NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2002 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 5 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2002 Oldsmobile Alero electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

May 012003

Alero

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact has been experiencing failures with her vehicle ever since it was purchased. The speedometer displayed inaccurate readings and the braking system was locked twice due to a defective wheel bearing. The ignition switch was replaced twice and recently failed again. She is unable to remove the key from the ignition because it locked in place. The contact will take the vehicle in for repair. The failure mileage was 24,500 and current mileage was 92,273.

- Lansing , IL, USA

May 012003

Alero

I have had my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero since 2002. Within six months of having this car the ignition switch went bad and was unable to start the car and it had to be repaired. This was repaired by the dealer that I purchased it from because the company that was in charge of my extended warranty went bankrupt. Since then I have had to pay to replace a gasket in the engine that keeps engine coolant and engine oil from mixing together because the gasket that was manufactured with the car was not the right thickness. (since this is a known defect by mechanics why wasn't this recalled or a service bulletin initiated?) I continue to have problems with the driver door control panel that controls the windows and the side mirrors and window locks. The windows in my car can only be controlled by the driver because the window lock is stuck in the "on" position. I have also had problems with the windows falling down into the door and have had one window replaced in December 2007 but now in September 2008 the passenger window is experiencing the same symptoms and now will have to replace this window as well. Right now the most annoying thing about this car is the turn signals. They function as they should but the clicking noise for the turn signal will not turn off when I have made a turn (it actually makes a clicking noise about 3 times as fast as the regular turn click). I have had this looked at by a mechanic and I was told that this was not part of the hazard light recall which my car falls under so it was not fixed. It is a very distracting problem and the only time I can get relief from the clicking noise is when I actually get ready to make a turn by turning on the actual turn signal. There are a number of problems that numerous owners are experiencing. I am hoping that some thing is done about the windows and the engine gasket. I don't think consumers should be responsible for poor engineering and design. GM should make things right.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Jul 182008

Alero

Security system malfunction - car will not start and security system light is blinking for no reason. Must wait about 10 minutes and the system resets it self. Hundreds of people are having the same problem.

- Springdale, AR, USA

Apr 162007

Alero

Oldsmobiles have electrical problems and I am having more electrical problems with this car. This was the start of my problems last year first it was the passlock system that cost me $775 to fix. I went to the mall for lunch and came back and the car would mot start. Had to have the car towed to the dealership to find out that sensors were not covered under warranty. The problems continue and come more frequently this was 3-12-2008 the second problem cost me $589 the module and poil pavk assembly, I was parked in at school and barely made it home, the car was going all of 10-15 miles an hour and would not accelerate, by the grace of god I made it home only live about 10 miles from school. When I got up the next day the car would not start at all. Had to have the car towed to the mechanic. This started May 1, 2008 that leads us to problem three which is going on right now the turning and hazard lights work sometimes and the car makes a ticking sound like the turn signal is on when its not and them it sounds like its short circuiting.. ( was told that this is covered by GM, will contact them to see if this is true) now here we are at problem this stated 5-18-2008 four in a matter of weeks: The trac off light, service engine soon and another light is on the dash ( I will follow up with which light that is) all of my problems with this car has been electrical and I was told by someone at the auto advantage that these cars are notifies for this. There really should be something done in regard to this. I have searched the internet and it is full of the same issues. There is not way that all of these people located in all states everywhere are having the same problems and this is not a defect that should be repaired by GM and not the consumer.

- Columnia, MD, USA

Jul 012005

Alero 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that she was unable to restart the vehicle after it was parked. The dealer stated that the ignition and the fuel pump caused the failure and they made the replacement. Approximately a year and a half later, the failure recurred. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle would shut off without warning. The dealer stated that there was a malfunction with the security system and was unable to duplicate the failure. However, the dealer replaced the electrical harness. The contact also stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle jerked and then shut off. The dealer stated that the timing chain failed and made the repair. The failure mileage was 22,000 and current mileage was 58,000.

- Dale City, VA, USA

Oct 202006

Alero 6-cyl

Intermittent turn signals dash and tail lights go out when auto lights try to turn on.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Jul 142005

Alero

Blinkers fail especially during humid weather. It began during the summer. Blinkers sometimes work, but then will fail. The problem has not been corrected yet. There is a recall out for the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero, but not for the 2002 even though it is the same problem.

