NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2007 Pontiac G5 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G5:

2007 Pontiac G5 Owner Comments

Mar 262014

G5 4-cyl

When pep boys first removed the passenger rear engine cradle bolt back in March, the factory nut broke off from being welded to the car body. When a local mechanic recently removed the bolt for related service, he showed it to me. The threads on the middle of the bolt shaft were all seemingly chewed up. The local mechanics best guess was that the air conditioner condenser drains on to that area, which originally weakened the factory welded nut, and causing corrosion on the engine cradle bolt. The bolt won't last long, and I have ordered a replacement bolt, at my expense, to replace the prematurely 'worn' original bolt. Unfortunately, not much can be done to restore having a factory welded nut to receive said bolt. Had I not commissioned the additional work, I may have had a serious accident in the future, unaware of the bolt corroding away!

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Jun 302014

G5 4-cyl

I picked my vehicle up at the dealership today from having the ignition switch recall done on it(took 2months) and I was told that the key still does not come out of the ignition when the car is in park and that I need to purchase and replace the shifter to correct the problem. This is just unacceptable!! this should all be included in the recall!! that is all you hear about on the news is about this recall and the key being stuck in the ignition.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Mar 122014

While driving on icy roads, the car began to slide and spin out of control. As I attempted to correct the motion of the car, the engine switched off. And because the engine had switched off, it became impossible to turn the steering wheel. The car spun around at least 3 complete rotations (of 360 degrees) before sliding to a stop on the side of the road. The gear shift was still in drive, and could not immediately be changed to park. But naturally, the car had to be restarted, which it finally did after much effort. And the car could be put into park after the engine had restarted.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 132010

I need this investigated please !!!!!!!I have a 2007 Pontiac G5 and have been having issues with the engine running erratically. The RPM will jump up while I'm driving at a constant speed. This has been going on for a few months. Two weeks ago I was stopped at a traffic light and it speed up and red lined and lurched into the intersection. Thank god everyone avoided each other. It was during rush hour !!! it happened again this morning and I was almost T-boned by a semi !!! I have had it checked and no one has found anything!! there was a mechanic that had it cut up some when he drove it but said it was not doing enough to diagnose the problem. There are no warning lights on and it is random doing it. We have tried putting it in the same situations to get it to do it so the mechanics can see it for themselves, but have had no luck !!!!! I am very concerned about this and want something done !!!!! if more of these cars are doing this someone is going to die !!!! it is extremely dangerous and needs investigated please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Athens, AL, USA