NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Pontiac G5 (Page 1 of 2)

2007 Pontiac G5 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G5:

2007 Pontiac G5 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 112016

I was driving down the highway at 70mph (posted speed limit) when the RPM gauge dropped to 0 and the car lost power. I was able to ease my way onto the shoulder but with no power breaks I had to mash down the break petal finally coming to a stop. The vehicle was towed back into town and am still waiting to find out the cause of this issue. The car has less than 80,000 miles on it! I have dealt with the ignition switch recall, the timing chain has been replaced twice already, the headlights and break lights have to be changed every 3 months just about, and now this!

- Danville, VA, USA

Jun 282011

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. While driving various speeds, the odometer and speedometer displayed incorrect readings. In addition, while driving 35 mph, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the computer that controlled the power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering), but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,175.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 182016

Pontiac G5 gts 2007 driving on 408 in orlando Florida in pouring rain car shuts down to low engine power, got a tow home a mechanic diagnostic as the ignition switch fault. I now have to tow to a GM dealership at my out of pocket cost rented a car at out of pocket cost.I need to reimbursed

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 242015

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. While driving 35 mph, the steering wheel seized and became difficult to turn. In addition, there was a loud noise while driving and attempting to make a turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering module and the torque synthesizer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that there was a manufacturer's recall related to the failure that the vehicle was serviced under in 2010. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,620.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Aug 052014

G5 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that the key would remain stuck in the ignition switch and the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was pending repairs under NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and 14V171000 (electrical system). In addition, when refueling the vehicle, fuel leaked from the fuel tank. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was refueled at half a tank in order to prevent fuel leaking. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline) and 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000. Update 01/15/16 MA updated 02/04/16.

- Arkansas City , KS, USA

Jun 222015

G5 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle shut down. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the bci and the ignition cylinder switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that a year prior to the failure occurring, the vehicle was serviced under a manufacturers recall for the related failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,400 updated 8/21/15 updated 03/03/14.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jan 072015

After shutting off vehicle, the cooling fans would engage. They would continue to run for 15-20 mins regardless of engine temp or run time. This was the first indication that something was wrong. Shortly after that the car would not start due to lack of power from battery. I had a diagnostic check run on system that showed that most parts of the electrical system had some type of error or another. I replaced the battery due to a bad cell and re-ran diagnostic. Shows that the computer was not operating correctly which was tripping the rest of the error messages. Would this be a factory defect for the computer?

- Graham , TX, USA

Jul 022014

G5 6-cyl

When attempting to unlock the doors (with the remote or key then lock button on the drivers door) some doors do not unlock and have to be manually unlocked.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dec 052014

G5 4-cyl

My vehicle was one in the ignition switch recall. However, since I bought the vehicle ever so often and more and more the gauges will go crazy all lights (check engine, power steering, antitheft, etc) will all go on at once! this happens as I am driving it and without warning (on the highway, or just driving in the city). The car acts as if I am pressing the gas and brakes at the same time and I can't steer the car! this needs to become a recall as I know of numerous other cars this is happening to. Just look online! they can never find anything when I take it in and someone will end up dying if this doesn't get resolved.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Feb 032014

GM has sent numerous recall letters about the faulty ignition switch on my 2007 Pontiac G5. I went to a local dealership to put in a request for parts. Seemed odd that I had to request parts for a well known safety recall. The dealership is jupiter Chevrolet at 11611 lbj fwy, garland, tx 75041. I put in this request about 7 weeks ago. I have not heard from GM or jupiter Chevrolet about the parts. I called the dealership over a week ago and had to leave a message because they could not answer the phone. Still no return call. I would appreciate any help you can provide to get my car in safe operating condition. Thanks

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Jul 302012

G5 4-cyl

2007 Pontiac G5. Consumer writes in regards to seat belt, engine and other vehicle problems. The consumer stated on July 30, 2012, the seat belts had to be replaced, due to the check air bags light was flashing. She was charged $100 for a seat belt kit. One year later, while driving in the passing lane at 70 mph, the vehicle slowed down to about 20 or 30 mph. The consumer was able to get off the road. She turned the vehicle off, waited and re-started it again. The check engine light remained on. The dealer replaced the sensor behind the accelerator pedal. In December 2013, the vehicle slowed down once again, while driving at 70 mph. The dealer charged her for an accelerator pedal, and the automatic door trunk, trunk opener and the electric start, never worked since. The consumer was informed, she probably dropped the keys and broke something inside. However, everything worked up until that point.

