Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2007 Nissan Xterra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Oct 092016

Coolant contamination in the transmission causing engine failure and transmission failure. Also blows fuses and car will not start. Was sitting at a red light when it turned green and I accelerated the car would not go. When I got to a safe place to turn it off it would not turn back on. Upon further investigation I am one of many that have complained about this and Nissan has yet to recall this issue. I was lucky to be at a red light and not driving on the interstate. Also this is my 16 year olds car and thank goodness she wasn't driving it when it happened.the car was purchased less than a month. Ago with 133000 miles on it and was running great until today. This issue could be very dangerous and should be taken care of by the manufacturer.

- Ten Mile, TN, USA

Sep 192016

Transmission contamination by coolant costing $4578

- Reno, NV, USA

Oct 012016

Service engine light came on the vehicle. Took it to my local mechanic. Mechanic said it was throwing transmission codes suggested take it to dealer towed car to Nissan dealer. They told me the radiator coolent had leaked into the transmission proceeded to quote me a price of $6042 for new transmission, radiator and coolant. What I don't understand is if this is a known defect why doesn't Nissan make this right" I bought this vehicle used in January from a dealership it is now October and I have a vehicle that repairs are going to cost almost as much as I paid for car. I was driving down the road then wham my vehicle is ruined because of pure greed. Why can't someone care about hard working people and make companies who produce defective stuff be held accountable"

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 132015

Car has a little over 100,000 miles and began to vibrate in transmission then noticed radiator was full of slimy sludge mechanic suggested we replace radiator and thermostats which we did ($478.52). Ran for about a week after and just shut off one day throwing up engine codes for transmission. That's when we discovered the coolant contamination. Upon calling Nissan they informed me it was not going to be cheap would need to replace transmission. Car has been sitting since and I still owe on it but cant afford the 3-6K dollar estimates I have received.

- Weaverville, NC, USA

Jun 292016

My vehicle was driving perfectly without any issues at all until one day on the way home I stopped at a stop sign near my home. Then as I started to proceed down the city street the check engine light and 4WD lights came on in the dash and the vehicle would barely move. I just barely got it into the driveway of my home. After I turned it off I attempted to restart the vehicle it would not even attempt to turn over. I checked online to see what would cause these symptoms to find that hundreds upon thousands of other Nissan owners have had the same happen to them. It is a known issue of cross contamination of radiator fluid and transmission fluid due to a faulty design in the radiator. I had a mechanic check my engine as well and he confirmed that the grey sludge in the radiator and grit in my transmission fluid fit the symptoms of this issue. Now I am being told I have to pay over $5000 to have repairs done because of a design flaw that Nissan refuses to take full responsibility for. I am lucky that this failure happened in my neighborhood versus the interstate or it could have not only left me with figuring out how to come up with $5000 but how to pay for hundreds of thousands of dollars for repair bills to other cars I might have caused to wreck do to this catastrophic transmission failure.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Nov 152015

Takata recall - I had went church and after I got out. I got back in the vehicle and when I tried to back up in reverse it wouldnt go, but if I pressed the gas a lil harder it went in reverse. So I got out of the vehicle and had mechanic that I go to church with look at it and he drove it around the parking lot. Then checked the fluid thats when he realised that the fluid color had changed and told me that I had transmission problems.

- Marion, NC, USA

Apr 242016

Coolant leaked into transmission and transmission broke down.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Jul 142016

Check engine light came on went to Nissan place where they did a test on it and calm the did not exactly what was wrong but it had something to do with the transmission and gave me prices on replacing the transmission. They did not tell me they have been having problems with their transmission. They also calm they did not know what the code that it was putting out mean just that it had something to do with the transmission (lies) finally after almost a month my car stopped, I took it to a transmission shop and it was took apart is when I was told it had coolant in it from the radiator that has cause damage to my transmission it was then that I went on line to learn of this problem I am asking for a recall and reimbursement of this cost due to the fact that Nissan knows about this problem. I was stationary at the time of this incident. At this time my car is in shop due to the fact that I do not have over 3000 dollars. I brought this car new in 2007 and I am the only owner and keep my maintance

- Fitzgerald, GA, USA

Aug 092016

I was driving the vehicle on the highway, when the automatic transmission stopped shifting gears and the car decelerated. After it came to a stop, the car would not start again. After talking to mechanics, it appears that a defect in the radiator caused the radiator and transmission fluid to intermix, wrecking both the radiator and transmission.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 122013

I had noticed that the temperature gauge would bounce up and down and when I went to check the antifreeze it was full of purple goop. I was told the coolant and transmission have been compromised. I took very good care of this care with oil change, all fluid changes as well. I can't not afford to have this problem fixed. The SUV has been parked since then and that was over 3 years ago. I was hoping to have a resolution of this with a recall.

