NHTSA — Equipment Problems Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Dec 072010

My current problem with my 2006 Pontiac G6 sounds the same as the recall for the 2009 Pontiac G6. Today (12-8-10) I had to bring in my car in to the dealer after putting my car in park, which then proceeded to roll. The wiring system did not seem to recognize park or disconnected from the transmission. I later tried to turn the ignition and the car would not turn on at all. 4 months ago I brought it in for the key getting stuck in the ignition because the car didn't recognize it as being in park. Three other times I had issues with the brake/foot peddles. I would have to break to accelerate and drive to slow down or it would not accelerate at all until it reached 30mph. It would automatically drive in traction control and read decreased engine power on the panel. In addition, I have recently had a fountain of water pouring into my car surrounding the sunroof on either side of panels btwn the front and rear windows, resulting in severe interior damage and subsequent mold spores growing. Instead of the filter surrounding the sunroof filtering water out, it is filtering water in.

- Audubon, NJ, USA

Dec 102009

G6 6-cyl

3rd time same could not fix...steering failure. Doing 70mph on highway on long trip, steering totally went out....I reported this again to dealer and they had no fix. They witnessed clunking and wobbles as well as a groan in steering and could not identify it. I got G.M. involved and they did nothing..even though dangerous and certified used car. Dealer then put me in another 2006 G6-gtp (coupe)for less money then I paid for original and now have same issues with the new one!!!!!!!! I spend more time at dealer then driving car...and now will lose my job due to time off for dealer and so-called band aid repairs.

- N.Miami Beach, FL, USA

Oct 162009

All four brakes and rotors replaced at 22,000 miles due to pre-mature wear and sub-standard original parts. Dealership wanted outrageous prices to replace with the same crap parts. Also suggested replacing a failed ball joint and strut which was just out of warranty. Offered minimal assistance from GM, so went to Mr. Tire which was much better and cheaper. This car is just made poorly.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

May 132006

My problems started with this car before I even got home with my new purchase. I had 2 children in the car and the tire blew off the rim damaging the fender notes from the invoice state that "parts and labor to be billed to 67D 67F, cannot warr tire that has been mounted wrong on 1st repair" then on 6/26/06 paint was refinished due to clear coat peeling on the hood. On 11/06/06 radio does not play cd's and radio was replaced. 3K mile service with motor silk. Also airbag light was staying on and they said they found a wire to SDM loose and repaired wire. Also right rear tire was leaking air. 4/20/2007 engine was knocking loud when first started in morning at that time they replaced the lifters. The engine was replaced shortly after that and again had problems with the air bag light staying, dealership again said it was a sensor but this is only a few of many issues I've been having with this car. Please contact me and we will go through each one or you can contact the dealership where this lemon was purchased and request the records (I have a copy too)....

- Richmond, KY, USA

Jul 032008

When I first purchased the car it only had 10 miles on it and within the next 6 months it would not start and had to be towed to the dealership 3 times. The first 2 times I was told that there was some loose wiring or that the wire was to close to a component and the component melted the plastic covering the wires. The third time I was told there was a problem with the security information but, it was corrected. Then at 40,000 miles the car started jerking whenever I drove it. It seemed as if the gas was not getting to the engine quick enough (I'm not a mechanic) then the mileage went considerably down. For a full tank of gas I used to get 451 miles this is told through the fuel monitor that is in the car. But, after this began occurring the monitor would state 239 miles after I filled it up! I have had to fill-up 6 times in 2 weeks. When a tank of gas used to last 2 weeks for me. I went to the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from and was told that I am no longer under warranty so they would have to charge me to diagnose the vehicle. Once they diagnosed the car they stated that it was the catalytic converter and the would replace free of charge and that I would not have to pay for the diagnostic test either. While I was ecstatic to know that they were going to fix my vehicle at no charge to me, warning bells did sound off immediately. When I received the invoice back from them it stated that these items were replaced: Oxidation catalytic converter, 2 gaskets, 1 pipe and 2 manifold core chg. And after all of this work which took from 8:30A.M to 2:00pm, my mileage monitor is now reporting 300 miles for a full tank of gas when originally I was getting 451. After reading all of these complaints re. This vehicle I am just disgusted. I will review this site when purchasing my next vehicle which I think will be pretty soon.

- Richmond, VA, USA