2002 Oldsmobile Alero lights NHTSA complaints: Exterior Lighting

NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2002 Oldsmobile Alero (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2.3

2002 Oldsmobile Alero lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012014

Alero

Turn signal and hazard lights failure. It started with the turn signals, they would work sometimes and then eventually cut out completely. Hazards worked for a short time after turn signals went out, then both cut out completely. Flasher was replaced and fuses were tested and were not the problem.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Dec 092014

Alero

Just a couple of days after the purchase of the vehicle the brakes were making a bad scrubbing noise, and I had no turn signal at all I noticed a clicking sound coming from the hazard warning light.during the clicking sound the turn signal would work at times and I would smell something like a burning smell. While the car was park and no one around it the lights would come on inside and out by their self and this causes my battery to go dead and I have to boost it off. I have contacted the car dealer that I purchased it from and they were very rude and hateful and told me it was my problem and that there is nothing they can do about it. That they sold it to me at a good deal and they could not help me.

- Riceville, TN, USA

Jul 152014

Alero 6-cyl

The turn signals and hazard lights will periodically fail, likely from a ground-out issue with the flasher relay. I have to struggle with the plastic cover part around the hazard switch and relay to rectify this problem. It would appear that vibration and bumps cause this problem to occur. There are times when driving down the freeway that I need to change lanes and my turn signals stop working and it makes me hesitant to change lanes. In addition, it makes me worry about making turns in the city. I could be issued a ticket over a problem that occurs randomly and would not be resolved by replacing the part.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Aug 052013

Alero 6-cyl

While driving turn signal will work intermittently at times causing me to be on the road/ highway and in traffic without a working turn signal. GM will not cover repair under the special policy even though my vehicle is one of the cars covered under the special policy due to my car being 1 year over the 10 year cap. I was never aware of this defect until now.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Jul 012013

Alero 4-cyl

According to investigation PE 05-055, the issue with the hazard switch for 2002 olds Alero's was going to be updated to a recall (recall 03V327000) but it never was. Since it was never updated to a recall, I never received notification and also GM is refusing to honor replacing the part. Please assist is correcting this issue.

- Mount Wolf, PA, USA

Feb 162012

Alero 4-cyl

The turn signal wont stop ticking noise even if the turn signal was off and it cause smoke around the steering wheel.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Sep 062006

Alero

The contact owns a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. The contact stated that the hazard lights and the turn signals would fail sporadically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Midlothian, IL, USA

Jan 122012

Alero 6-cyl

There is intermittent clicking noise coming from the hazard switch. GM issued a recall on this matter back in 2004. I went to my local GM dealer and he told me my VIN was not covered.

- Shelburne, VT, USA

Feb 092009

Alero

My hazard lights / turn signals work intermittently, sometimes they just flash like crazy. Same as 01's but GM says not 02's.

- Chilhowie, VA, USA

Jun 292011

Alero 6-cyl

I just purchased a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero and everything worked fine I got it home and the blinkers started to only work sometimes I haven't even got to drive it because I'm afraid to get pulled over. I immediately got online and found that it could be the hazard switch which appears to have been recalled if I'm correct. It appears that because I'm over 150,000 miles I'm not covered but the problem didn't occur before that limit. I spoke the previous owner and they said it had just recently and was not like this when she purchased it at just over 150,000 miles and to just push the hazard light button a few times and it kicks in but that is not a permanent fix and if there was a recall and the problem doesn't occur until after the allotted miles I don't see what good it is.

- Wi Dells, WI, USA

Nov 242010

Alero

The turn signals on my 02 Alero do not always work. They will come on and off on random occasions and nothing could be done to fix it. Also the car security system does not always allow the car to start. When the engine doesn't start I have to stick the key in the ignition for 10 minutes until the security light stops flashing then it will start. I had the try to fix it and the only solution they think might work (but not sure) is to turn off the security system completely.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 032010

Alero

My signal lights on my 2002 olds Alero or dysfucntional!! sometimes they work sometimes they don't and I really fear for my safety, when my signal lights or not working. I was almost rear ended several time do to faulty signal lights.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Dec 142009

