NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2008 Pontiac G5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G5:

2008 Pontiac G5 Owner Comments

May 302014

G5 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle, the steering went hay wire to where we lost control of the car and crashed. We were unable to control the car and it veered off into somebody else's lane and hit their vehicle. The air bags never deployed like they should have. We are unsure of what happened and are struggling to pay for the repairs.

- Canton, MI, USA

Oct 072010

G5 4-cyl

I have had acceleration issues several times with the G5. One incident happened while trying to pull onto a busy highway. As I was trying to accelerate to merge the car started jerking almost as if it were out of gas, yet I had a full tank. It has happened many times other than that, but that particular time frightened me and my passengers. I notice it most often while driving and attempting to accelerate to go up hills. When it happens going up hills, it is almost like I lose power. This problem seems to be extremely dangerous in heavy traffic situations. It does not matter how hard or soft you hit the accelerator during this time, it will still do it.

- Athens, OH, USA

Jun 222008

G5

Approaching a busy intersection, my Pontiac G5's brakes failed to work. I could tell the hydraulics systems was working as I could hear metal on metal but it did nothing to slow down the vehicle. The vehicle's cdr showed the vehicle accelerating at full throttle although I know my foot was on the brake pedal as evidenced by the metal on metal sound. Plus a witness saw smoke coming from my vehicle. I was able to turn prior to going through the intersection and aimed for a fire hydrant to try to slow down. It did nothing to slow the vehicle, I tried to turn right to join the traffic direction, but the steering did not work. I then hit another vehicle.

- Metairie, LA, USA