Fails To Start Intermittently

8.0

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada:

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada Owner Comments

Jan 262010

Bravada 4.2L 6 cyl

An old problem has returned. Began having problems with random failure to start maybe 18 months ago. Battery system fine; starter motor fine; starter relay fine...the starter circuit just occasionally refused to pickup when the ignition switch was turned to the START position. After getting stranded for an hour on night In May '09, I finally took this to the local GM dealer who replaced the ignition switch for $464.

You see, I'm an electrical engineer in power engineering, licensed as a PE in several states, and a member of the SAE, so I put some serious effort in diagnosing this problems before hauling it to Mr. Goodwrench. A vexing problem to say the least and I've been skeptical that the ignition switch was the culprit.

Anyhow, the dealer seemed to have it fixed for a while, but problem has returned this month, stranding me again on Jan 26, 2010. After reading through AutoBeef, I conclude this problem sounds a helluva lot like the complaints I've read here on the '02-'04 Chevy Impalas with bad passlock sensors. My Bravada is from the same era of manufacturing at GM, so I have to be a bit suspicious of the same thing here.

Don't see any complaints from others about electrical problems with Bravadas here, but maybe that's because they sold in low numbers relative to the Chevy brand. I've had numerous electrical problems with this one since new and maybe worthy of some more posts.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions on the next step?

- , Pinetown, NC, USA