Alero

Signal lights and hazard lights do not work all the time on my 2002 Alero. My daughter drives this car regularly and I am afraid that this issue will cause her to be in an accident. We cannot seem to get anyone to correct this issue.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 182009

Alero

My turn signals and hazards don't work at times. They go out randomly while I'm driving and it is very dangerous. I tried to turn the hazards on to get them to work but the hazards out most of the time also. It has been happening at least 3-4 times a week and makes me nervous to drive for fear of an accident or ticket. I have contacted GM dealers and they said there is no recall for the 2002 model but I have read there are recalls for the 2000 and 2001 models. I have heard of numerous complaints for the 2002 models and would hope something will be done about it.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 012002

Alero

2002 Oldsmobile Alero the turn signals and hazard lights work sometimes and sometimes they don't this is a real problem and I have almost been hit several times is there a recall on this.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

Oct 262009

Alero

Hazard and turn signals intermittently fail; same as the 2001...there was a recall for this issued on the 2001, but not the 2002? I lose my turn signals approximately 2-3 times per 10 mile trip. I have not been involved in an accident due to this malfunction...yet. No repairs seem to fix the problem. The incident date is the last time this problem occurred (I haven't driven the car for a few days), but it has actually been going on for over 2 years. Apparently this is a common problem with the Alero's reguardless of the model year. The vehicle also won't start when it rains, and shuts down while driving. The trunk opens by itself, and the door locks don't always work. Sometimes the stereo won't turn on, and most recently the driver's door window won't open. I replaced the wheel house assembly 3 times in two years. This car is an electrical nightmare! frequently it won't start because it thinks I'm trying to steal it. I also put air in all my tires at least once a week because they won't hold air...apparently there is a problem with the wheels. I have to manually check the tires because the warning light for low tire pressure is also an electrical malfunction.

- Lewistown, PA, USA

Apr 102009

Alero

I have a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero that was not included in the hazard switch recall notice (applies to 1999 and 2001 vehicles and other GM cars) since spring of 2009 my car has been exhibiting the same problems as discussed in the recall. It has been getting worse since then. I feel that some of the bad switches made it into other years or the car was still built with 2001 parts. I purchased it from an olds dealer in summer of 2002. It was a GM program used car on the road since January 2002.

- Elmhurst, NY, USA

Jun 012007

Alero

Blinker is very intermittent and dangerous. Sometimes it works, other times nothing. When it is not working the hazard or blinker sound seems to be going off and on constantly. The repair shop said that they would have to tear apart the whole dash just to troubleshoot the problem. This is a very scary problem and can potentially lead to tickets or accidents if not fixed.

- Oronoco, MN, USA

Nov 012007

Alero

Turn signals and flashers don't work. Sometimes they work fine, other times do not. Happens more and more. Security light flashes, when flashing car will not start.

- Beloit, WI, USA

May 152006

Alero

I bought my 2002 olds Alero in may of 2006 and have had problems ever since. I had to have the front left wheel bearing replaced 2 days after I bought the car. The dealership paid for the parts and labor that time, but I was on my own from there. Frequently I was having the problem of the engine turning over, but not starting. I had to call a tow truck 6 times in 2 months. The fuel pump was replaced and a week later I had the same problem. This time it the body module was replaced. 2 days later I was calling the tow truck again. The ignition switch was replaced this time. The next time I threatened to sue the mechanic who had worked on my car. This time the car started right up for the mechanic. He contacted GM to see what the problem could possibly be and of course they had never heard of this problem. After the car was towed to the shop a few more times the mechanic finally got a hold of another mechanic who specialized in GM repairs. That mechanic told him about the faulty security system. He passed on the info to me. If the car won't start, turn the key on for 10 min. Until the security light stops flashing, turn the key off, take it out of the ignition and try it again. This has worked every time for me, but really, who has the extra 10-15 minutes to spare every time they need to go somewhere, just in case their car won't start? I also have problems with the turning signals working only when they want to. This seems to be a common problem among Alero owners. After the nightmares I've had with this car and the disrespect shown by GM to their "valued customers", I will never buy another GM model as long as I live! buyer beware!!!

- Daggett, MI, USA