2001 Pontiac Aztek engine problems: blown head gasket, coolant leak

Blown Head Gasket, Coolant Leak

8.6

$1,467.00

1. replace head gasket (5 reports)
  2. new engine (1 reports)
2001 Pontiac Aztek engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Aztek:

2001 Pontiac Aztek Owner Comments

Jan 232011

Aztek 3.2L

i am fixing to do a head gasket job on my friends 2002 Pontiac Aztek, does anyone know how much labor they charge to do one? i won't charge but about half of the labor that normal shops charge! thanks in advance

- , Waycross, GA, USA

Mar 252010

Aztek

It's nice to know that you're paying $700 to put some cardboard in your engine...

- , Norman, OK, USA

Apr 152009

Aztek GT 3.4L

ever since I bought this Aztek it has cost me alot besides the blown head gaskets, it still gets hot when its idels and have to shut it off so it won't over heat again.The seat belts don't work like they should. the driver seat don't heat up any more the shifter got stuck in park. now I having the cv joint boot replaced on the front right after fixing the traction system and hub on the front right

- , LaSalle, IL, USA

Dec 152008

Aztek 3.4L V6

I had just replaced a head gasket in my Aztek for the 3rd time since owning the car. I have had the car since 2003. I replaced a gasket in 2005, once in February 08 and December 08. Im trying to find out why Ive had this repeated problem. I am 9 payments away from owning this vehicle and want to own it before it craps out. Anyone know why this happens over and over and over?

- , Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Sep 212007

Aztek V6

Th car started overheating but the radiator was cool, the water in the overflow tank was cool. The temp would raise gradually. The temp gauge went from the red to normal within seconds. When I first took it in to the dealership they replaced the body module of the computer ($650) they said it controlled the gauges. The car still overheated. So I took it back. One of the mechanics started talking about gaskets. I Googled it and found that it is a known problem on several GM models over several years and GM won't do a recall.

- , Arlington, MA, USA

Feb 132007

Aztek

I have been having issues with this AZTEK since about 30,000 miles. When 1st mechanic said that the overheating was a fan issue- we replaced the fan. Then a timer, then some sort of oil pan was replaced since it was also sucking the oil through the engine as well as the coolant. Then he said to replace the intake manifold for another $1000.00. Also the AC stopped working so he replaced the core at $1000.00 1 month later was back to square one and couldn't drive 1 block from my house before overheating. That mechanic said to replace the head gasket and it would be another $1800.00 and the AC would need same repair as well as heat since that also stopped working. I went to a new mechanic and he said to replace the engine at $4000.00 as once you get those leaks you will tend to get them further back in the engine as well so replacing the head gasket will not be a guarantee and I already had seen this when replacing the manifold. This new mechanic did some research and found that GM had replaced some engines for people but it is case by case so I am going to try that direction. I tried to trade in this piece of junk when I bought the Honda and they wouldn't take it as a trade in - I never heard of that - the salesman said having that car on his lot would cost him more than help him.

- , Stratford, NJ, USA

Jan 092007

Aztek

I experienced a lack of heat while going below 40MPH. We topped off coolant and that helped, however, there seemed to be a coolant leak. We brought it in and were told the head gasket is where the coolant is leaking from and it would cost approx $2000-2500 to repair. Has anyone had this problem? How did you resolve? Given the car has 81000 miles, we are unsure whether we should have the repairs done.

- , Ledyard, CT, USA