NHTSA — Steering: Rack And Pinion: Rack Problems

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass:

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass Owner Comments

Aug 222005

Cutlass 6-cyl

Recall on 1998 olds Cutlass- I was not notified of such recall on steering: Rack and pinion. I am paying out of pocket for this repair and am getting a run around from Oldsmobile. My car is being serviced at a non-GM facility. Oldsmobile is very inconsistant and unreliable, especially when it comes to safety and customer service. I will never buy a GM vehicle, and recommend that my friends/family not buy one either. GM is not customer oriented and this is very dissappointing.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 272003

Cutlass 6-cyl

Steering making noise after both power steering pump and steering rack began leaking fluid. Dealership has replaced power steering pump (4 times) and power steering rack (4 times), but grinding noise persists. Dealership has been very accommodating and has assigned three different technicians in an attempt to solve this problem. After reading other complaints on this site, I now understand why dealership has been unable to fix this problem after repeated attempts. I am now concerned about my safety while driving the vehicle. I am also concerned if the problem can ever be fixed.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA