NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 3 of 4)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2001 Oldsmobile Alero electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero:

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jun 042013

• 1,177,000 miles

I recently bought a used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero gl and not even a day later, the turn signals have stopped working. The fuses are still in great shape and the hazard lights still work. I have done my research and have found that a recall was issued for certain VIN #'s for the turn signal relay and hazard light relay to be replaced. Although my VIN is not one of the issued numbers, I am experiencing the same problems. This is a danger when driving and I want my VIN to be investigated for the same recall. I just bought this car and was unaware of these issues. My safety and the safety of my family mean the most, and I can't afford to fix this problem myself when it wasn't caused by me in the beginning. Oldsmobile/GM should be responsible for fixing all affected vehicles and not just the ones in the recall bulletin.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 012012

Alero 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. Several minutes later the vehicle was restarted and operated as designed. One month later while the contact was driving 60 mph, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but no cause for the failure was determined. The suggestion was made to the contact to use a different key. The contact followed the dealers recommendations however, the failure recurred one month later. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure and current mileage was 110,000. Updated 6/13/13 the consumer believed the reason the vehicle continuously stalled, was due to the anti-theft system. The system believed the vehicle was being stolen and shut off the gas line, so the vehicle would stall. Updated 06/17/13

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Feb 222013

Alero 4-cyl

Just bought my 2001 Alero right off the car lot, but now the right side passenger mirror isn't working, lighter isn't working, called the car lot to tell them that and he said that it could be the fuse was bad! so I buy a used car for three grand and minor stuff starts happening to it.... how much is a fuse??

- Marshall, MI, USA

Jan 122012

Alero

The contact owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that the pass lock system prevented the vehicle from starting. The contact towed the vehicle to a local mechanic who replaced the pass lock system. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 91,054. The VIN was not available.

- Burlington , IA, USA

Oct 012011

Alero

The key can be removed while in drive. My turn signals go out on me.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 012010

Alero 6-cyl

Turning signals work intermittently and with no apparent reason (no bulbs burned out). Driver's side electric window also works intermittently.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Dec 062011

Alero 4-cyl

I have a 2001 old Alero 6 months ago my vehicle would not start I had it towed to a GM dealer which told me I needed a fuel pump so I had it fixed well a few weeks later car would start one day then nothing the next now it wont start at all it died while I was driving with my 4 children we were stuck for an hour in the cold I had it towed to my mechanic he says it the security system well it will cost almost 1000 dollars to fix so it will sit there until GM decides to do a recall I am not the first to complain and I know I wont be the last there should be something done as this is a safety issue.

- Providence, RI, USA

Jul 212011

Alero 4-cyl

I have a 2001 olds Alero I bought for my daughter. It has a problem with starting and stalling. Based on my research it appears to be a problem with the passkey security system. I have had the car towed multiple times, had it in the shop multiple times without resolution. It appears to be a common problem with GM cars of this era. There is no service notice available from GM on how to fix this problem. The car will just stop sometimes when my daughter is driving and I fear it could lead to a crash or injury.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Jun 092011

Alero

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - randomly shuts down while driving. Dealer indicates that the GM passlock system is faulty $600 to replace. This is a common problem on all GM and is very dangerous. I have 2 teenage daughters that have each been stranded various times as the car just randomly shuts down while driving. Very dangerous while in traffic! or in areas that you wouldn't want your daughter stuck alone at night. This has been happening randomly for several years. No on could tell me until now what was causing it ( including other dealers) I have spent +$1,000 previously trying to solve this.

- Dublin , OH, USA

May 202010

Alero

I bought a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero in 2008 deployed for a year and half while gone the car sat in a garage came back and it worked fine for almost two years then one day it refused to start. The motor would crank but not turn over and the security light came on. I did the 10 minute security reset procedure per the owners manual and that work once but once I turned the car off it would not start again and the reset procedure would not work again. I have replaced the ignition switch with no change to the issue. The car has now been sitting for 6 months since I cant afford to go threw the process of replacing random parts that may or may not fix the issue. I am now down to my wife's car only with 4 kids. I am still making payments on this car and it doesn't even run and of course the dealer isn't taking it back. There are no guaranteed fixes for this issue.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 232010

Alero 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact was driving over a bump at 15 mph when the traction, check engine, and other warning lights illuminated. Prior to the failure, the vehicle had several electrical failures associated with the pass lock security feature and was repaired. Updated 11/9/10 the vehicle pass lock system was repaired by the dealer. The multiple id warning light has not been repaired or diagnosed by the dealer. Updated 11/16/10