- West Newton, PA, USA

Jun 282014

G5 4-cyl

This is like the third email I write in regards to this car. The dealership has been very irresponsible with the problem and recalls. With been waiting for months for the part to arrive since they already made us waste a day to tell us the parts aren't available. Well last Saturday (28 June 2014) the car shutoff going downhill thank god she managed to take control with the emergency brake. Not sure what else to do. She should get a car from the dealership until they fix the problem, its her only car and she has to go to work and public transportation in pr is really bad.

- Moca, PR, USA

Jun 302014

G5 4-cyl

I picked my vehicle up at the dealership today from having the ignition switch recall done on it(took 2months) and I was told that the key still does not come out of the ignition when the car is in park and that I need to purchase and replace the shifter to correct the problem. This is just unacceptable!! this should all be included in the recall!! that is all you hear about on the news is about this recall and the key being stuck in the ignition.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Aug 062009

G5 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the key did not come out of the ignition and the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that due to the failure he was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed into a reflector, causing damage to the bumper and a tire. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure but did replace the tire. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 40,000. Updated 09/05/14 the consumer stated the vehicle hit a bump on a ramp and the vehicle stalled. The steering and brakes failed. The consumer hit what was believed to be a reflector pole, damaging the left, rear tire and the rear bumper. Updated 09/17/2014

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

May 062014

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign id number 14V04700 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part was unavailable to do the repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The vehicle had not exhibited the failure.

- Lakeworth, FL, USA

Apr 252014

G5 4-cyl

My vehicle is part of the nationwide recall of GM vehicles due to a faulty ignition switch. The issues with these vehicles came to light months ago, and I got a recall notice the beginning of March. I called my local dealers to schedule an appointment, but was told they had not received the recall parts yet and I would be notified once they were sent. After not hearing anything for over a month I called the dealerships again today and was told the parts still have not been sent. This is beyond unacceptable. People are dying because of this issue and GM clearly doesn't care. How a safety recall could be initiated and parts still not be available months later is mind boggling. If GM doesn't care about their drivers safety hopefully you do.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Mar 032014

G5 4-cyl

I saw on the internet re-calls for GM cars and found that my particular model/year car was being recalled. The more reading I did on the subject I realized that everything that I had to have fixed on my car was being recalled. I have spent thousands of dollars getting my airbags, my steering column, my brakes, my computer sensors, the steering harness, etc. Fixed on this car only to find out that there had been re-calls. I am currently waiting for the 'local dealership' to find a 'good used' steering column for my car since mine is breaking down and they said they can't get one. I also own a GMC S-10 in which the key fits into my car and turns it on. I called the local dealership and told them that I knew there was a recall recently and that everything I've had fixed on that Pontiac G5 is now being recalled. Hope you can help me.

- Fort Washakie, WY, USA

Aug 102013

TL- the contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G5. The contact stated while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle lost control. The vehicle crashed into a tree and the airbags deployed. There were no warning light indicators on the instrument panel. A police report was filed and there were no major injuries. The driver and the passenger was not injured. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contacts residence. The vehicle was not inspected nor diagnosed. After the accident the right rear passengers side back wheel locks up. The vehicle was not inspected nor diagnosed. The contact was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) after the failure occured. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120000. Dyd

- Milfield, OH, USA

Nov 092011

G5 4-cyl

I was just driving home an on the freeway the car just stopped, I was lucky that I could just coast in to a safe area. After awhile I turned it on an it started up.. the same thing happened today 2/26/14 I stopped at the post office and it would not turn on I waited about ten minutes and it started. It seems to be the ignition.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 012010

G5 4-cyl

While driving, there's a chime and all my gauges drop to zero. I get a "power steering" and "low fuel" alerts on my dashboard (and I'm pretty sure the power steering goes out). See video at:

- Snohomish, WA, USA