NHTSA — Equipment: Air Conditioner Problems

4.1

2001 Pontiac Aztek AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Aztek:

2001 Pontiac Aztek Owner Comments

Aug 102001

Aztek 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac aztec. She stated that the condenser would not blow cold air when engaged. The dealer stated that there was a hole in the condenser. The condenser has been replaced on four occasions. The manufacturer offered her a voucher for a new vehicle. As of August 7, 2007, the failure has not been rectified. The failure mileage was 13,745 and the current mileage was 92,000. The consumer was told that brackets were punching holes in the condenser. After the last condenser replacement, the consumer smelled something burning and noticed anti-freeze leaking only when the air conditioner was on. The consumer returned to the dealership and was informed that a new radiator was needed and there was a problem with the intake. The consumer was then told the intake was ok, but a radiator was still needed. Updated 09/11/07. The blower motor was also replaced. Updated 09/11/07.

- Oak Park , MI, USA

May 282004

Aztek 6-cyl

On May 28, 2004 I took my 2001 Aztek to dealer to see why my air conditioner did not blow cold air they found leak in right lower corner of condenser, $845 plus tax I declined the repairs but still cost me $75 just to check. I asked at a regular car repair place and they tried to get a new condenser but was told this was a defect and would not be able to fix. This was at 75,174 miles. I bought the car new. Very few problems other than this. I am now at 97,000 and still no air. Why fix if it will do it again.

- Mount Orab, OH, USA

Jun 042004

Aztek 6-cyl

Air conditioner stopped working. I was told that the compressor case cracked and leaked all the coolant.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Jul 172004

Aztek 6-cyl

A/C condenser has a leak on the right hand side, bottom corner. Vehicle had just 47,200 miles. It appears this is a frequent failure (6 replacements listed NHTSA complaints and 3 web sites with over 18 identical complaints). One source stated that it appeared to be caused by manufacture process in which insuficent weld process was used causing failure due to normal vibration between 42,000 and 60,000 miles. This is listed as an alert for Canadian comsumers as well so I am sure it is a frequent problem.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Mar 012003

Aztek 6-cyl

Air conditioner condenser developed a hole resulting in need for new installation.

- Berrien Springs, MI, USA

Jun 082004

Aztek 6-cyl

Air conditioner condenser cracked just after the 50,000 mile mark. This car has been driven conservatively in non-extreme conditions with regular checkups. It cracked completely on its own without any help from myself. It was only a matter of a few days before the cold level inside went from cold to hot. The repair required the replacement of the condenser which proved to be very costly for me; $850. Neither the dealer or Pontiac customer service offered any help for my situation even though I was informed by the dealer that this problem is very common with Azteks.

- Andover, MN, USA

May 172004

Aztek 6-cyl

Have had on-going issues with electrical system and A/C evaporator drain. Have had the drain cleaned twice and repaired once. Still have water draining into passenger compartment. Have replaced both front hubs, four wiring harnesses, the fuel pump, the battery, and the blower motor twice. Most of these failures due to corrosion/melting. Another harness now needs to be replaced due to corrosion.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

May 112004

Aztek

I took my 2001 Pontiac Aztek in for A/C service on 5/11/04 because the air emitted was not cool. They recharged the A/C. less than 24 hours later, the air was warm again. I took it back to the garage where they ran dye through the A/C and found the compressor needs replaced at an estimate of $1000. They said this should not happen at 43,000 miles and could be a manufacturer problem. I checked several vehicle information sites on the internet and found this to be a common problem at the same mileage, but GM will not issue a recall. This is a very expensive repair and is obviously the fault of the manufacturer. It's a shame that GM will lose valuable customers over something like this.

- Westerville, OH, USA

May 162004

Aztek 6-cyl

Took my 2001 Pontiac Aztek in last week 10 Mar 04 with a A/C problem. They told me it was low on freon and serviced it back up and sent me on my way. 5 days later turned on the A/C and again no cold air. Took my Aztek back in today and they called and told me that I have a crack in my condenser on the right side on the bottom. Look up on NHTSA web site and find a technical service bulletin and call Pontiac but they don't have it on their system so they will not offer any assistance for me. The technical service bulletin on this website says exactly the problem I have and even gives new installation instructions for the new condenser. Why have new installation procedures? obviously there is a problem if you have to install it a new way but Pontiac won't offer any help. It's obviously a manufacturer deficiency and they are not willing to correct it without wanting to charge me $1000. The way I'm being treated I don't think I will ever own another GM product.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Aug 222003

Aztek 6-cyl

When I bought my 2001 Aztek in September 2001, I was told by the salesperson that it would be a dependable durable car. It has been anything but. Will not keep alignment so the tires have worn prematurely. The seal around the passenger door leaked causing carpet damage which was not replaced by the dealership. Air conditioner condenser had a crack and one week after replacement, the car ran hot. Luckily, all of this happened under warranty. One week after the condenser was replaced, the car ran hot. One week after the intake was fixed, it ran hot again. The dealership service department added coolant and sent me on my way. The same day it ran hot again (Saturday). I took the car back in on Monday morning at 35,946 miles. They drove the car 33 miles to see if the car would get hot. It was returned to me with 35,979 miles and they could not duplicate the problem. I have also had brake failure, the transmission is slipping, there is a ticking noise underneath in front and back, and the car feels unstable on the road. Overall I feel very unsafe in the car and would like for the dealer to buy the car back at full purchase price.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Jun 222003

Aztek

At 42,000 miles the condensor began to leak oil, rendering the A/C inoperable.

- Gillette, WY, USA

Aug 072003

Aztek 6-cyl

While driving with the air conditioner on in my 2001 Pontiac Aztek, there was a strong odor of gasoline (3 days in a row). Car was brought in for servicing on Monday Aug 11, they were having problems duplicating problem. Still working on it.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Jul 102003

Aztek

Our air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. Compressor or condenser went out. We had it checked for leaks. No leaks just bad parts.

- Cub Run, KY, USA

Jul 012001

Aztek 6-cyl

Twice within 52000 the A/C condenser had to be replaced due to a hole in the condenser letting out the freon. I believe this is a defective part by the manufacturer. July 1 2001 and then May 15, 2003.

- Walls, MS, USA