NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2005 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 4)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2005 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2005 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for power steering problems, up to 10 years/100k miles.

As of early 2013 the NHTSA had 300+ steering complaints on file for the 2005 G6, with 12 crashes & 4 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2005 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2005 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2005 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Pontiac G6:

2005 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 182016

G6

Power steering motor and the electronical control stabilizer the steering wheel is hard to turn because it malfunction and I know you'll have a recall for that I took it to a mechanic and he said that's what it is he hooked the computer up to it he even told me that there is a recall I should contact GMC.

- New Caney, TX, USA

Oct 032006

G6

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. While driving 60 mph and depressing the brake pedal, the steering and brake pedal shook violently. In addition, while driving, the vehicle stalled without warning and the ignition switch beeped as if the key was inserted in the ignition switch. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V153000, 14E044000 (steering) and 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 185,598.

- South Saint Paul, MN, USA

Aug 312015

G6

As I was driving, the steering wheel felt loose. As I was coming to a stop I noticed it became extremely hard to make a right turn after stopping at the stop sign. Also I bought 2 remotes already for the vehicle and neither would work or register. And also every time I open my car door with the key the alarm goes off which is very embarrassing as I have to sit there until it stops.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Feb 032014

G6

The contact owned a 2005 Pontiac G6. While driving at 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and the vehicle rolled over multiple times into a ditch. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained neck and shoulder injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The failure mileage was unknown.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Oct 082014

G6

While driving on the highway and approaching her exit, the electronic power steering failed and completely locked on my client's car. This is a downhill exit ramp off the highway. Her car pulled to the right and she was unable to steer her car left to follow the curvature of the exit ramp. As a result the car veered off the exit ramp, struck a pole and began to spin out of control. The car continued to spin down into the embankment and came to rest after landing on its side. The car stopped on the driver's side wheels as if it was about to roll over. The car eventually fell down on all four wheels and was facing oncoming traffic. There was a recall issued on the electronic power steering but parts to correct the problem were not made available to my client.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 302014

G6

I was driving in a area at 35 zone then it goes to 55. I accelerated and all the dash lights went to like I just started the car and it felt like I could not steer the vehicle.

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 022015

G6 6-cyl

2005 Pontiac G6 GT. Consumer states that been having a problem removing the ignition key from the ignition and transmission issue.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 162014

G6 6-cyl

2005 Pontiac G6. While vehicle in motion, vehicle lost power and lost power steering. The consumer experienced problems with the brake lamp, the ignition switch and the transmission cable fractured.

- Sault Sainte Marie, MI, USA

Oct 242014

G6

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (electrical system).however, the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to specify when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Evans , CO, USA

Aug 042014

G6 6-cyl

While driving home my alarm system light blinked on then stayed on. The headlights shut off and turned on. After I parked the car and turned off the engine the theft deterrent system activated and my car would not start for 45 mins. I followed all reset procedures nothing worked. Had to disconnect and reconnect alarm. Now alarm will not work and the trunk/doors open or unlock randomly, radio turns off, lights turn off. Problem has been happening for a few weeks now noone in town knows how to fix.

- Topeka , KS, USA

Sep 082014

G6

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The parts needed for the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lampasas, TX, USA

Aug 262014

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). However, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 09/30/14 updated 02/27/2015

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 252014

G6

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train); however, the parts needed for the repairs were unavailable. The dealer was uncertain about when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Aug 012008

G6

Bought car used from individual. Lots of issues with it. Steering locks up when driving, take key out and car still runs, lights shut down when driving, traction control kicks in and messes with car. Steering caused me to almost wreck 2X and has had me have to shift to neutral and shut car down on interstate and restart to try to be able to steer.

- Ruffs Dale , PA, USA

Jun 032014

G6

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the part for the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 012010

G6

My G6 currently is not covered in the recent recalls for this problem (not manufactured in the right month): My problem is the same as other G6 owners where my brake lights will illuminate while driving, and will not illuminate when my brakes are applied, which also affects my cruise control. Over the last 3 years I have had the dielectric lubricant applied 3 times and after 8-12 months the problem returns.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Jun 202014

G6

The electrical power steering in my car constantly malfunctions while I am driving down the road. I only have this one vehicle and have no other means of transportation. I am afraid that it is going to go completely out and I may lose control of my car.

- Monroeville, AL, USA

Feb 102014

G6 6-cyl

I have had problems with exhaust failure, electrical with the front head lights and turn signal working and not working, and the car not wanting to start up, when car is put in drive wanting to move at fast speed when let foot off brake.

- Utica, KY, USA

Apr 042014

G6

1- the car was coming to a stop at a red light when it just completely turned off. Lights, power locks, windows, radio, the car, everything. Would not start after that. After about 5 minutes of sitting at the red light with a completely dead car (with my keys in my lap) the car started on its own. 2- went to get into my car after coming out of the store - the car was trying to reboot itself. All the accessories would turn on, but the car remained dead and would not start. Let sit for about 5-8 minutes (after it tried to start itself about 5 times) - I could start the car 3- came out of the store and it was once again, completely dead where nothing work (could not lock or unlock the doors even). About 10 minutes after of letting it sit, the locks started clicking (as in unlocking, locking, unlocking, locking). Then it started on its own, with my keys in my lap.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jul 282009

G6 6-cyl

I have been having issues with the brake lights on my vehicle for almost the entire time I have owned the vehicle. As it has been revealed in a recall for this vehicle (NHTSA campaign number: 09V036000) the brake lights do not function properly -- they turn on when I am not hitting the brakes and turn off when I do hit the brakes. In July 2009 I thought I had the issue fixed when I took the car to a GM dealer to be repaired under the recall. However, despite the vehicle being fixed under the recall the brake lights still do not work properly. I just got approached by someone following me a couple of days ago that my brake lights are not working again.

- Columbus, OH, USA