- East Granby, CT, USA

Apr 282004

Alero 4-cyl

There are several defects with this vehicle. The first started in 2004. The windshield wipers do not work, will not shut off, or start again while in the off position and stop in the middle of the windshield. This creates a hazard while driving, especially at high speeds on the highway - startles you, then blocks vision. Next, the security feature is malfunctioning. Sometimes the vehicle will not start, security light flashes and problem is fixed with leaving the car in the on position for 10 to 20 minutes (resets the security). This drains the battery and is a major inconvenience. Also, the turn signals have now begun to work only intermittently. This is dangerous obviously. The window controls sometimes don't work, the side-mirror controls also do not work sometimes. The heat/ac controls do not work properly - most of the positions do not blow. You can hear the muffled sound of the air when on high, but air does not come out of the vents. These are the combination settings, the individual settings work, so it cannot be clogged vents. Lastly, the rear defrost recently stopped working and, when turned on, emits a burning smell. This car is an accident waiting to happen and driven daily out of necessity.

- Whitmore Lake, MI, USA

Jul 062005

Alero 4-cyl

The contact complained about a turn signal problem. The turn signal did not work when turning it on. When applying the hazard light switch the turn signal came on. Then, it failed intermittently. There was a recall 03V327000 on other year models, but this model was not included. Dealer said they will not offer help, it should be fixed at contact's expense. Manufacturer has not been contacted yet. Updated 11/16/2005 - the problem is frequent but not constant. The turn signals do not work. When the hazard button is partially pressed the signal starts working. The vehicle has had other electrical problem in the dashboard area but doesn't seem to be related to the turn signal problem. The consumer does not understand why the 2001 models have been recalled but the 2000 has not even though they have the same problem.

- Willard, UT, USA

May 262005

Alero 4-cyl

On May 26th, 2005 I started my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero and turned on my rear defroster. After about 3 minutes of driving down the road there was an "explosion" in the rear of my car. The rear defroster heating mechanism that hooks up to the rear window exploded and caught fire to the entire rear of my car. The vehicle was not able to be repaired due to the cost, my insurance company totaled my car. My car has never been in an accident and no major work has ever been performed. GM will not get involved due to the fact that luckily no one was injured.

- Garrettsville, OH, USA

Mar 142005

Alero 6-cyl

My turn singals do not work properly. The singnals work only part of the time. When the turn signials do not operate the hazord lights dont work as well. I found out it will cost aprox. $200 to fix the problem. They will need to replace the turn signal switch that cost $130 and $70 for labor. This is a hazord that I will need to have fixed. There are some dangerous intersections where I live. It is also againts the law not to singal which way you are turning. The problem started in March. It had taken it in several times but they could not find the problem until it was more freqqent and they could reproduce it. I finally found out on May 19, 2005 it is the switch.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jan 012005

Alero

Out of the blue the turn signals stop working. Almost causing an accident. Took my car to the dealership they gave it back to me, and said that they found nothing wrong with it. Until this day I still have this problem, is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

- Medford, OR, USA

Aug 052004

Alero 4WD 6-cyl

I have been having this problem for the past 7 months. I have changed out the battery, that didn't solve the problem. I have taken it countless time to the dealership, and they couldn't find out the problem. I have called the plant where the car came from and they referred me to a car service that specializes in Oldsmobile. They thought it was the fuel pump, and they fixed it. They also said that it could be something electrical, however they won't know until the car tears all the way up. This is what is wrong with my car. It sounds like it wants to start, however, it takes three tries before the car finally starts. Sometimes, it sounds like the car will not even start. I have also had occassions where the car has cut off as I am pulling off from a stop sign or pulling out of a parking spot. The car is only 2 years old and only have 49,900 miles on it. It no one knows what is wrong with the car or the severity of it, how do I know whether the car will breakdown to a point where it will cause a fatal accident. I believe the car needs to be recalled.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Oct 152003

Alero 4-cyl

I made a long vacation trip in Oct. Of 2002 at which time my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero turned over 36,000 miles. By the time I arrived home, it had turned 37,000. I didn't drive the car for a few days upon my return. When I opened the door to drive it next, I saw that the dash and three of the door pads had come unglued and buckled really badly. I took it back to dan cummins in paris, ky as soon as I discovered that the interior was falling apart. The service manager refused to even look at the car since it had gone over the 36,000 mile warranty during my vacation before I returned home. He suggested I call GM and complain to them about it. I did call them and they took my complaint. They gave me an complaint number, but have since refused to answer their phone when I call, or to call me back after I leave them a voice mail on their machine. I have created a website at www.Alero.info in order for interested persons to be able to view the pictures of the poor factory workmanship and materials used to build my 2002 Alero. The pictures say it all as to what my complaint is about with the dash and door pads coming unglued and buckling. At 37,500 miles while it is still only two years old, it has developed an electrical problem that could potentially dangerous as something is causing the fuse to the tail and interior lights to blow while driving it at night.

- N Middletown, KY, USA