NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2002 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 3 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2002 Oldsmobile Alero electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Feb 042014

Alero

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to turn until after several attempts. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Beach Bottom, WV, USA

Jul 102014

Alero

Car would not start in parking lot of a business on Thursday morning. After about an hour it finally started so drove to Cadillac dealership. Was told it's my key and to go home and use my other key. Afraid to be stranded, so did not go anywhere until Sunday. Sunday morning went to and from church fine using the second key, so thought everything was okay. In afternoon, wanted to head out of town, so went to get gas. After filling my car, it would not start again. Tried using both keys, neither would work. Waited for 45-60 minutes, periodically trying, with no luck. Walked home since live nearby. Several hours later, walked to gas station to try my car again. This time it started, so drove home. Not sure what to do at this point. Looked up GMC website and it's saying my car is not on the "recall" list, yet I'm having this problem like everyone else. Also, approximately two months ago, was driving in Chicago. Pulled off the freeway to let my dog go to the bathroom and suddenly found my remote keys would not work and I could not get into my car!!! eventually, I was able to get into the passenger side.

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Sep 052013

Alero 6-cyl

The car initially would not start, googled help left in start position for 10 minutes then started. While driving the car shut off mid traffic, thought it was stolen. Taken to GM dealership put in new passcode key, told it was ok. Left dealership car cut off, taken back, said it was fuel injectors, has all of then changed. Car cut off, read on internet that it was a manufacturing error. Dealership would not reimburse money and car continues to not crank at times and cuts off, think it is stolen. This is a safety hazard and this car should not be sold without warning future drivers. Nearly cost me my life.

- Bruceton, TN, USA

Feb 112014

Alero

Car cut off while driving, would not start, security light flashing, took to shop cost $800 for new fuel pump, then a month later same deal come to find out it: It's the ignition switch having to due with the security, sometimes the car will not start sometimes it cuts off while driving. They need to recall this its very dangerous not to mention the $800 spent for a fuel pump I guess I didn't need. You can reset it. Works only temp. Leave the key in the on position until the security light goes out then go straight to start, most the time this works. It is very dangerous for the car to shut off at 60 mph on the highway which has happen to us.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 102014

Alero

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero the contact stated that the key could be removed from the ignition while the vehicle was on and in any gear. The failure recurred over a period of two months. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who indicated that the ignition switch would need to be replaced. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) however, the vehicle was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 173,988.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jan 142014

Alero

Car does not start at random times. It can take up to 30 mins for the car to reset its self. Vehicle will cut off while driving and then proceed not to start back up. This is very dangerous and needs to be fixed.

- Temple Hills , MD, USA

Apr 022012

Alero

Attempt to start car and it won't start. Turning the key to the start position and leaving it on for 10 mins. Apparently this allows the computer to reset. Also you can be driving the car and all of a sudden it shuts down total. This is a extreme dangerous and can get some one seriously hurt or killer. We have had the vehicle fixed but it still continues and we can not afford another expense. Vehicles should be recalled.

- Berea, OH, USA

Nov 132013

Alero

The car turns off while I am driving resulting in loss of all electrical and power components. No power brakes or steering. It does this all the time and I've taken it in and they can not find the problem.

- Allen, TX, USA

Aug 052013

Alero 6-cyl

While driving turn signal will work intermittently at times causing me to be on the road/ highway and in traffic without a working turn signal. GM will not cover repair under the special policy even though my vehicle is one of the cars covered under the special policy due to my car being 1 year over the 10 year cap. I was never aware of this defect until now.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Apr 262006

Alero

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without any warning. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the anti-theft system was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Alero 4-cyl

According to investigation PE 05-055, the issue with the hazard switch for 2002 olds Alero's was going to be updated to a recall (recall 03V327000) but it never was. Since it was never updated to a recall, I never received notification and also GM is refusing to honor replacing the part. Please assist is correcting this issue.

- Mount Wolf, PA, USA

Sep 192012

Alero

While driving down highway, vehicle key switch randomly malfunctions, causing the vehicle to shut off resulting in loss of control. On multiple occasions I have almost been in a crash because the car shut off.

