Leaking Coolant, Intake Manifold Gasket Failure

2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 2 of 2) Seal Of This Might Hurt

1. replace with newly revised upper and lower gaskets (13 reports)
  2. replace intake manifold (7 reports)
  4. replace water outlet assembly (1 reports)
2001 Oldsmobile Alero cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero:

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 092007

Alero GL 3.2 V6

We too had the same problem with our Olds Alero. The mechanic stated that GM initially used a thin gasket and if they had installed a thicker one we would not of had this problem. This is a very common problem with the Alero which is a mechanical defect.

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 072007

Alero GLS 3.4L

This piece of junk is as close to a money pit as it gets. It's falling apart. I already had the head gaskets replaced last year and today I'm having the water pump replaced. Both wheel hubs need to be replaced. Emergency flasher needs to be replaced because it causes the turn signals to go crazy. The dealership wants to charge me $160 to fix my fan, as it won't blow on the two lowest settings. They'd like another $160 to replace my cruise control button - it just won't stay engaged. The dome light fell out and the headliner had to be undone and dome light was simply snapped in place - at a cost of $68. If you ever have the opportunity to get this vehicle, run as far away as fast as possible. Buy this vehicle ONLY if you don't mind dropping a thousand bucks or so every few months. I will never buy another GM vehicle. That's sad because my brother and step dad are both retired from there. They won't get any more of my money.

- , Grandview, MO, USA

Nov 042007

Alero V6

Had the cooling/engine system completely fixed at a cost of $3,500+. The coolant was leaking in addition to a TON of other problems with this car. I had that repair work done in May of 2007 and now just a few months later the coolant is leaking again and the engine light keeps lighting up. I will have to take it in AGAIN to be looked at and simply refuse to put any more money into this car. It has been nothing but trouble (and a huge expense) ever since I got it. I absolutely hate this car and will never again buy another Oldsmobile of any kind.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Aug 132007

Alero GLS 3.4L V6

All I can say is... I'm really shocked at this problem. I've owned the car brand new with 6 miles on the odometer and babied the car. My case is very severe. I have to add 1 qt of coolant ever week now. It's leaking all over the damn place.

- , Southgate, MI, USA

Jul 122007

this is the biggest piece of krap we've ever had. The car would leak coolant and oil and then dump the coolant at any given time and cause the car to overheat. Had to add coolant every day. this car has been a nightmare since the day we bought it.

- , Sharon, TN, USA

Feb 192007

Alero GLS 3.4L

haha there is a class action lawsuit against GM for this, keep your receipts.

- , Lisbon, OH, USA