NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2002 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 4 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2002 Oldsmobile Alero electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jun 112002

Alero 4-cyl

I have 2002 olds Alero it won't start. Changed the fuel pump and fuel filter. But my security light keeps flashing so I went online to see what could be the problem. And found many people with the same problem thats causing me which is that the security light keeps flashing and make the whole vehicle not start, think its locked which I don't understand cause it drives fine for few days and then kaput. This should be a recall or something.

- Vancouver, 00, USA

Feb 092009

Alero

My hazard lights / turn signals work intermittently, sometimes they just flash like crazy. Same as 01's but GM says not 02's.

- Chilhowie, VA, USA

May 252011

Alero

Have problem staring my car learned on line that is a security problem. It started 5/25/2011 it happened immediately. Had many of problems with this car, this last issue did it for me. There has been 50 complaints on this security problem I have three kids very difficult to fix all the problems when I barely have money.

- Co, CO, USA

Nov 242010

Alero

The turn signals on my 02 Alero do not always work. They will come on and off on random occasions and nothing could be done to fix it. Also the car security system does not always allow the car to start. When the engine doesn't start I have to stick the key in the ignition for 10 minutes until the security light stops flashing then it will start. I had the try to fix it and the only solution they think might work (but not sure) is to turn off the security system completely.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 282010

Alero

I was stranded at work at night when my car would not start up. Ended up walking 7 miles home in the dark, since my husband works till 1am. I thought it was the fuel pump that had died, but after seeing a website of many people that have had the same issue, I tried leaving the key in the "on" position for 10 minutes to "reset" the computer, and this worked. I just got home with my car, but am praying to god that it does not decide to shut down while I'm driving (there was complaints about this happening as well on the website). I think that GM might be in for a big lawsuit if they do not recall this problem soon, only for the fact that somebody can seriously get injured, and that's if they're lucky enough to not die from an accident.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Sep 142010

Alero

My 2002 Oldsmobile Alero has a problem with the passlock security system which causes it to not start. This has been a recurring problem that comes up without warning. I have spent several hundred dollars having parts replaced before doing an online search and realizing that this is a manufacturer defect with the security system. If the key is placed in the "on" position for ten minutes, the security light eventually turns off and the car will start. Since GM is not willing to do anything about this defect, I would like to place a complaint. In my opinion, this is a safety issue. I work in public service, and I use my vehicle to visit clients on a daily basis. It is not only inconvenient to need to wait ten minutes in my car before it will start, but in many locations, it is very unsafe. At any given time, the car will begin to start, but will never turn over, necessitating the ten minute fix. This has occurred several times in the past year, but I have read that the time between incidents is likely to become shorter and shorter. Since GM refuses to issue a manufacturer recall of its own Accord, I urge you to take action to ensure that drivers remain safe.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 212010

Alero

I have a 2002 olds Alero that has alot of electric problems (or so I assume) the turn signal noise turns on while I'm driving and my signal isn't on. This happens daily and is hard to determine if my flasher is actually on or not. Also my car wont always start. My track control light, service engine & low tire pressure light are pretty much always on I've had everything checked out and nothing comes back as to why those lights turn on & off.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 082010

Alero

I have 2002 Oldsmobile Alero an everyone I know who has one has had same prob. The security light will come on an it will not start mine it came on a wont reset or go off an made my car die in a bad neighbor hood when my wife N baby where on way home a nite and also shut down it the middle road on my wife with our baby in there an she almost got hit by an 18 wheeler. I think GM need to fix this. This need to be a recall.

- Lindale, TX, USA

Nov 122006

Alero

Turn signals do not always work and car does not always start, need to wait 10 minutes for car to start ir reset with key in the on position.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Jan 032010

Alero

Car wont start because of security system malfunction found out lots of other people have this same problem with no recalls yet please help!

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Aug 032007

Alero

My 2002 Oldsmobile Alero turn lights, high lights, horn doesn't work. Work sometimes. I took it several times to the mechanic and he didn't find anything.

- Humble, TX, USA

May 062008

Alero

I purchased a 2002 Alero from the dealership. It had a certified sticker and a warranty on the window. After signing all papers and putting $2,000 down on it, the sales man informed me that there was no warranty due to the age of the veh. About a month later, I began having issues with it. 9-5-07 the brakes were squeaking and making loud noises. I had the dealership repair it under warranty. On 9-10-07, the front wheels began to shake and heard a loud noise as if the wheels were going to fall off. This happened by the dealership as I was going to work. I dropped it off and it was repaired. They said it was their fault due to a few nuts or bolts fell off. 5-6-08 is when the car completely left me stranded. Turn the key, all lights come on and seat belt alert came on. It sounded like it wanted to start but it wouldn't. I had it towed to the dealership. It cost me $588 to repair it. They said it was the pass lock sensor. 9-3-08 my car left me stranded again. It had the same issue as the first time. It sounded like it wanted to start but it wouldn't. had it towed to the dealership again. They quoted me $350 for repair it. They said it was the anti-theft mechanism in the ignition switch. After speaking to the manager, I paid a $50 deductible and the veh was supposed to be repaired. On about 5-9-09 the veh left me stranded again. It displayed the same problems as the prior 2 incidences. I had the veh towed back to the dealership and this time they said after the diagnostic, it was the BCM and would be approx $480 to repair it. A few days later, I had a friend to help me tow it to my home. I turned the key and it started up fine. I called the dealership and I was told it is the BCM and if the veh sits long enough, it may reset and start up. He also said it may leave me stranded again. I have been driving the veh locally and on 11-27-09, the veh will not start.

