NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2.1

2004 Pontiac Aztek electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Aztek:

2004 Pontiac Aztek Owner Comments

Apr 012010

Aztek

Key stuck in ignition once car turned off. This has happened intermittently since first occurred in 2010. The only way to remove key is to override park shift indicator, which would allow key to be removed while vehicle in motion, thereby disabling power steering and braking. There is no fix that does not involve overriding park shift indicator per dealer.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Apr 012010

- New Orleans, LA, USA

May 092014

Aztek

Driving car on road and car quit running, electrical started flashing. Pulled over and ignition switch would only go to acc. Mode, it would not turn to off position. I had car towed to my house. The ignition will only go to acc. Mode will not turn to off position where key can be removed..unhooked battery terminal and car is still parked.

- Paoli, OK, USA

Apr 232012

Aztek 6-cyl

The gauges messed up first none of the gauges work sometimes the speed odometer will move but does not work. The car also when accelrating the gas it wont go the way it should it takes along time to build up speed. I have spent a lot of money on this car trying to get it to run proper I have replaced the transmission and I have had it in the shop at G.M.C to have the issue with the fuel system issue they replaced a part but it did not resolve the problem they had no idea what the problem was and this was teague Chevrolet-Buick Inc mabank, tx, 75147. As of May 2, 2014 the car want stay running this has something to do with the fuel system I just found out about the recall I was never notified about this I only found out cause I was serching on what could be wrong with my Aztek and I found the recall this axtek is a real lemon.

- Kemp, TX, USA

Aug 172012

Aztek

I was pulling out of a gas station into traffic, as I entered traffic all power shut down forcing me to coast to the shoulder of the highway.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Feb 282012

Aztek

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac aztec. The contact stated that the vehicle would provide inaccurate readings for various components on the instrument panel. The dealer and the manufacturer were notified of the failure, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,070 and the current mileage was 121,000.

- Wilsonville, AL, USA

Apr 202010

Aztek

2004 Pontiac Aztek rally - this problem started in April 2010 - you get into the car, turn it on and start driving down the road. The speed of the car increases slowly until you have to put on the brake to stay within the posted speed limits. This happens almost daily now. A Chevrolet dealer, first tried a new battery & gave it back to us. Within 2 miles of the dealership it started again. We took it back - they hooked it up to a computer - found nothing - so then they replaced the car's computer system - we left the dealership and it started again - we took it back and they said they would have to contact gmac and make some inquiries. No one know what is wrong with it but it is not safe to drive the way it is.

- Poinciana, FL, USA

Nov 162004

Aztek 6-cyl

Driving about 5 mph engine shut down. Dealer could not duplicate problem.

- Wilmington, IL, USA