8.8

$5,850.00

1. replace transmission (3 reports)
2008 Nissan Xterra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Xterra:

2008 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Mar 012012

Xterra 4.0L V6

I noticed some shuddering when the xterra would shift into overdrive. The problem was intermittent. Hind sight revealed the engine not warming up while idling. Turns out the radiator had a leak and the coolant was mixing in with the transmission fluid. Local dealer said I had to replace both the radiator and transmission. I was 6,000 miles out of warranty. I called Nissan and asked for an extension on the drive train warranty. After several weeks I was denied coverage based on my lack of loyalty ( I only have one Nissan) and I don't frequent the dealer service center on a regular basis. I then find out that this is a common problem with 2005 Xterras. I don't think I'll be buying a Nissan after this.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 102013

Xterra 4.0L

Okay so I am sick to my stomach sitting here reading everyone's post. I am a 20 year old student who is fresh out of school who purchased a 2008 Xterra to try and build my credit. I thought I had a great car and all and now after I have had my car not even a YEAR Nissan dealership is telling me it will cost $9,000 altogether to fix it with me paying 3,000. I "politely" told them to shove it up theirs. I am hoping to fix the problem by dropping a new radiator in it and flushing the transmission. You would think the dealership would warn you of this when you make a purchase. I work hard for my money where in the hell do they think I can pull 3,000 bucks from. That is all...just ranting about it. My advice is AVOID NISSAN AT ALL COST. that is all.

- , Lilesville, NC, USA

May 012013

Xterra X 4L V6

I just found out that I am a victim of the dreaded manufacturing defect where the transmission cooler leaks and the fluids mix, killing the transmission. I took apart the old radiator and was able to blow bubbles with it through the leak into some water. Nissan needs to extend the mileage for this problem soon.

- , Spokane, WA, USA

Jan 012013

Xterra

I have a 2008 Xterra, with 75,000 miles and a few months ago, I noticed it was overheating, Took it to mechanic, he said it was the Thermostat, so we replaced it. Recently, I have noticed that I don't have the same acceleration power I used to, and the car has started to overheat again. It shudders while idling and while accelerating, the heater doesn't work, and after being parked for a while, I notice a brown fluid on the ground under radiator. I had been unaware of Nissans problems until yesterday, when I received the class action letter. I am wondering if this could be what is wrong with my xterra, as most of what I am reading seems to be older models. Can anyone tell me if they experienced these symptoms before their cars were so severely disabled?

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 062012

Xterra SE V6

Coolant leaked into transmission it will cost $5700.00 I dont have the monies to pay

- , Buckeye, AZ, USA