CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

4.2

2007 Nissan Xterra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Apr 012008

Xterra

I had 1/4 of a tank of gas and went to fill up. After filling up my gas tank, I turned on the car, at which point the needle did not register the full tank. After driving a couple miles, the check engine light came on. I went directly to the dealer and Nissan customer service and was told that it was a fuel sending unit/sensor and that it was no longer covered after 30K miles. After returning home and doing research, I went online to X.nissanhelp.com after performing a search, I came across many others who have experienced the same problem. Apparently it has something to do with the fuel sending unit. A similar problem was found on the 2000-2004 Xterra models and a recall was performed when the vehicle would stop after not getting any fuel, posing a great danger. It seems that something in the unit is faulty and will corrode over time. There is a general consensus that everyone who is having the problem is experiencing the same thing after having the vehicle for over 2 yrs and with around 39K-49K. If this problem existed in previous models, and it was recalled, the 2005-2007 Xterras, frontiers, and pathfinders should get this fixed at no charge to the customer!! why wait for accidents and possible deaths, especially since the problem lies in an integral part of the vehicle. Cost of repair ranges from $300-600.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Xterra

I drive a 2007 Nissan Xterra...which I bought new from the dealer. I stopped to get gas a few months ago and noticed that, after putting gas in my tank, my light still said I was on empty. After a few hours it jumped back up to full, and now, as soon as my gas is at 3/4 of a tank, it automatically jumps to E and my check engine light remains on. I am constantly stopping for gas because I cannot tell how much gas I have. Further, after doing research, I have discovered this is an apparent huge problem with other Nissan Xterras, pathfinders and frontiers from the 2005 to 2007 years. I have also discovered that any auto place wants to charge me up to $600 to fix this part..which is an apparent defect from the manufacturer. I should not have to pay any money out of my pocket to fix this!

- Plano, TX, USA

Dec 022008

Xterra

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra with 14K miles. Fuel gauge does not register when tank is filled up. Occasionally as driving, my tank will be completely full, but the gauge will shoot down to empty and cause low fuel light to come on. This will also trigger the check engine to come on. The engine, at times, as also acted as if it is about to stall due to being out of gas...which it is not. My mechanic, whom I have used for many years, has informed me that this is a fuel line sensor in the gas tank after running the codes during trying to get my vehicle inspected, which failed due to check engine light being on. This seems to be a problem for a number of people with this vehicle.

- Stewartstown , PA, USA

Mar 092009

Xterra

I had a 1/4 tank of gas in my 2007 Nissan Xterra so I filled it up with gas. When I turned the engine back on the fuel gauge read 1/4 tank still. As I proceeded to drive the ses light came on. I went directly to the dealer and was told that it was a fuel sending unit/sensor and that it was no longer covered after 30K miles. After returning home and doing research, I went online to X.nissanhelp.com after performing a search, I came across many others who have experienced the same problem. Apparently it has something to do with the fuel sending unit. A similar problem was found on the 2000-2004 Xterra models and a recall was performed when the vehicle would stop after not getting any fuel, posing a great danger. It seems that something in the unit is faulty and will corrode over time. There is a general consensus that everyone who is having the problem is experiencing the same thing after having the vehicle for over 2 yrs and with around 39K-49K. If this problem existed in previous models, and it was recalled, the 2005-2007 Xterras, frontiers, and pathfinders should get this fixed at no charge to the customer!! why wait for accidents and possible deaths, especially since the problem lies in an integral part of the vehicle. Cost of repair ranges from $300-600.

- Tomkins Cove, NY, USA

Dec 152008

Xterra

1) fuel gauge stopped functioning, and service engine indicator lighted. The fuel gauge behaves erratically, generally showing tank is empty, even when full. 2) problem occurs constantly, requiring careful tracking of mileage to determine when to re-fuel. 3) checked on-line forums for Nissan Xterras, and this is a common problem caused by corrosion to the fuel sender unit. Most replacements cost between $450 and $650 for parts and labor.

- Coraopolis, PA, USA