NHTSA — Engine Problems

2004 Pontiac Aztek engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Aztek:

2004 Pontiac Aztek Owner Comments

Sep 072015

I have not driven my vehicle for 2 months because my mechanic told me my valve cover gaskets were leaking on to my exhaust manifold and that it why it was smoking when we stopped. I talked to my local GM dealer and they said it is not part of the recall so they could not help, so I have three choices let it sit in my driveway, pay several hundred dollars to get it fixed or drive it till it starts on fire. It has the 3800 motor like all the other cars in the recall. I can get a letter from my mechanic if needed.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

May 092014

Driving car on road and car quit running, electrical started flashing. Pulled over and ignition switch would only go to acc. Mode, it would not turn to off position. I had car towed to my house. The ignition will only go to acc. Mode will not turn to off position where key can be removed..unhooked battery terminal and car is still parked.

- Paoli, OK, USA

Jan 192015

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Aztek. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle accelerated independently and the check engine, fuel tank, and fuel pressure warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 158,000.

- Meshoppen, PA, USA

Jun 022008

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Aztek. While driving 15 mph, the engine stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, but the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Wadley, GA, USA