive extended warranty and overcharged for the car is trying to charge $7700 for the job with new parts or $5500 to do the job with used parts. I know now that the job would have to utilize a new radiator because the original radiators are causing coolant and transmission fluid to mix. I see reports that Nissan is starting to recognize the fact that they have faulty radiators but is not holding themselves liable for any of the damages to any of the parts of the car even though most it is under warranty (even though everyone's radiator should have a factory recall by now). There is even a New York times article about the radiator/transmission problem with multiple Nissan models. It is written in the contract that if the radiator causes the problem, then the transmission damages will not be covered. Also the radiator, which seems to be the part causing all of the problems, is not even covered at all in the warranty nor is it under a factory recall. I purchased a certified pre-owned car with a warranty because I did not want to have a car that would give me further financial troubles in costly repairs. Nissan is aware of this problem, but does not take any responsibility because of how much it would cost to repair radiators and/or transmissions for everyone that owns an Xterra, frontier or pathfinder.

- Denver, CO, USA