NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Pontiac G5 (Page 2 of 2)

2007 Pontiac G5 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G5:

2007 Pontiac G5 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 112011

Following a 2007 or 2008 Pontiac G5 as driven by a friend. Noticed occasionally (though not always) the center brake light would illuminate and the main brake lights would lag behind considerably (probably somewhere between 2 tenths and half a second).

- Palatine, IL, USA

Jan 182011

Serious safety issue here..on 1/18/2011 I got in my car went to the store. At this time I noticed a strong odor of gas inside my vehicle. Next day I started car and backed it out smelled stronger gas smell. Pulled car back in garage. Car was towed to GM dealer. GM dealer stated "nothing is wrong with the vehicle" paid $200 got car back still wreaks of strong gas smell upon starting (inside the vehicle). I have contacted the attorney general and GM. I am getting nowhere with getting this vehicle repair. Basically the two warranties aren't being used because the GM dealers don't want to wait on their money and other Pontiac G-5's have had the same problem (same year make and model) the fuel module and fuel pump are to be replaced free of charge I am getting conflicting statements on "my car not being on recall" and findings where there is a recall. I am considering giving the car back and requesting a full refund if they are not backing their warranty. I feel this car has severe safety issues and I cannot drive a vehicle that is a fire hazard/explosion risk. I was always told if you smell gas don't drive a vehicle. I'm starting to think when they sold the vehicle they knew there was safety issues as I was forced into gap insurance and an extended warranty. What good did it do to have all these protections if none of them are getting my car repaired. The first thing I did after smelling fuel was look up on recall information.. vehicles assembled in Mexico and Alabama were on recall GM stated "your car is not included" why I am having these issues with my vehicle.? the recall states the fuel module may crack and leak gas which may result in fire/explosion. This will be the third recall I purchased the vehicle new. First door locks, then steering problem, now fuel leak.

- Englewood, OH, USA

Feb 152010

2007 Pontiac G5. Steering gave out twice causing near collision both times, brake failure at times. Sometimes the brakes are fine sometimes they cant even slow the vehicle down. Dash lights, all gauges, signal lights, radio, heater fan, rear defrost comes on and goes out rapidly at times causing inside of car cabin to fill with smoke. GM claims that this is normal and that none of these complaints are considered to be safety issues. The car has only 44000kms on it. There was 42000 when these problems started getting serious. They say the have the steering problem fixed, but I haven't had the car back long enough to know as it ends up in the garage every couple of days. The car duplicated the problems for the mechanic at the GM dealership but they say they don't know what is causing the problems. The gave the car back with the problems and said that I am stuck with it. When I asked them about it filling up with smoke they said if it happens again get out and let it burn. Easy for them to is my family that is in this car including two small children in car seats. Someone has to stop this before it is too late and someone gets killed because of GM's junk they are putting on the road. Any help in these matters would greatly be appreciated.

- Carbonear, 00, USA

Jan 132010

I need this investigated please !!!!!!!I have a 2007 Pontiac G5 and have been having issues with the engine running erratically. The RPM will jump up while I'm driving at a constant speed. This has been going on for a few months. Two weeks ago I was stopped at a traffic light and it speed up and red lined and lurched into the intersection. Thank god everyone avoided each other. It was during rush hour !!! it happened again this morning and I was almost T-boned by a semi !!! I have had it checked and no one has found anything!! there was a mechanic that had it cut up some when he drove it but said it was not doing enough to diagnose the problem. There are no warning lights on and it is random doing it. We have tried putting it in the same situations to get it to do it so the mechanics can see it for themselves, but have had no luck !!!!! I am very concerned about this and want something done !!!!! if more of these cars are doing this someone is going to die !!!! it is extremely dangerous and needs investigated please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Athens, AL, USA