NHTSA — Other Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt

2002 Oldsmobile Alero miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Oct 172006

Alero 6-cyl

The dash had begun pulling away and coming unglued about a year ago. I found that this is a problem with this model year. When I spoke with the dealer they said it was not part of a recall. I have the extended warranty called major guard that they said is not covered. It has continued to rumple and bubble up. I am the only owner. It is a defect that no one wants to address. Especially, since my extended warranty will be up with in a year.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Dec 272006

The dash had begun pulling away and coming unglued about 2 years ago. I found that this is a problem with this model year. When I spoke with the dealer they said it was not part of a recall. But they would split the cost with me -my end would be $650. I could not afford it and it has continued to rumple and bubble up. I am the only owner. It is a defect that no one wants to address. Especially, since my warranty will be up with in a month or two. I just got tired of fighting with the dealer to do something. I have given up and will not be purchasing a GM car again. Thanks for nothing -my loyalty is going somewhere else.

- Parma, OH, USA

Jul 222005

Alero 6-cyl

Friday, 7/15/05, I took my 2002 olds Alero to jeff schmidt in fairborn, oh for service of the passenger side power window not working. While at the dealership, I was informed that my intake manifold was leaking and must be replaced. This was covered under warranty as well as the window. Immediately after leaving the lot, the car smelled like something was burning. I park in the garage at home and did not notice any spills on the floor and assumed it was just overflow where the service tech did the repairs. Thursday, 7/21/05, I parked the car in the garage and the smell was really bad. I popped the hood and found a puddle of coolant inside the car down on the frame (I think that's what it is called). I also noticed inside the car the dash at the windshield was ruffled/wrinkled. I thought maybe I had had a fire or something really got hot. I took the car to the same dealership this morning and learned that I had two broken hoses at the intake manifold where the hoses were reattached after the initial repair. I had to pay to have these repaired because it was not covered under warranty. Funny I didn't have any problems with this until they told me I had a problem last week. I was also told that my warranty, I have 6 yrs. 60,000 miles, did not cover the dash. It was considered cosmetic. Well, needless to say, I can't believe this. I've worked for GM/delphi for 28 years, have had 7 vehicles in this time period, new ones, and have never had a dash to come apart. Also, I've never heard of a intake manifold going bad on a car with only 38,000 miles. GM should be responsible for fixing the dash where the leather has come apart from the frame.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 072005

Alero 6-cyl

I started having problems in Feb. Of this year(2005). The car would not start. Towed it to a dealer and they replaced the ignition cylinder. 3 days later was having the same problem. Took it back to the dealer and they then replaced the housing. Begining of June had the same problem occure agian. Towed it back to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it. Of course it started at the dealer. 2 weeks later and it still will not start agian. The security light was comming on before it stoped running. This is a problem that many people are having and it needs to be fixed. If you go to and go under Alero, you will find lots of complaints.

- Hedgesville, WV, USA

Jun 102005

Alero 6-cyl

I have a 2002 olds Alero gls. The 2001 olds Alero has this recall: Hazard warning switches that may experience solder joint cracking caused by rapid temperature transitions and the soldering process. If solder joint cracking occurs and results in an open circuit, the turn signals/hazard lamps become intermittent or inoperative. My car has the exact same problem but is not included in the recall. GM was the wost help ever. They hung up on me. In the past two weeks they have quit working more times than I can reamber. I have also have a problem with my gage cluster. About 2-3 times a month it dosent opperate. No check engine lights ect or spedo RPM ect work there just "dead" until U restart the car. The olds Bravada has a recall for it. What I dont understan is how an 01 Alero have recalls and a 03 have recalls but not an 02. I was on the interstate when my turn signals quit. I dont know how long they were out before I they werent working. I did have a frind of mine look at the car who is a certified GM tech and said it was a losse wire up in the dash.

- Billings, MT, USA