NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal Problems

1998 Plymouth Breeze engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Plymouth Breeze:

1998 Plymouth Breeze Owner Comments

Sep 212004

Breeze 4-cyl

On 9/21/04 I was stopped for a traffic light waiting to turn left. As I took my foot off the brake the car suddenly accelerated without pressing the gas. I used the brake to slow to a normal speed to safely make the turn. Within 3 miles I stopped at another traffic light preparing to make a left into a busy road. As I released the brake, the accelerator again surged on its own. I had to quickly brake behind other vehicles ahead of me. Moments later I made a right into a crowded parking lot then turning left to find parking at the library. Again the steering was difficult to turn and the car suddenly jumped forward without pressing the gas. I stepped on the brake to reduce my speed and the accelerator released itself. On 9/26/04 I was turning left into a parking lot and the steering tightened up, the engine surged when I removed my foot from the brake. I had to brake hard to keep the car under control. Once the accelerator released I parked the car and turned it off. Ten minutes later I started the car with my foot on the brake and put it in drive. Removed my foot from the brake, the accelerator went to the floor and the engine raced. I stepped hard on the brake and shifted into neutral, the car still didn't stop. The engine continued to rev on it own and I was forced to hold the brake to the floor while in neutral to stop the momentum of the car. After sitting like that for a minute or so the accelerator released and the car idled. I waited a few minutes before putting the car back in drive. As soon as I released the brake the engine raced uncontrollably. Put the car in neutral, riding the brake to keep the car from entering the road adjacent to the parking lot. The engine kept racing, so I turned the car off. Upon a restart the engine revved up the same way this time in park while holding brake. Car is not drivable. Serious danger to myself and others. Two people helped push the car into parking spot. (same prior issue with 1991 Plymouth acclaim).

- Mastic, NY, USA

Jun 011999

When applying gas pedalvehicle will make a loud noise. The dealer cannot determine the cause of the defect.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

May 041999

When starting out from a stop gas pedal sticks. Manufacturer/dealership are aware of the situation. The problem is being corrected. The dealership asserted since problem was due to residue buildup on the mechanism, that it was considered normal wear and tear. Consumer maintains that there must be a design flaw because this condition should not occur on a six month old vehicle.

- Ashburn, VA, USA