CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2.7

hardy worth mentioning

2007 Nissan Xterra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Feb 112014

Xterra

The "check engine" light on my 07 Xterra went off when leaving my garage. Using my scangauge, I found out my engine was showing error code P0463. When we got home I jumped on the net and discovered that it meant my fuel level sensor was malfunctioning and that, while no real threat to my safety was posed other than possibly running out of gas by surprise, it seems this is a very common problem with Xterras. So common in fact, that previous generation Nissan were actually recalled for a similar issue. Unfortunately, no recall has been placed on the part for the 2nd gen yet, and so Nissan customers are being forced to have the dealer make the repair to the tune of about $600. Also it seem like a lot of other people are having the same issue with this faulty part according to the internet.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Nov 072013

Xterra 6-cyl

My wife refueled her vehicle and the "service engine soon" light came on. The gas gauge then went from full to zero and low fuel light came on. Soon after, the tmps sensor also went out. I thought it might be the gas cap being lose, but it wasn't. the gas gauge will fluctuate between empty and full. This is my wife's car and it is a hazard to be driven on the road, especially if she runs out of gas.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Oct 252013

Xterra 6-cyl

Ongoing problems with P0463 code and ses light. Fuel sensor does not function correctly, so I of not know how much gas is in my car. Apparently there was a recall on this for the 2006 and 2008, but not the 07? this is dangerous! I do not want to run out of gas while I'm driving!

- Thomasville , NC, USA

Sep 172013

Xterra 6-cyl

Fuel level sensor was malfunctioning on my Xterra, seems to be an ongoing thing with Xterras since people keep posting about it www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?T=10923 and www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2010/08/xterrapathfinder-fuel-gauge-erratic-P0463-check-engine-light/ this should be recalled.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Oct 012012

Xterra 6-cyl

I filled up my gas tank and when I left, I noticed the "service engine soon" light and that my gas gage was in empty right after filling up. After a little while the service light would go off and the gas gage seemed to be working again. I did a little web research and found many other owners are seeing the same issue. IżżM willing to live with using my trip gage because the cost to fix is too much for a known issue. Love my Xterra just hate this issue. What I have found is that the federal mandate on ethanol mixed gas corrodes the censure is from one person thoughts. Also found that if you take it in, the code will say, P0463 which means you fuel sender unit sensor is out.

- Conway, AR, USA

May 152013

Xterra 6-cyl

I filled up my gas tank and when I left the gas station and started driving home the "service engine soon" light came on. The gas gauge did not read as a full tank either and I also full my tank up every time I get gas. I also reset to odometer so I know how many miles I get with each tank of gas. I took my Nissan Xterra 2007 to have them read the code to me and it came back "P0463". this is the fuel sender unit sensor. Apparently, this problem seems to be an long ongoing issue with Nissan. It should be a recall defect but it is not. The sensor part goes bad and they want the customer to pay out $600. To fix the problem. This is S problem that needs to be fixed by the dealership!

- Reno, NV, USA

Oct 082008

Xterra 6-cyl

Fuel level gauge always show empty. Check engine on sense problem started.

- Irving , TX, USA

May 042011

Xterra

The fuel gauge on my 2007 Nissan Xterra is giving wrong readings, causes engine light to come on and I have gotten stuck without gas twice.. I'm up for smog test in a couple months and because engine light is on due to this problem I'll not be able to get this car register in ca.this should be a recall !

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Mar 082012

Xterra

My 2007 Nissan Xterra, just passing the 50K, and now the service engine soon light on with code P0463. Seems that if I keep the fuel tank filled up above 1/4, then this problem will go away, but from time to time there's a malfunction of the fuel sensor.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Mar 012012

Xterra 6-cyl

At 4100 mile after filling the gas tank ses light came on and the fuel gauge was stuck on 1/4 tank this is a 2007 Nissan Xterra.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Mar 062012

Xterra 6-cyl

After a check engine light came on the computer showed a code of P0463, fuel level sensor circuit high input. I have read on the internet this is a very common problem with this vehicle. The dealer charges $600 to fix this problem. This needs a recall.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Mar 012012

Xterra

Fuel sensor gives false information, vehicle runs out of gas on the freeway nearly causing fatal accident.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 012011

Xterra

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Xterra. The contact stated that the fuel gauge malfunctioned and was providing inaccurate fuel level readings. The failure caused the contact to run out of fuel while driving on the highway. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The test results showed that the float that read the fuel was fractured and needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the float replaced in the fuel tank. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign I.D. number 10V075000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:auxillary tank) but due to the year of the vehicle, it was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 172012

Xterra 6-cyl

Service engine soon light comes on, have it checked and it shows engine code po 463 - fuel level sensor malfunction. Gas gauge moves up and down while driving and distance to empty displays -----, 0 or very low mile to empty even after pulling away from the pump with a full tank.

- Parkville, MO, USA

Jan 032012

Xterra 6-cyl

We ran out of gas with half a tank on the fuel gauge. In the middle of a funeral service. Not a fun day. Thank you Nissan for extending a warranty on the problem and not issuing a recall that everyone would find out about before running out of gas on the road.

- Wakefield, MA, USA

Feb 042012

Xterra 6-cyl

Fuel level system malfunctioned. The gauge read 1/4 full when the tank was really empty.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Dec 012011

Xterra 6-cyl

My check engine son light came on, I went to autozone and I was told the error code stated fuel sending unit/sensor. I was told that Nissan recommends you keep a half a tank of gas in the tank. My Xterra guage is very unpredictable 90% of the time even when I fill the tank up the guage doesn't register, and it's stuck on E with the gas light on constantly, which has caused me a single mother of 3 to run out of gas twice. I have done some research and found that there was a voluntary recall, but I've been told that there wasn't. I also live in a city where there is emissions testing which I can't pass because of the check engine light, I cannot receive my vehicle tag, which means I can't work or drive. I would like this sensor replaced at no charge to me because as reading online there has been 53,000 people with the same issue. I would like to know what are my options and the next step I can take to get this resolved.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jan 032012

Xterra 6-cyl

Error code P0463, fuel sensor error. When the gas tank is full, the gauge registers empty (less then E actually) until some of the fuel is used and then the gauge registers accurately (I think).

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Nov 082011

Xterra

After re-fueling, the gas indicator drops below empty, and the check engine light turns on. After driving it ~100 miles, the fuel gauge will then go to approximately the real fuel level (around 3/4 of a tank). After driving about another 100 miles the check engine light turns off. Every time I re-fuel, this problem occurs again. It makes it extremely difficult to tell how much gas I have left. I will never buy a Nissan again.

- Latham, NY, USA

Dec 012009

Xterra 6-cyl

Vehicle fuel level gauge does not work. Pegs high then goes low. Causes check engine light to come on. Car cannot pass emissions test due to faulty sensor. 2006 and 2008 Nissan Xterra have had a recall on this component. I do not understand why not the 2007 which has the exact same component.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA