NHTSA — Equipment: Electrical: Air Conditioner Problems

2001 Pontiac Aztek AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Aztek:

2001 Pontiac Aztek Owner Comments

May 032003

Aztek 6-cyl

Air conditioning replaced 4 times at my own expense once when it was under warranty. Shortly after it broke again due to defect in manufacturing as stated by the dealership. Hole is created due to bracket and coolant leaks out. The purchase and install of a new one has cost me $1200 each time it happens and for the past 4 years I've just driven without air conditioning due to the cost factor and knowing it's going to happen again in the next 2 months. Everytime it was replaced it was for the same problem a hole in the condenser. I've hear complaints from every atzek owner I've met about the air conditioning and still Pontiac refuses to fess us to the manufacturing defect. For the past 4 years I've had to drive around in 90+ degree heat without air because of this. I'm a field technician and I'm traveling year round. I had an 88 Grand Prix previously and that had issues with the brakes and I spent thousands of dollars on brakes only to receive a letter 2 years after I got rid of the car claiming I can get money back due to a defect in the brakes. I shouldn't have to suffer from heat exhaustion due to a defect in the way Pontiac designed the ac. They should atleast be able to design something that won't core a hole in the condenser. They also have issues with the tailgate and rear lights peeling. I have to open my tailgate 2 times and use the key while pulling the tailgate up. I've gotten the parts replaced 2 times and it hasn't solved the problem they tell me everytime I open the tailgate I have to manually adjust the stops so that the tailgate will open again. I shouldn't have to do this. I'm not the only one with these issues everyone is.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Mar 032007

Aztek 6-cyl

I was finding antifreeze in my oil. Took to the shop and had to have the intake gasket and the manifold gasket replaced. Also had to have a new thermostat and pvc valve. It cost almost $900. This is not the only problems have had to have the front wheel bearings replaced 2 times and brake shoes 2 times. Also had to have the heater fixed. Now the ac does not work. Had to have the window control unit replaced on the driver side. Had to have computer components replaced because the battery went bad with no notice. And now the windshield wipers do not work. To fix this problem is going to cost me $200 that is just for the whole motor and connecting rods. Because it is a factory only part. All together I have paid almost $2,000. The ac is the condenser which is another $300. I have had and loved GM vehicles for awhile. But this kind of thing has never been a problem.....something has got to be done.

- Woodward, OK, USA

Apr 062004

Fuel gauge stopped working, could not tell how much fuel there was. Dealer said fuel sensor went out. Notice other complaints of this type at 50,000 miles. Also ac also went out at 50,000 defected bracket GM will not back up.

- Oconto, Wi 54153, WI, USA

Jun 092004

Air conditioning failure. Had to replace condenser because of faulty bracket.

- Oconto, WI, USA

Aug 122005

Aztek 6-cyl

Air conditioner condenser was replaced in summer of 2003 and again in 2005. Mechanic said that both incidents were due to faulty engineering (bracket). The bracket somehow causes a hole in the condenser in the same place. I have saved the old condensers for proof. There is nothing the mechanic can do to prevent it from happening again.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

May 032006

Aztek 6-cyl

Air conditioner stopped functioning at around 60,000 miles. Ac condenser was replaced. Repair tech said that there was a bracket that was poorly made, and that bracket would punch holes in the condenser. Tech said the parts supplier had sold over 200 condensers in the past 2 weeks. Repair tech had fixed 3 exactly like this one over the past several months.

- Farmington, MN, USA

May 092005

Aztek 6-cyl

Condenser broke for air conditioner. I have seen this problem on just about every Aztek!

- Linden, MI, USA

Sep 032003

Aztek 6-cyl

We have had multiple thing go wrong with our 2001 Aztek we purchased under 40,000 miles, now has about 60, 000- the front brake rotors were warped- mechanic said that they had to have been like that from manufacturer, as he has never seen anything that bad in a car of that age- air conditioner is not working- went on the web, and it looks like many owners are also experiencing this due to cracked/leaking compressors- also, fuel gauge stopped working shortly after we purchased- needle is very sporadic, and you never know how much gas you have- this also seems to be a common problem- had interior electrical problems as well- this was the only thing fixed by Pontiac- I recently contacted Pontiac, who was unwilling to address any of these issues.

- Holland, MI, USA