NHTSA — Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Antilock Problems

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva:

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Owner Comments

Jul 102005

Achieva 6-cyl

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva. I own the above mentioned car. I have been having a lot of problems with the brakes, namely the ABS system. The ABS light continually comes on and my ABS makes a funny noise. The brakes also clunk several times when the vehicle is first started. I have taken this to be repaired at substantial cost and I was told that it was the wheel speed sensor that was not working correctly. Well, it was replaced and the problem stopped for a few days. But, has just started again and it is the same thing. The ABS light comes on, the brakes get spongy and fail at speeds from 5 mph to 55 mph. The noise from the ABS started again and the brakes are clunking again when the vehicle is first started. I can seem to get anybody that is able to do a permanent fix. And I can't get any info from GM about this. I noticed that someone else had filed a compliant on this site about the exact same problem and it was for the same model and year as my car. And, since it presents a clear and present danger, I figured I would file one too.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jan 012001

ABS braking sytem is defective when traveling in wet weather. When applying brakes, vehicle slides. Dealership aware of problem.

- Tuscon, AZ, USA

Apr 281999

At any speed vehicle will accelerate up to 70 mph, making it hard to stop vehicle. Took to dealer, and they said maybe the mat was getting stuck between pedal. 2nd time they said it was the computer, and third time they said solenoid was bad. Then they said ABS had a short in it. Dealer still has not found the cause of the problem.

- Phenox, AZ, USA