Fuel Gauge Is Erratic

7.5

2. replace fuel pump and sending relay (1 reports)
1999 Oldsmobile Alero fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Oldsmobile Alero:

1999 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Nov 142013

Alero GLS 4.2L V6

Just bought the vehicle, thanks to the following gas gauge being wrong, I was stuck from actually running out of fuel...

- , Ironton, MO, USA

Feb 112010

Alero 3.4L V6

I bought this car in February of 2010. From day one I have had nothing but issues with this car. Namely, The fuel gauge does not work and seems to have a mind of it's own. If the tank is full or at 3/4 tank the gauge isn't as much of a problem but once the tank gets anywhere below that the gauge will randomly move from full to empty and signal an annoying beeping sound and the low gas light to come on. I eventually pulled the fuse responsible for the beeping so i wouldn't have to hear it. I took my car to the shop and was told I needed to replace the ignition and ignition switch which i'm not sure what the hell that has to do with the fuel gauge. Needless to say, I did research of my own and thanks partially to this site have found that the fuel pump and sending relay are one piece in the gas tank and that is what needs to be replaced.

After calling around I found that the fuel pump and sending unit costs about

$250 not including labor which depending on where you take it could cost upwards of $250 because they have to drop the tank and can potentially screw up the gas lines or put a gaping hole in the tank. I was quoted $550 + for parts and labor but have yet to get it fixed. It's quite frustrating to have to log exactly how much gas (gallons) i put in the car and when I put it in plus how many miles I have driven and have found that I end up putting gas in this SOB POS every two days or so which is highly inconvenient.

Did I mention I do not know for sure how many miles to the gallon my car can go? I had to learn the hard way and guess-timate by topping off my tank and driving until the gas ran out to see how many miles i was able to drive in comparison to how many gallons of gas it took to fill the tank which was around 15 or so. I ended up figuring it gets about 17 miles to the gallon city and have mis-calculated this a few times and ended up stalling on the side of the road a couple times with my 3 year old in the back seat.

Now I feel a little better but definitely plan on buying a new car come taxes!

- , Vancouver, Washington, USA

Sep 232010

Alero

I KNOW IT IS SOME KIND OF SENSOR THAT IS WRONG WITH MY CAR AND THAT IT IS IN THE TANK. IF THEY DROP THE TANK TO REPLACE THE SENSOR WILL THEY ALSO DAMAGE THE GAS LINES LIKE THEY DID TO THE OTHER OLDS I OWNED BEFORE AND NOT SAY A WORD TO ME?

- , Bloomington, IL, USA

Oct 011999

Alero 4 cyl

the problem is that i have no idea when i have gas or how much by just glancing down. i have to keep a detailed record of when i got gas last and how much how many miles i had when i got gas the last time. the only easy solution is to put gas in it every two days or so but soon that gets to be a real inconvenience when i have things to do. it also causes a problem when im always having to get gas people think im going more places than i really am or that im driving to fast.its just really annoying and if you know any solutions i would appreciate it.

- , Kansas City, Missouri, USA