Won't Stay Running

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme:

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Owner Comments

Jan 232013

Cutlass Supreme 4D 3100 Series V6

Well i bought this car at a local auto auction a few weeks ago. it was the one car that i started it up and saw the check engine light and said "nah! this car is junk!" and went around looking at Chrysler's and Dodges. after standing there with $1,400.00 to my name and just having my mind blown at how expensive every thing i was looking at was, i kinda felt terrible. but to the point. this one rolled onto the floor and so my fiance and i bid on it and BAM! A headache and $1,115.00 later this bad girl sits pretty outside my house. and i must say I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!! Just a few cars i owned before this one... -1998 Dodge Stratus (got rid of it because of the CPS going out) -2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (left the gas guzzler behind in NY) -2003 Ford Windstar LX (Sold it because it wasn't what i wanted) and now this one.i have gone through FOUR cars in the last year. and to be honest i haven't really found any of these cars to be quite as enjoyable as this one. MY complaint is however, that when you try to start it it wont turn over.. i am what i consider to be an Auto-hypocondriac. meaning anytime i hear a weird noise or the car drives badly i ALWAYS get it checked out. But sadly i don't know too many mechanically savvy people in Arkansas. i have been told it could be my alternator. i was told i might have to replace my engine and starter all kinds of just jumbled up mess. The car drives just fine. i want to rebuild the car from the ground up. She is an older and classy little car with a motor that im sure could last for over 250,000 miles. BUT, I really want to figure out what is wrong with it. The engine has a light Knocking to it but it could be anything. I had a "mechanic" look at it and he told me that it had something to do with a bearing. All he said to me was "If you drive really fast, the motor WILL blow." After that i took it up to Advanced Auto Parts and had them check out my check engine light, so i spent well over 60 dollars changing my plugs and plug wires. So, reasonably speaking that makes me a little bit EHHHH...yeah. I am only 20 years old and i have NO idea what the HELL these people are talking about. HELP. .

- , Jonesboro, AR, USA