NHTSA — Engine Problems

1.2

2003 Pontiac Aztek engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Pontiac Aztek:

2003 Pontiac Aztek Owner Comments

Aug 282014

Aztek

Engine RPM surges to over 3000 without warning. This often happens when the car is initially placed in drive after starting the engine. The driver may need to suddenly apply the brake if behind a car. The high RPM also acts as an undesired "cruise control" system, though the vehicle is not equipped with "cruise". the driver must also firmly hold the brake pedal down while stopped as the car will lurch forward.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Apr 112014

Aztek

My Aztek started to sputtering one morning, bringing my car to a stop. The car stalled and I would have to restart. It seemed like I couldn't go over 40 mph. It's just kept hiccuping. I took it to a mechanic and got a new fuel and air filter. Still having problems, I replaced the idle air control valve. That didn't fix the problem. My car continued to get worse and couldn't even get anywhere. Took it to have the catalytic converter replaced, and it ran ok for about two weeks then it began to do it again. Took it back to the shop, and diagnostics read that it needed a new O2 sensor. So I replaced that and it seems like it has only gotten worse. The shop that replaced the converter and O2 sensor spent 6 hours or labor trying to find the root of the problem and they couldn't figure it out; and refused to replace anything else because they were uncomfortable with charging me more money and the car not getting fixed.this morning (about a little over a month this all started) I tried to make it into town where I could take it to another shop, and my car completely gave up. The key wouldn't even turn over. So that has racked me up a nice towing bill. Over 1000 doll as S in the last month, and my car is completely dead. Seems like my problem is the same as everyone else's on the internet with an Aztek.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Jan 012014

Aztek

The contact owns a 2003 Pontiac Aztek. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact was unable to restart the engine. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 202013

Aztek

I was driving about 4 mins. I stopped at light and car cut off. Car never cut on after. I just purchased car on June 26 2013. I was told there aren't ant problems with the car and if I have any problems to bring it back I brought it back to find that they didn't value their word. They wouldn't accept car back and exchange for my purchase. Although I am unable to drive car til this day.

- East Orange, NJ, USA