NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2.6

2002 Oldsmobile Alero miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero:

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

Mar 142016

Alero

"electrical system recall" my car is not registered with the recall but I am having the same issues with my cars starter as my brother did with his 2002 Malibu that has this recall and he got his fixed and it fixed the problem. My car does not start half the time when I try to start it.

- Glen Aubrey, NY, USA

Sep 242015

Alero

I have a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero which throughout the years has not started when you put the key in the ignition and turn. Numerous times I've had my car towed to a mechanic only to have it start once it gets dropped off... hence they were never able to diagnose the issue. On September 24, 2015 again my car just didn't start. Lights, blinkers, horn all worked but it would not turn on. Finally had a mechanic come to my house and do a diagnostic which read security system lockdown. I went online and this apparently is an ongoing issue with this particular make and model. Hundreds of complaint are listed with the exact problem. Oldsmobile refuses to do a recall. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. To fix this issue my mechanic wants $650. I feel because this has been an issue that has been reported repeatedly with thousands of complaints Oldsmobile should be responsible to reimburse me.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Jan 022011

Alero

Car would not start. Security light flashing. Car towed mechanic stated a security defect

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Aug 152003

Alero

Problem malfunction indicator lamp: Service engine soon light came on Wednesday 8/20/03 just on the right side. I was returning home after driving approximate 30 miles when this light came on. Call the dealer from which I brought this program car.call:bacon autoplex in palestine Texas. Purchased 7/14/03 with 14, 016 miles. Called them about 3pm on 8/20/03. I filled up with gas ( which gauge indicated 1/2/ full) prior to the 30 miles then light came on. I was told that it wouldn't hurt to drive the car since no one was there(bacon) to test for the cause on 8/20/03. Told(bacon ) that I was going to drive over 140 on 8/21/03. Said that it would not hurt. The light went off 8/21/03 1/2 miles from my home. 8/22/03 about 11 am the light came on once again 15699 miles. Call bacon 8/22/03 regarding the problem once again. They said that I could bring it over for testing which I did. Found a code 440" what ever that was. Bacon said it could be several things. Did not make any attempt to further test. I did talk to the manager of bacon, still no attempt to test it further. Manage did ask if I wanted another car. Why would I want another olds Alero " iwas more then up set: I do not feel safe with this car. Fail to do the testing for exact cause. Appointment made but I don't think that it will be done at this time since for now they have not found the cause. The light comes on with fuel is 1/2/ full both times.

- Buffalo, TX, USA

Oct 152003

Alero 4-cyl

I made a long vacation trip in Oct. Of 2002 at which time my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero turned over 36,000 miles. By the time I arrived home, it had turned 37,000. I didn't drive the car for a few days upon my return. When I opened the door to drive it next, I saw that the dash and three of the door pads had come unglued and buckled really badly. I took it back to dan cummins in paris, ky as soon as I discovered that the interior was falling apart. The service manager refused to even look at the car since it had gone over the 36,000 mile warranty during my vacation before I returned home. He suggested I call GM and complain to them about it. I did call them and they took my complaint. They gave me an complaint number, but have since refused to answer their phone when I call, or to call me back after I leave them a voice mail on their machine. I have created a website at www.Alero.info in order for interested persons to be able to view the pictures of the poor factory workmanship and materials used to build my 2002 Alero. The pictures say it all as to what my complaint is about with the dash and door pads coming unglued and buckling. At 37,500 miles while it is still only two years old, it has developed an electrical problem that could potentially dangerous as something is causing the fuse to the tail and interior lights to blow while driving it at night.

- N Middletown, KY, USA

Jan 012002

Alero

I am seeing a lot of people with complaints about Alero, and I have set up a website to hopefully get all of them together and do something, as I am also having problems with my 2002 olds Alero. The website is accesswave.ca/~alero02.

- Miami, FL, USA