- Bay City , MI, USA

Jul 302010

Alero

My car won't start due to the security light coming on. I had my car towed into a dealership. They stated no start just crank theft light came on. They inspect and found code B2960, replaced pass lock cylinder and recode and program. This should be a recall issue, there to many complaints with this car. There was a recall regarding in fuel pressure regulators and this is similar to that fuel being cut off from the engine. And it says that when these cars reach 102,000 miles this is what happens it either won't start due to security or when you shift it locks and security lights come on. Samething. Please look into this matter it cost me $580 to repair this. And they new it would happen when you reach the 102,000 mile point.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Mar 022010

Alero 6-cyl

2001 olds Alero with only 31,000 miles - wife called and said it would crank but not start, she tried multiple times, I drove to location (about 15 minutes) used my key, it would crank over but not start, had it towed to local garage, after sitting overnight they tried starting, it would not, pushed it into the garage and checked to see if engine was getting fuel, it was but it would shut off after a second or two, they determined it was the security system passlock II causing the issue allowing to crank but shutting off the fuel, they went through a 10 minute reset procedure and it started. I researched on the net and found this to have hundreds (if not more) of complaints from GM owners 1996 thru 2004 I believe, many people being ripped off for repairs and replacements that do not resolve the issue. I understand from this research that Honda had a similar issue and put out a recall. Why doesn't GM admit they have a problem and fix it thru a recall"? they say this isn't a safety issue, I say it is, what if my wife has our infant grand daughter with her and goes to leave someplace and it is 0 degrees outside, she now has to wait 10 minutes and hope the car will start" or if your car stalls on a railroad track and now I have to wait 10 minutes to let it reset, the list goes on and this is not the owner's problem, it is the sellers problem they should be forced to fix. Towing cost was $55 and garage cost was $29 but others have spent hundreds if not thousands on worthless repairs and replacements - suggest you do a little research on passlock problems and you will see what I mean.

- Dover, PA, USA

Sep 152009

Alero

The passlock system on my Oldsmobile Alero is defective, not allowing me to start my car unless it goes through a 10-15 minute reset. This problem is shared by many many other people. It is frightening to think that may car is not able to respond in the case of an emergency. This should be recalled and fixed by GM.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 062009

Alero

I pressed the hazard button in the dash and the button receded into the dashboard. The lights were flashing. Pressed again to turn them off. The button has fallen out of the hole into the dash and is, of course, impossible to retrieve. So now I have no hazard lights. Lets hope I don' T need them.

- Troy, MI, USA

Nov 262008

Alero

The turn signal continues to click after making a turn and using the signal. I first noticed this on the turnpike switching lanes. I put the turn signal on and when it was turned off it continued to click but the lights were not flashing. The noise seemed to be coming from behind the steering wheel. Now the clicking will occur when I am driving straight or turning without using the turn signals. No repairs have been done.

- Troy, MI, USA

Aug 102009

Alero

The contact owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. The hazard switch failed to work intermittently which also caused the left and right turn signals to fail. NHTSA recall #03V327000, exterior lighting: Hazard flashing warning lights: Switch was related to the failure; however, the repair was made per the warranty. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact that his VIN was not a part of the recall. The failure mileage was 102,000.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Sep 052008

Alero

In September 2008 I was doing some errands and it was fine at one place that I had stopped at well I had stopped to go grocery shopping came out and went to put my key in the ignition and nothing would happened, it wouldn't even turn over. Called my dad, he came out to look at it everything appeared to be fine due to previous when I first bought the car there was misfire situation that had to be fixed. I had it towed to the dealer. The next morning after they hooked it up to the diagnostic test come to find out it was my pass lock system. Which, is where your computer doesn't read your key and stops sending fuel to the engine. So, to have it replaced with labor and all cost me about $600 to get it fixed. They had to purchase a new pass lock system and install it in my car.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Oct 182008

Alero

The contact owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that the past lock security system disables fuel from entering the engine once the vehicle is started. He went to a local repair shop and a technician replaced the spark plugs, fuel pump, and filter. Immediately after the repair, the failure resurfaced. Currently, all of the remedies have been insufficient in correcting the failure. The failure mileage was 120,102 and current mileage was 123,771.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 012008

Alero

The contact owns a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. The module that controls the rear window defogger, located underneath the back panel by the rear window, becomes very hot and melts. It melted the connection and the box that contains the module. As a result, the defogger does not work. The vehicle has not been to a dealer or repair shop. The contact has found several complaints for this failure and believes a recall should be issued. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 72,000 and current mileage was 80,000.

- Oswego, NY, USA