Horn Stopped Working Seal Of This Might Hurt

1. must replace airbag module (1 reports)
2003 Oldsmobile Alero accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Oldsmobile Alero:

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Owner Comments

May 152010

Horn stopped working. I checked fuses, they were fine, replaced anyway. I took it back to the dealership, I bought vehicle used. $95.00 later I am informed that to fix horn I must replace driver airbag module. Horn connection sits on top of airbag module, connection cannot be fixed. To replace airbag module it would cost approximately $1100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the frick ??????!!! Bad design problem !!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently other vehicles have the same design. I bet those vehicles are GM vehicles too !!!! In my opinion a horn is a somewhat necessary safety feature. When driving there are times you need a horn, i.e. children or people in roadway !! Good thing to have if some other vehicle is not paying attention and swerves toward you. I took vehicle to other auto repair shops to see about bypassing airbag module and perhaps place horn switch elsewhere. Again, consensus was either cost prohibitive or can't be done.

So I have a vehicle that I can't sell, I wouldn't buy a car without a horn. nobody in their right mind would want to fork over big bucks to fix the horn. I can't believe how stupid this design is. what do these engineers use for brains???!!! So I have to drive a vehicle without a horn because I cannot afford to pay $1100 to fix it... which leads me to my biggest fear.......if i need it, will the airbag work??? The connection on top of airbag module for horn is no good, what other connections in and around airbag are not good ?????

Pisses me off no end. To some this is minor I realize, certainly doesn't come close to human loss because of ignition problems on other vehicles, yet here I am with a recall on my ignition................... What the f..k????

- , East Helena, MT, USA