NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2008 Pontiac G5 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G5:

2008 Pontiac G5 Owner Comments

Jul 012016

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G5. Whether driving or parked, the vehicle leaked fuel from the top of the fuel tank. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Sanger, TX, USA

Dec 282015

Noticed a strong fuel smell coming from rear of vehicle after returning from a trip to the store. Looked under vehicle and saw a puddle of fuel forming on drivers side in front of rear tire. Looked at the undercarriage and saw a steady fuel leak coming from the fuel line beneath the silver heat shield wrap. I removed the wrap to find that the fuel line had rusted through around the plastic mounting clip. This is a serious safety defect as the fuel line run inches from the exhaust pipe hence the manufacturers heat shield wrap attempting to shield the fuel lines from the exhaust pipe. This is a poor design as it is located just in front of the driver side rear tire. The heat shield wrap gets saturated from water from the tire then has no place to go, accelerating corrosion. My vehicle only has 63,000 miles. This should never had happened. Request GM correct the design and repair my vehicle thus eliminating future occurrences.

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Dec 282015

G5 4-cyl

After noticing a gasoline smell and a puddle collecting underneath my vehicle while it was in park, I took it to the dealer to see what was going on with my vehicle. The dealership then informed me that my vehicle was seriously leaking fuel. They told me that the fuel line from the tank to the engine was completely rusted through. The price to replace this part is completely ridiculous and I am highly upset that no one has told me that this part was starting to rust for the last year. My car is only 9 years old and doesn't even have 100,000 miles on it. This is a highly unsafe issue that requires the company to do a recall on because no one should be driving their vehicle when there is a fuel leak!!!!

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Dec 212015

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G5. While driving at various speeds, the contact smelled fuel inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Long Pine, PA, USA

Nov 012015

Noticed a fuel smell in the car, then had trouble starting the car. After a few days there was a puddle of liquid under my car as I left the grocery store. Fuel smell was extremely strong. Got home and looked under car and found a fuel hose leaking gas. Took into a mechanic who found the whole fuel line to be rotted! its a 7 year old car with slightly over 100,000 miles on it. Mechanic said he has never seen anything like this and can't believe their isn't a recall issued on this. This is very unsafe and could have seriously harmed myself and my children had a fire started.

- El Paso, IL, USA

Jan 012015

G5 4-cyl

When we fill up the fuel tank the car has a very strong smell of gas inside the car and several feet away from the car and found a puddle of gas under the car. Once the tank is 1/2 down the smell subsides. We took it to the dealer and they said we needed a new gas tank, lines and pump.and seal. The car is only 7 years old with 40,000 miles on it. There isn't any physical damage to the tank and we feel that it ahould be taken care of by the manufacturer as it seems to be an error in the assembly of the tank. Thank you for your time.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Feb 092013

G5 4-cyl

We smelled a strong odor of gasoline after parking the car. We continued running errands (stop and go driving) and the smell continued. We then parked the car until the following week because we were afraid to drive it. Upon taking it to a mechanic, he informed us that the plastic return line from the fuel sending unit/fuel pump was severely cracked and leaking gasoline on top of the fuel tank underneath the car. He removed the fuel tank and replaced the entire sending unit/pump with a new unit from GM. He stated several times that the car was not safe to drive before the repair due to the leakage of raw gasoline on top of the tank around many electrical components.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Feb 102013

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that while traveling 40 mph, the hesitated then stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was found that the fuel pump had failed. The dealer also informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system: Gasoline). The failure mileage and current mileages were 91,000.

- Clearwater , FL, USA

Jan 272013

G5 4-cyl

Engine would not start cleanly. When it did there was a very strong smell of gas and you could see gas leaking onto the ground. After having it checked the local repair shop replaced the fuel assembly for a cost of $889.06. Mechanic said he had performed the same repair to several other GM vehicles. After checking the web, I found many other G5 owners have reported same problems. There is a repair bulletin out for this car, but GM has done nothing to notify me about a recall. I am the original owner.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 142012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that she smelled fuel inside and outside the cabin of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but the failure could not be replicated. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 95,000.

- Alexandria, LA, USA

Nov 022012

G5 4-cyl

Vehicle started smelling with heavy gas fumes both inside and outside. It was so bad you couldn't drive the car. Checked all common areas for leaks, nothing would show on the ground and no other areas showed any signs of leakage. Took the car to the local dealership and they found that the gas smell was coming from the fuel pump module located on top of the gas tank between the tank and the floor in the back seat. They explained to me that the module was defective as it is located in such a confined place that nothing could have got up there to break the plastic 90% line coupler. So to repair it they had to replace the entire fuel pump module as the little 50 cent piece of plastic was attached and could not just replace it. The repair cost me a total of $691.03 for a small piece of plastic that was defective. This is totally uncalled for, it's poor engineering an design and it's another way the auto manufactures rob the public to support their dealerships. Very disappointed in this problem and I just get stoned walled from GM. I'm just glad that it happened when we were in town.if we were on interstate this would have cost us a small fortune as we could not have driven the car home and would have had to have it towed.

- Topeka , KS, USA

Oct 162012

Was driving on the interstate and my anti theft light came on in my car. They car would no longer let me accelerate. I had to pull over on the side of the interstate. I turned off my car and restarted it. It continued fine until about a week later when it began to smell like gas. The plastic part on the hose from the fuel pump was broken and leaking. I had read that GM had recalled this in the 5 hot states of Arizona California Florida Nevada and Texas. But have not recalled it in tn even though it is the same problem?

- Hermitage , TN, USA

Sep 102012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G5. The contact stated that the smell of gasoline was present inside and outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump) because he lived in the state of Texas. The failure mileage was 63,862.

- Temple , TX, USA

Aug 142012

G5 4-cyl

Beginning in August of 2012, I started to notice a faint gas smell while driving my car. I thought it was coming from other cars on the road but after a few days I realized it must be my car. I took it to a repair shop and they said the fuel pump needs to be replaced because there is a crack in one of the hoses. He advised me that my car is not safe to drive due to risk of fire. I called my local dealership to order a fuel pump and told them I was upset that a late model car would have this problem. He stated that there was a recall for certain 2006-2007 cobalts/G5's but nothing for the 2008 model year. I'm upset that GM knows about this issue but will not cover repairs ($700 worth) for their customers. I value my safety, apparently General Motors does not.

- Lucas, TX, USA

Jun 202012

G5 4-cyl

I smell fuel and sure enough, I have a fuel leak which is a prob/recall for the make, model and yr. However I have called the dealer and dealer said its not on NHTSA recall list. From 15 feet away we smell gas! it has 93014 miles and the inside of driver door states 8/07 manuf date but however it also says 2008. I need to have this documented in case of fire, due to again, 15 ft or closer their is strong gas smell and no one will help me figure out the real date of this car. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

- Round Rock`, TX, USA

Jun 202012

G5 4-cyl

Over the last few days the inside of my car reeks of gas. It smells bad around the outside of my car as well. The car drives fine but it is slow to start for the first crank of the day. I took the car for an oil change today and was informed that gas was on top of the gas tank and could possibly cause the car to catch fire. I called my local GM dealership and was informed there was no recall on the part, but have searched the web and found numerous fuel/propulsion system problems with the Pontiac G5. Need information on how/when GM is going to fix the issue.

- Atlanta, GA, USA