- Seaford, DE, USA

Oct 262009

Alero

Hazard and turn signals intermittently fail; same as the 2001...there was a recall for this issued on the 2001, but not the 2002? I lose my turn signals approximately 2-3 times per 10 mile trip. I have not been involved in an accident due to this malfunction...yet. No repairs seem to fix the problem. The incident date is the last time this problem occurred (I haven't driven the car for a few days), but it has actually been going on for over 2 years. Apparently this is a common problem with the Alero's reguardless of the model year. The vehicle also won't start when it rains, and shuts down while driving. The trunk opens by itself, and the door locks don't always work. Sometimes the stereo won't turn on, and most recently the driver's door window won't open. I replaced the wheel house assembly 3 times in two years. This car is an electrical nightmare! frequently it won't start because it thinks I'm trying to steal it. I also put air in all my tires at least once a week because they won't hold air...apparently there is a problem with the wheels. I have to manually check the tires because the warning light for low tire pressure is also an electrical malfunction.

- Lewistown, PA, USA

Jun 012007

Alero

Blinker is very intermittent and dangerous. Sometimes it works, other times nothing. When it is not working the hazard or blinker sound seems to be going off and on constantly. The repair shop said that they would have to tear apart the whole dash just to troubleshoot the problem. This is a very scary problem and can potentially lead to tickets or accidents if not fixed.

- Oronoco, MN, USA

May 032009

Alero

My 2002 Oldsmobile Alero has a start malfunction which causes the security system to shut the car off while driving. I have replaced the ignition switch and fuel pump on my car, which were told to me were the problem, and the car still will not start at times, and whenever it does start, the car cuts off while driving. This puts me and my children in danger of getting hit by another car because the car stops abruptly.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

May 152006

Alero

I bought my 2002 olds Alero in may of 2006 and have had problems ever since. I had to have the front left wheel bearing replaced 2 days after I bought the car. The dealership paid for the parts and labor that time, but I was on my own from there. Frequently I was having the problem of the engine turning over, but not starting. I had to call a tow truck 6 times in 2 months. The fuel pump was replaced and a week later I had the same problem. This time it the body module was replaced. 2 days later I was calling the tow truck again. The ignition switch was replaced this time. The next time I threatened to sue the mechanic who had worked on my car. This time the car started right up for the mechanic. He contacted GM to see what the problem could possibly be and of course they had never heard of this problem. After the car was towed to the shop a few more times the mechanic finally got a hold of another mechanic who specialized in GM repairs. That mechanic told him about the faulty security system. He passed on the info to me. If the car won't start, turn the key on for 10 min. Until the security light stops flashing, turn the key off, take it out of the ignition and try it again. This has worked every time for me, but really, who has the extra 10-15 minutes to spare every time they need to go somewhere, just in case their car won't start? I also have problems with the turning signals working only when they want to. This seems to be a common problem among Alero owners. After the nightmares I've had with this car and the disrespect shown by GM to their "valued customers", I will never buy another GM model as long as I live! buyer beware!!!

- Daggett, MI, USA

Feb 152008

Alero

A.. the rear window defroster quit working. Replaced fuses, relay but still did not work. Having done some internet research found out that a rear connector will melt. Looked at the rear connector and it had melted. Dealer charges $ 45 for a new connector so I hot wired it to the module. If they melt they should have been recalled. B. the security light will come on and within a few days the car will be locked down. If you sit for 10 minutes with the ignition on but not started the security will reset. Luckily for me, this has not caused me any $, but I am sure others have had to pay for towing. One should be able to disconnect this option.

- Thunder Bay, 00, USA

Dec 282008

Alero

Since 2006, on six different occasions the security light flashes and two to three days later the system locks down and the car does not start. I am stranded and have to have my car towed. Each occurrence has cost me anywhere from $600-$800. Towing fees, taxis to and from work, and use of other individuals' cars are additional expenses. I only take the car to the dealer for the repairs. Each time they tell me a different feature on the anti-theft system has failed and needs to be replaced. I have asked the dealer repeatedly to dismantle the anti-theft device and they say they cannot. Who is going to steal a 2002 Alero? I am a single mother with two children in two different colleges. This Alero is our only car. To date I have spent $3000 on this "sophisticated" anti-theft system. Help me please. I cannot afford to purchase another car.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Nov 112008

Alero

Two years ago, my security light came on in my car and my car wouldn't start. Took it to the GM dealer and they said it was the computer module on my security system that needed to be replaced which cost more than $700. Last Friday, 11/14/2008, my car wouldn't start again and the security light came on again. I took it to the same GM dealer again and now they are saying the BCM (body control module) needs to be replaced? and now, again, this will cost another $700 to fix, if that is all that is wrong with my car. I have been stranded before when the computer module went out. I was lucky this time since I had my car at home when this BCM went out. The BCM only has a year warranty.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Nov 092008

Alero

My passlock theft deterrent system on my 2002 Alero has been defective since the first year I had it. I have to wait ten minutes with key in on position before it will start. This is a big concern for me, and as I observed online, for many others. I had it towed and looked at several times but they could never figure out what it was and until I get a 100% accurate diagnosis on something, I don't pay out money for assumptions. I found out on my own and by reading the owners manual, what the exact problem was. I realize I must die or be seriously injured for any thing to be done. Sad to say that is how things work in this dwindling economy. I have the fear that stalkers I have had in the past may catch up with me at a time when my car won't start. Should I tell them "hey wait ten minutes before you can attack me then I can get away." Please prove me wrong and do something about it. It needs to be recalled. If you would like you can google to see the many other complaints.

- Anderson, IN, USA