2002 Oldsmobile Alero lights NHTSA complaints: Exterior Lighting

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

3.7

2002 Oldsmobile Alero lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

May 152006

Alero

I bought my 2002 olds Alero in may of 2006 and have had problems ever since. I had to have the front left wheel bearing replaced 2 days after I bought the car. The dealership paid for the parts and labor that time, but I was on my own from there. Frequently I was having the problem of the engine turning over, but not starting. I had to call a tow truck 6 times in 2 months. The fuel pump was replaced and a week later I had the same problem. This time it the body module was replaced. 2 days later I was calling the tow truck again. The ignition switch was replaced this time. The next time I threatened to sue the mechanic who had worked on my car. This time the car started right up for the mechanic. He contacted GM to see what the problem could possibly be and of course they had never heard of this problem. After the car was towed to the shop a few more times the mechanic finally got a hold of another mechanic who specialized in GM repairs. That mechanic told him about the faulty security system. He passed on the info to me. If the car won't start, turn the key on for 10 min. Until the security light stops flashing, turn the key off, take it out of the ignition and try it again. This has worked every time for me, but really, who has the extra 10-15 minutes to spare every time they need to go somewhere, just in case their car won't start? I also have problems with the turning signals working only when they want to. This seems to be a common problem among Alero owners. After the nightmares I've had with this car and the disrespect shown by GM to their "valued customers", I will never buy another GM model as long as I live! buyer beware!!!

- Daggett, MI, USA

Aug 032008

Alero

There was no accident, but there might be due to the fact that my wife's 2002 Oldsmobile Alero hazard switch is faulty causing intermittent turning signal failure, the same problem with previous models of the Alero. I called Oldsmobile and they will not replace the hazard switch under recall which apparently they told me my VIN isn't included, even though it's the same exact issue and problem. I thought I would notify you of the problem that seems was not corrected when the recalls were issued for previous years. The recall should cover any Alero that experiences this issue, not just certain VIN numbers.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

May 102008

Alero 6-cyl

2002 Oldsmobile Alero, turn signals are not working properly, sometimes they just quit working. Is there a recall for this problem as I see there many complaints with the flasher unit or hazard component. When I called the dealer I was told I could bring in the car and it would cost me $100 to see what the problem is plus be charged to fix the problem or I could take it somewhere else. There is a defective part that needs to be replaced as this is a safety issue and the consumer should not be charged to have the problem corrected.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 042005

Alero 4-cyl

Turn signals / hazard lights fail to work on occasion. Problem started occurring this summer about 2-3 weeks after having some brake work performed. Problem is thought by me to be a separate issue with a failure of a solenoid. There have been no consequences as a result of the failure. I am able to get the light working again, by either repeated quick pushes of the hazard lights or a quick pound just left of the hazard switch. I am planning on bringing this issue up at the next scheduled oil change in a couple of weeks unless the lights fail altogether.

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Sep 012004

Alero 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The hazard and turn signal flashers work intermittently and sometimes are inoperative. The contact saw other complaints on the NHTSA website for this problem. The consumer contacted GM and they said they were unwilling to help with the repair because this vehicle was not included in NHTSA recall 03V327000 due to VIN. The contact has been having this problem with lights for twelve months. The contact moved from a warm weather climate to a four season climate, and that was when he began to have this problem. It went away up until the weather began to change.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Mar 262004

Alero

Consumer took vehicle to dealer for regular maintenance and dealer determined that vehicle needed the following replacements: A new ignition lock cylinder, intake manifold, multi function switch, and an engine oil flush. Consumer stated that when she put key in the ignition it would not turn, but did not know that vehicle would need a new switch. Also, there was ticking noise when she tried to start the vehicle.

- Merrillville, IN, USA