NHTSA — Engine And Engine Cooling Problems

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass:

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass Owner Comments

Feb 282005

I currently have the following problems with my 1998 olds Cutlass gl. My power steering is stiff and makes a "wailing" noise. My coolent system has a leak. My heat and air have completey stopped working. I have had problems (in the past that have been repaired_ with my power window locking up (drivers side). The sound system shorted out. The cd player quit working. I have replaced my wiper blades several times and they still do not clear the windshield completely. One time when my teens were using my car, they were on the interstate and the car went completely dead...not only were they terrified, it was a very dangerous situation for them to be in.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Dec 152002

Improperly assembled engine or engine assembled with defective materials. Intake manifold gasket fails allowing water to mix with oil and/or fuel, if left uncorrected this condition will destroy the engine. Symptoms seen as early as 36,000 miles with the vehicle being four years old. Had repaired in my Cutlass on Dec. 27, 2002 for $606.06 by chuck nash Chevy/olds/Buick/Jeep/Eagle, san marcos, tx 41901 miles on the odometer at that time thanks for your help. Good luck. Mark C. erickson director of recording arts

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Jan 212004

Vehicle was consuming anti freeze excessively. This was caused by the lower gasket in the engine leaking anti freeze. The anti freeze was going into the engine and mixing with the oil.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Dec 232002

Cutlass 6-cyl

Engine assembled incorrectly or assembled using defective materials. Gasket failure on the intake manifold allows water to mix with oil and/or fuel, if left uncorrected this will destroy the engine. Symptoms seen before the car was driven 40,000 miles, while the car was 4 years old.

- San Marcos, TX, USA