- Newark, OH, USA

Jun 262016

Our car had no pickup when taking off from stop light and making a left turn. We were crossing traffic which made this quite scary as we almost stalled in the middle of the road. We pulled into a parking lot and turned it off. Wouldn't start back up and the gear indicator on the dash wasn't showing which gear it was in. Had it towed to the dealership and was told the coolant leaked into the transmission, which is a known problem with this car, and contaminated the transmission and the sensors. I was never contacted about this issue so I didn't know about it until I went online and saw all of the other complaints from people with the same issue. I just went over the 100,000 mile mark this year so Nissan will not fix it. I don't understand why this isn't a recall issue instead of a warranty extension issue with Nissan willing to cover the cost over $3,000. Who has $3,000 that they can afford or even have for that matter" I've filed a complaint with Nissan and am hoping that someone will help me either pay for this or give me full fair market value for the car so I can buy another one and use this as a trade in. Not sure that I'll buy a Nissan though, if they don't take care of me, that's for sure. The other issues that I've had with this car is the fuel sensor went out, which I've also seen other complaints on and the windshield wiper motor on the passenger side has gone out. Not sure if this has been something that others have experienced or not. All in all this has been a great car, but considering I bought it used with very low miles on it and just made my last car payment 4 days ago, I'm absolutely sick over this. Even worse is the fact that we could've been killed by oncoming traffic but were fortunate enough that the car did make it before any cars got too close to us. Is that what it's going to take before Nissan does something"

- Riverview, FL, USA

May 182016

Transmission appears to have coolant mixed into it. Also the fuel send unit has failed

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 202016

I bought Nissan Xterra with 94,000milles on it. One month later, I noticed that the radiator was filed with type of milky substance. I took it to the mecanic, he flushed the raidiator and flush the transmission, because there was a possibility of cross contaminations. The vehicule was fine for a couple of days, few days later my car completely shut down on New Jersey turnpike. I struggled to put on the side, thanx god nobody was hurt. Transmission gone. I had to tow it to the mecanic and I had to spent 3K to get it fix. It seens that it is a common problem and Nissan should take responsability for this car

- Paterson, NJ, USA

May 022016

Was having trouble with transmission on 07 Nissan Xterra. Found a lawsuit that had been settled with Nissan involving factory defects of the radiator oil cooler which leaks into transmission and destroys transmission. Took an oil sample from my vehicle to an independent company and was told that their was antifreeze in the oil. Took my vehicle and the oil sample into Nissan so that my transmission could be replaced. ($2500 cost to me per the Nissan lawsuit settlement) service department called back and tried to tell me that without dropping the transmission that they could tell that the antifreeze was not the cause of my failed transmission. After further discussion with the service manager who admitted that they couldn't tell what caused the failure of my transmission and that my oil sample proved that the factory defect was the most likely cause of my transmission failure, he then proceeded to explain that they had to follow Nissan procedure which was a visual inspection. My oil sample trumped their visual inspection but they still refused to fix my vehicle even under the laws of the Nissan settlement which was supposed to cover my vehicle. I first started having problems while driving, my Xterra almost doesn't even run now and is definitely not road safe any more yet Nissan still won't fix it.

- Lead, SD, USA

Mar 202016

When I am drivinging at a slow speed, my transmission makes a noise and then feels like it's going to die, now I have noticed that there is fluid leaking from my radiator. When I researched the issue I was having and realizised this is a recurring problem that is being reported by many Nissan Xterra owners and that nission has been aware of this issue since 2007, when I originally purchased my Xterra. Now that I understand what the issue is, the radiator is leaking fluid in to my transmission and is destroying the transmission and radiator. In doing research on the problem I was having, and what happens when this occurs, I'm frightened to even drive my Xterra at this point. Considering that Nissan takes no responsibility in what should clearly be a recall, I'm stuck with a car that I've just recently paid off, that I am afraid to drive and do not have $4,700 to have the radios and transmission replaced. There was no warning when this happened at all. I have always maintained my Nissan and thought I had made a well informed decision in my purchase. I will never do business with this company again. I'm so disappointed in the situation Nissan has put myself and apparently many, many others in. No way to do business.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Nov 262015

Car began to go into neutral while on highway 500 miles from home. Scared my family to death. Lost power at a high speed. Problem ebbed but continued all the way home. Nissan stated radiator fluid had gotten into transmission due to defect in transmission line that was passing through the radiator. Same Nissan' dealer's cheapest solution was to put a used transmission in for $3,500 plus labor. I contracted with a private mechanic. I also purchased a separate system to route the transmission fluid correctly in the future. Mechanic showed me the clutches which were destroyed. He may still have them.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Apr 082016

Complete transmission failure without warning. Going 70 miles per hour down interstate...during rush hr surrounded by 18 wheelers... putting my wife's life in danger.... this is obviously a safety recall issue.... thanks

- Juliette, GA, USA

Apr 122016

Nissan transmission fluid/radiator coolant leak issue: Rough automatic transmission behavior noticed during stop and go city driving. Check engine light came on. Repair shop diagnosed check engine light code as transmission torque issue, pointing to transmission fluid. Repair shop found leak in coolant radiator servicing the transmission fluid, resulting in water/glycol intrusion into the transmission fluid. Radiator, and coolant fluid replaced, as well as transmission fluid flushed/replaced. A few days later, transmission slippage was felt and the check engine light appeared again. Expecting transmission has been compromised due to prior, defective radiator.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Apr 062016

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Xterra. The contact stated that the transmission fluid leaked onto the radiator and ruined the transmission. There was no warning indicator. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 042016

My family and I was going down a big hill when the transmission went to the lowest gear on its own almost stopping us dead in its tracks 20 mph and we was on the interstate making big semi trucks locking brakes and almost hitting us running 70 plus mph. My daughter in the back, so we made it to the side of the road shut it off and we was fine agin.I took it home and transmission fluid was in the radiator, then looking on the internet thousands of Nissan are hav ing the same problems but yet no recalls!!! it almost cost our lives for a company to sorry to fix their product! so what do I do im scared to drive it help asap

- Morehead, KY, USA