NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2005 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2005 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2005 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for power steering problems, up to 10 years/100k miles.

As of early 2013 the NHTSA had 300+ steering complaints on file for the 2005 G6, with 12 crashes & 4 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2005 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2005 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2005 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Pontiac G6:

2005 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 082013

G6 6-cyl

At the time of purchase, I noticed that the cruise control worked intermittently. I brought this to the attention of the sales staff and was told that, due to the price I was paying, there was "no room left to repair something not safety related". this was agreeable to me, so I left it at that. I drove the car for several months with no other apparent issues. Some time later I followed my wife in our other vehicle while she drove the Pontiac. I witnessed the brake lights stay on during times when the lights should not be on. Pulling up to a stop, I witnessed the brake lights go out. Basically, the brake lights stay on when the brake pedal is not being applied, and go out when the pedal is being applied. I contacted the dealership I bought the car from and was told that this is not a warranty issue, but a recall issue. After contacting GM, I was told this is not part of their very limited recall as "the recall is VIN specific".

- Beloit, WI, USA

Jul 232013

G6 6-cyl

Gear shift will not shift from park to drive without excessive force on the brakes, brake lamps stuck on/off when brake is not depressed, and/or on when it is depressed.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Jun 012012

G6

The brake lights do not work most of the time. They are usually backwards (red when driving and off when braking).

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Sep 252012

G6 6-cyl

The brake lamps illuminate when the brake pedal has not been depressed, or the lamps may not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Mar 012013

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights will come on without the pedal being depressed and will go out when I do step on the pedal. When I apply more pressure, the lights will come back on and then when I step off the pedal they do go back off. However, after a few seconds, the lights come back on.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Jun 232011

G6 6-cyl

When the brakes are applied, the tail lights go out. While driving the brake lights are on causing cruise control not to engage. The brake pedal position sensor has already had the dielectric grease put in the connector but still malfunctions.

- Stanley, NY, USA

Feb 012007

G6

I read your article today regarding brake light problems with Pontiac G6. I have had to take my G6 into the dealer twice for brake light problems. In the first scenario, my brake light would not turn off and caused problems with my battery. This was covered under warranty. In the second incident, my brake light would not work and I had to pay for that repair. Since the dealer performed all repairs, there is a record of repairs on file. I still have my G6 today.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Aug 082012

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the rear brake lights erroneously illuminated without the brakes being applied. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the brake pedal switch shorted internally and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 75,000..... updated 02-20-13 the consumer stated the cruise control would not engage and the traction control would randomly turn on. The vehicle was repaired. Updated 02/21/2013

- Buffalo, NY, USA