- Masontown, PA, USA

Feb 112013

Alero

I love my car but the thing is a death trap. It shut off 15 times within a mile of driving in 5 O'clock traffic. It has almost me my life several times. The dash cluster goes out so I have no idea what speed im going or if the car is running hot. GM if you think this isn't a problem it is please recall the car fix it and I will keep it till I need a bigger car.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Oct 172005

Alero 4-cyl

The car has broke down and wouldn't restart, fuel pump, ECM? modulator fuses. Powering steering leaks all the time and sometimes locks up. Rear defroster won't work. Driver's side controls for windows, locks, stopped working. Drivers side window drops down and breaks-repaired 3 times and just happened again. Belt broke, lost power barely able to get it off the road. Front passenger wheel thumps, pops, etc. Had fixed and still has the same problems. I've maintained routinely, but it continues to keep breaking down. The handle to put in gear/park has broke. A lot of plastic parts, clips etc crumbling apart, knobs, light switches, window tracts. All out of pocket. Recall for windows, rear defrost, power steering, fuel pump, belt breaking, front hubs/wheels/steering !!!!!

- Mcarthur, OH, USA

Jan 032011

Alero

I attempted to start my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero and it won't start. It was as if the fuel was shut-off. I had to have my car towed home. I noticed the security light was flashing. I checked on-line and people suggested, turning the key to the start position and leaving for 10 minutes, apparently this allows the computer to reset. (or you can disconnect the battery and reconnect it, this will also reset the computer.) there is a problem with the passlock system. It's a huge problem for many people. GM does not acknowledge this problem and is unwilling to correct the defect. This defect should be recalled.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Sep 222011

Alero

On many occasions now my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero would be working perfectly one day and then the next time I went to start it would not start. The first time it happened I had my uncle who is a mechanic come and look it over, he told me that my security system is locking the car up and to let it sit with the key turned for 10 minutes and it will start again. This worked but now the problem is happening more and more often. So, I came online to see if any other Oldsmobile Alero owners were experiencing the same problem and I found over 50 reviews on one site alone that this was happening. On top of that many of these car owners were saying that the problem only continues to get worse to the point the car shuts off while driving!!! I have a child, as many of the others owners said they did also, and as a parent that is absolutely terrifying. What if I'm on a highway? others said they spent a lot of money for the problem to be fixed for it to continue to come back or cause more problems. And as if this issue was not dangerous enough, my turn signals also short out and do not blink at times. I do not believe a car could be anymore dangerous. I would like a response and resolution to this issue asap! please!!!

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Feb 012012

Alero 6-cyl

When I put my car into drive and let off the brake the car accelerate by itself. I do not have my foot on the gas and the car will continue to speed up until I hit the brake. While braking the car seems like it is still trying to accelerate. You have to push the brake all the way to the floor and hold it to try and maintain a full stop.if I put the car in neutral the rpms shoot way up. If I brake and stop the car and quickly throw it into park and shut it off and restart the car it usually solves the problem but it is definitely not a fix. There is just over 180,000 miles and I have just recently started to notice the problem it has happened a handful of times and I am trying to find the problem and get it fixed. This is very dangerous. The blinkers also periodically stop working and can be fixed by clicking the hazard lights a few times but again not a permanent fix. The cruise control has gone out and the trac control doesn't turn on. This car is becoming a death trap and expensive and dangerous to drive!

- Wisconsin Dells, WI, USA

Jan 032012

Alero 4-cyl

Security light comes on and the car shuts off while driving. We lost steering and were headed toward oncoming traffic, but ran over a street sign and stopped. Sometimes the light will come on and no problems until after we park and shut the car off. When we try to start it again, sometimes it starts back up fine and other times it turns over, but wont fire. When this happens, we have to turn the key to the on position for 10 minutes. During this 10 minutes the security light flashes. After exactly 10 minutes the light turns solid for 5 seconds and then shuts off. We then take the key out, put it back in and the car starts. My understanding is that the car think it's being stolen and shuts down the fuel system instantly. We lose complete steering when this happens. Whats also happening is the security system is draining the battery while the car is shut off. When we get anywhere we have to take the security fuses out so the battery doesn't drain. This is a severe safety concern. There are post all over the internet with people having the same problem.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Jan 122012

Alero 6-cyl

There is intermittent clicking noise coming from the hazard switch. GM issued a recall on this matter back in 2004. I went to my local GM dealer and he told me my VIN was not covered.

- Shelburne, VT, USA

Nov 282011

Alero 4-cyl

Was driving slowly in heavy traffic. Weather: Approximately 50 degrees and raining. I have the heat and defrost (including rear window) on. I hear a pop from the back and I think someone has just lightly rear-ended me. I look over my shoulder and the rear passenger seat, at approximately the right-hand shoulder is on fire. I pulled-over, turned-off the car, and tried to dowse the flames to no avail. All I could do was watch it burn until the fire department showed-up about 10 minutes later. Fire department agreed likely cause was rear defroster short-circuit. Rear seat and rear window destroyed. Water and smoke damage. Car is likely totaled due to age (11 years) and miles (124K).

- Charlotte, NC, USA