NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2005 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2005 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2005 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for power steering problems, up to 10 years/100k miles.

As of early 2013 the NHTSA had 300+ steering complaints on file for the 2005 G6, with 12 crashes & 4 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2005 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2005 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2005 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Pontiac G6:

2005 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Aug 182016

Power steering motor and the electronical control stabilizer the steering wheel is hard to turn because it malfunction and I know you'll have a recall for that I took it to a mechanic and he said that's what it is he hooked the computer up to it he even told me that there is a recall I should contact GMC.

- New Caney, TX, USA

Sep 142014

Recall notice, I have been waiting for over a month for parts to come to the dealership.

- Wildwood, FL, USA

Sep 082014

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The parts needed for the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lampasas, TX, USA

Aug 252014

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train); however, the parts needed for the repairs were unavailable. The dealer was uncertain about when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Jul 052012

Where do I begin!!! my G6 I love but apparently the electrical power steering goes out. So, with that being said you have no power steering. Its is really hard to turn your wheel, on highway to get off an exit, pull in to park somewhere, make a tight turn, and try and pull out of a tight parking situation. I realize one of the ways to fix the problem is to get it fix (obviously outrageous price), or just turn the car off and restart that seems to work. So, apparently about 3-4 years ago GM realized this "manufacture defect/recall" but not a safety recall" I don't understand it but you know how big companies are never want to be accountable. Ok, so in 2010 I receive this letter from GM about this loss of power steering but in the letter reminder it states "the vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped." Ok so when you are on the highway??" I work alot and have to travel, and for personal reasons I travel a good bit. I have been very lucky when this defect occurs either someone with me to guide me through it or for some reason the highway is non busy and I can pull over (reminder 2 hands on the wheel with no power steering using all my arm strength to pull over) ok, so again this GM letter, so ok course after trying to jump some hoops I don't meet the requirements for this repair to fix by GM at their cost. That letter states vehicles with less than 100,000miles..yea ok, me I travel!!! crazy so I complain why not right. So, 2 years pass receive a letter from GM again about this "power steering issue" now 150,000ml..again!!!

- New Oxford, PA, USA

Aug 172005

G6 6-cyl

Too many complaints to write them all up, here are a few: Engine makes metal grinding "whooshing" noise independent from acceleration-dealer cannot replicate, warped rotors-dealer wanted over $1,000 to fix, have had radio replaced 5 times due to disc errors-dealer keeps replacing, had steering rack and water pump replaced at 30,000 miles-dealer covered, sensor that turns on lights went-dealer replaced, power steering problems, hard to turn and rough, but no "lock-ups" like others have had(thankfully)-dealer cannot replicate, had drivers side front panel sunroof drain clog, water soaked front carpet(3 inches of water)-dealer fixed but left me with a moldy carpet!, engine flutters/stutters to a start on random-dealer has no answer for me, trunk lid was scraping rear bumper due to latches being tightened wrong-dealer fixed, headlamp full of condensation-dealer fixed, car ridiculously bad in the rain and snow, stability control makes loud grinding noises and causes the car to buck, replaced tires with snow tires, still bad-dealer has no answer for me, large deep scratch across windshield right in the line of view from Contour oem windshield wipers, dealer said too bad. Those are just a few, I cant remember them all, this car is such a lemon. Im sticking with Toyota from now on! I learned my lesson!

- East Bridgewater, MA, USA