8.9

$5,850.00

1. replace transmission (5 reports)
2008 Nissan Xterra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Xterra:

2008 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Apr 202015

Xterra SW V6

Poor design from Nissan on the coolant and transmission system. They should be held responsible for this mistake. It will take a large amount of money to fix this issue and it's all because of Nissan's bad engineering.

- , Bethel Park, PA, USA

Feb 142015

Xterra S V6

I currently have a 2008 Nissan Xterra with 146K miles. I took my car into Sutherlin Nissan at the Mall of Georgia as the Service Engine Soon Light was on and was told that the Radiator was cracked and leaking fluid into the transmission that both would need to be replaced. The dealer informed me that the cost would be over $4k to replace both.

I took it somewhere else and had the Radiator replaced. However, I’m still experiencing problems with the transmission. I took it to a Korean shop Votech where the owner Vo is very familiar with all types of cards. I explained to Vo what the issue was and he said that over 90% of the Nissan rear wheel drive trucks that come in have the same problem and that Nissan should be in a lawsuit or issuing a recall real soon on these vehicles.

I’m a single mother of two and I’m unemployed, so of course I can’t afford to pay $4k to replace a transmission. I have paid Nissan all of this money to purchase the vehicle and they are aware of this issue, then they should be held accountable for faulty parts in their vehicles regardless of how many miles are on the vehicle. I’m voicing my concern as a customer and I want people to know not to buy Nissan if they are not going to treat their customers unfairly.

- , Duluth, GA, USA

Jun 222015

Xterra 4.0L

We, Rebecca & I, financed this 2008 Nissan Xterra on November 10th 2012. We are the second owner's. I read in a blog that the original owner was notified of this transmission problem on 08/2012. He(the orig. owner) brought this Xterra to Lander's McLarty, where Rebecca and I financed it. (No one informed us of this transmission problem or we would have passed)--Landers McLarty sold me a warranty for $1,380 called The Superior Protection Plan.

The sales man, Robert Holley, told us that since our vehicle had 98,000 miles, under 100,00 miles, we would also be covered by a power train warranty for as long as we own our vehicle. Well, I called and Landers is no longer there along with Mr.Holley.

The problem with the Xterra is that it will not move when you push the gas pedal.--We pay $384 per month to credit acceptance. We have never been late or missed a payment. We are both disabled and had to show Mr.Holley our award's letters. I think we were taken advantage of by being lied to about the life time power train warranty and not being told about the recall on these Xterras.They all got together to get our money that took us so long to save.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Apr 302015

Xterra

I was just informed by the Nissan dealer that my Nissan must have transmission replaced as well as radiator due to a defect and engine coolant that leaked into transmission. Brought it in because of rough shifting and jerking during driving when automatic transmission shifts upwards. after researching I found this: NHTSA Defect Investigations for the 2008 Nissan Xterra

The Office of Defects Investigations (ODI) is an office within the NHTSA which investigates serious safety problems in the design, construction or performance of vehicles. The NHTSA is authorized to order manufacturers to recall and repair vehicles, if the ODI finds a safety issue. NHTSA investigations for the 2008 Nissan Xterra, both ongoing and closed, are listed below:

Transmission Failure (ATF contamination)NHTSA Defect Investigation #DP12004 Status: OPEN

Date Opened:June 11, 2012 Date Closed:Pending Recall:possible recall

Component(s): Power Train Power Train:Automatic Transmission Power Train:Automatic Transmission:Control Module (Tcm, Pcm) Power Train:Automatic Transmission:Cooling Unit And Lines Power Train:Automatic Transmission:Torque Converter

Summary: ODI received a petition requesting investigation of transmission damage attributed to contamination by engine coolant.The source of the contamination is a cracked ATF line that runs through an engine coolant chamber in the radiator.ODI has received (512) five-hundred-twelve consumer complaints between August 2005 to May 2012 regarding transmission problems.A copy of the petition will be placed in the public file.ODI will review its content and related field data to assess whether a safety defect investigation is warranted.Referenced VOQs are listed on a separate page.

NHTSA: For detailed information & supporting documents, see the official NHTSA page concerning investigation #DP12004 »

GOING ON 3 YEARS AND STILL RESEARCHING ??????????????????????????????????????

- , Kenosha, USA

Mar 012012

Xterra 4.0L V6

I noticed some shuddering when the xterra would shift into overdrive. The problem was intermittent. Hind sight revealed the engine not warming up while idling. Turns out the radiator had a leak and the coolant was mixing in with the transmission fluid. Local dealer said I had to replace both the radiator and transmission. I was 6,000 miles out of warranty. I called Nissan and asked for an extension on the drive train warranty. After several weeks I was denied coverage based on my lack of loyalty ( I only have one Nissan) and I don't frequent the dealer service center on a regular basis. I then find out that this is a common problem with 2005 Xterras. I don't think I'll be buying a Nissan after this.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 102013

Xterra 4.0L

Okay so I am sick to my stomach sitting here reading everyone's post. I am a 20 year old student who is fresh out of school who purchased a 2008 Xterra to try and build my credit. I thought I had a great car and all and now after I have had my car not even a YEAR Nissan dealership is telling me it will cost $9,000 altogether to fix it with me paying 3,000. I "politely" told them to shove it up theirs. I am hoping to fix the problem by dropping a new radiator in it and flushing the transmission. You would think the dealership would warn you of this when you make a purchase. I work hard for my money where in the hell do they think I can pull 3,000 bucks from. That is all...just ranting about it. My advice is AVOID NISSAN AT ALL COST. that is all.

- , Lilesville, NC, USA

May 012013

Xterra X 4L V6

I just found out that I am a victim of the dreaded manufacturing defect where the transmission cooler leaks and the fluids mix, killing the transmission. I took apart the old radiator and was able to blow bubbles with it through the leak into some water. Nissan needs to extend the mileage for this problem soon.

- , Spokane, WA, USA

Jan 012013

Xterra

I have a 2008 Xterra, with 75,000 miles and a few months ago, I noticed it was overheating, Took it to mechanic, he said it was the Thermostat, so we replaced it. Recently, I have noticed that I don't have the same acceleration power I used to, and the car has started to overheat again. It shudders while idling and while accelerating, the heater doesn't work, and after being parked for a while, I notice a brown fluid on the ground under radiator. I had been unaware of Nissans problems until yesterday, when I received the class action letter. I am wondering if this could be what is wrong with my xterra, as most of what I am reading seems to be older models. Can anyone tell me if they experienced these symptoms before their cars were so severely disabled?

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 062012

Xterra SE V6

Coolant leaked into transmission it will cost $5700.00 I dont have the monies to pay

- , Buckeye, AZ, USA