Gasoline Filler Tube Broke, Drops From Car

1996 Plymouth Breeze fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Plymouth Breeze:

1996 Plymouth Breeze Owner Comments

Jun 052010

click to see larger images

gasoline filler tube broke, drops from car gasoline filler tube broke, drops from car

I was on my way home, 40 miles away, in the pouring rain, when I felt a thump that jerked my car slightly. I didn't think much of it, as it was raining, perhaps it was from the car hydroplaning. I had to stop to put gas into my car, as i was almost on empty. So I pull up to the pump, start to gas it up, when I see a gush of liquid under my car. Weird. But it's raining. So i start pumping again, and realize that it's gas! I pumped $1.76 worth of gas onto the ground. I know absolutely nothing about cars, so i called my dad to come help, then went inside to let the cashier know. The cashier's boyfriend was inside, he came out and looked at it. The filler tube broke, and was hanging freely under the car. He propped it up for me, and i enough gas into it to get home.

The next day, my Husband and Dad looked at it. The metal tube that connects the tank to the fuel door, via a long tube, rusted right off the body of the car. We were short on cash, so the two of them went to the junk yard to find a replacement. My husband fixed it. Though he's no expert at fixing cars, so it's a pain in the ass to get gas into it now. Apparently there's an art to placing a filler tube onto a car. Air gurgles up while your pumping, spewing gas onto the ground, so I can only pump 2-3 seconds worth of gas before stopping and giving it a second to let the air out. Also, it screwed with the gas efficiency, so that a trip that used to take a quarter of a tank, now takes a half. Twice as much.

If we had taken it to the shop, I'm sure they could've fixed it like brand new. But this isn't the only problem with this car. With all the problems this car has, it would make no sense to spend a couple hundred dollars prolonging, what i'm sure is, it's shortcoming death. So the car is being taken to the junkyard where it belongs.

- , Traverse City, MI, USA